Displaced Texan

Laser Excited Phosphor flashlights

Wow! Have you guys seen these? 

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/04/12/friday-night-lights-weltool-w3-featherless-arrow-lep-laser-excited-phosphor-flashlight/

I’ve known about LEP technology for quite awhile (we use the concept in my industry), but I never knew it was used for flashlights! Its very impressive. 

I just bought a Fenix TK30, 1200 meter range, to play with at the ranch. https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-tk30-white-laser-flashlight/#reviews
Out there, I’d have the range to utilize its capability. 

Does anyone own one of these, or any other LEP flashlight? I’d like to hear what you think about them. 

We (used to) use LEP technology to detect X-ray scatter on a phosphor image plate. It would show the diffraction of a molecular structure after it was exposed to an X-ray beam. After exposure to xrays, the image was read using a laser beam scanner. The excited phosphor left dark ‘spots’ on the plate, and the laser would pick up the pixel intensity, and display it on a computer screen. These images were merged together, each spot was tracked and mapped, to build a 3D model of the molecule in software. 
Phosphor image plate systems have pretty much gone by the wayside. 
Now we use digital pixel array detectors, which are incredibly fast, and zero noise. The 3d imaging software is virtually the same process. 

The LEP flashlights aren’t really designed for illuminating near objects. They have a focused beam, and are suitable for long range illumination. I’m thinking it might be very useful for hunting feral hogs at night. 

In any case, this will be cool to play with. 

BMW and Mercedes is using laser headlights on their cars, using a very similar technology as LEP flashlights .

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Interesting technology.  I had read they were doing cool things with headlights in Europe (phased array, individually pointed LEDs).  This is the same tech. 

$268 for a handheld spotlight. Probably pretty niche for now. 

Thats not even expensive considering the cost of high end flash lights. 

It’s here. Charging the battery now, but the quick test of this thing was incredible!! Very focused, intense beam! In low power mode, you can light something up at 600m. High power range is 1200m. 
Output is 500 lumens, and intensity is 363,866 candela. 

I can’t wait to play with it! 

89763BC0-C68D-493B-9BF3-E56A2D69414D.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

It’s here. Charging the battery now, but the quick test of this thing was incredible!! Very focused, intense beam! In low power mode, you can light something up at 600m. High power range is 1200m. 
Output is 500 lumens, and intensity is 363,866 candela. 

I can’t wait to play with it! 

89763BC0-C68D-493B-9BF3-E56A2D69414D.jpeg

Please do report back when you get a chance to play with it. Think I might need one

the collimated LEDs are better throwers than the LEP lights... for now. the weltool once is much smaller than the previous ones I have seen. 

As for bright lights, there are tons of rioters using high lumen lights to strobe people.