Pizza Bob

Johnny Dangerously

CMJeepster - you may not remember this, but when you were examining the 686 that you bought, there was a fellow down the counter , purchasing one of these Model 29 Silhouette revolvers. It had a lasting impression on me. I shot silhouette from 1977 thru 1985.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 hour ago, Pizza Bob said:

I shot silhouette from 1977 thru 1985.

I wish I'd had the opportunity to, but never lived close to a metallic silhouette range.   Both the rifle and pistol versions seemed like they'd be an incredible amount of fun. 

I got to try it exactly once, and I can say it's a real rush to knock over the rams at 200 meters with an open sight 6" .357. (yeah, I was underequipped for the sport, and the rams weren't falling nearly often enough for me to be competitive).

3 minutes ago, 10X said:

...it's a real rush to knock over the ram at 200 meters with an open sight 6" .357. (yeah, I was underequipped for the sport, and the rams weren't falling nearly often enough for me to be competitive).

I shot in the first match in the east, up in MA. The winner of that match was shooting an AMU accurized 1911 with King sights. He was using military match hardball. I remember standing behind him on the line, when he was firing at the 200m rams. There was an easily discernable pause between the bang and the clang. You could literally see the bullet in a rainbow trajectory and it was interesting to see him make several full turns of the elevation screw on the rear sight when adjusting for the next bank of targets.

I would hazard to say that he was more undergunned than you were. LOL

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 hour ago, Pizza Bob said:

CMJeepster - you may not remember this, but when you were examining the 686 that you bought, there was a fellow down the counter , purchasing one of these Model 29 Silhouette revolvers. It had a lasting impression on me. I shot silhouette from 1977 thru 1985.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I don't as I was really excited to get the 686.  That thing is nuts!

33 minutes ago, Handyman said:

That's a real thing? I always thought that was a movie prop. Son of a bastage!

Both the gun in the movie and the gun I just purchased are "real" things. The gun in the movie is a long barreled Colt New Service revolver in .45 Colt and mine, of course, is a S&W 29-3 Silhouette made from 1983 - 1991 - this specific one dates from 1988.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Informative 1