leo-польд

NICS delays is only in NJ

Just talked to my friends from Illinois's, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina and even Massachusetts over Zello gun lover group and non of these states are having such Nics delays as we do currently. 5 days is insane! People are buying guns in min, yes same tons of new people there and lines and no ammo. Is there some purpose behind all these delays? To make us angry and unhappy about this state even more? 

2 minutes ago, leo-польд said:

...Is there some purpose behind all these delays?...

Of course there is!

It is to keep us as disarmed as the Trenton Swamp Creatures can get away with.

And also to stuff their greedy fists with our hard earned dollars, at $15 (or more) per NICS check, which the NJSP do for free utilizing the FBI database, as most states allow their FFLs to do, instantly no less!

Just wait until Gov Gopher gets the legislature to force ammo sellers to do NICS check on ammo purchasers.

What starts in Commifornia generally spreads to the other Progressive states, just like a bad case of herpes.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, njJoniGuy said:

Just wait until Gov Gopher gets the legislature to force ammo sellers to do NICS check on ammo purchasers.

What starts in Commifornia generally spreads to the other Progressive states, just like a bad case of herpes.

It's against federal law to use the NICS database for any other purpose, I.e. Ammo sales. I believe that CA had to populate their own database. Of course that would be at taxpayer expense.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Agree 1

I had a check on Saturday, December 19 that came back by noon on Monday, December 21.

I initiated another on January 31 that hasn't come back.  Of course that includes a limited workday, a holiday and a weekend.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nucrunner said:

Any NICs updates for January 5, 2021? 
(how long)
Thanks 

( Is there a place to look to see if this info is regularly posted?)

Yesterday, 1/4, NICS was working on submissions from 12/27.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nucrunner said:

Any NICs updates for January 5, 2021? 
(how long)
Thanks 

( Is there a place to look to see if this info is regularly posted?)

https://www.njportal.com/njsp/nicsverification

They will sometimes post the number of submissions in the que and tell us the day they are working on.

For the past few days, they have been saying....

"In an effort to protect the health and safety of all personnel, the NICS Unit will experience reduced in-office staffing levels from Tuesday, December 12, 2020 through Tuesday, January 5, 2020. NICS checks will continue to be completed during this time. However, please anticipate delays as we work through these challenging times. Your patience is appreciated."

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 9:40 PM, Pizza Bob said:

It's against federal law to use the NICS database for any other purpose, I.e. Ammo sales. I believe that CA had to populate their own database. Of course that would be at taxpayer expense.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

When has the law stopped the State of NJ from doing what it wants?

On 1/5/2021 at 3:59 PM, EdF said:

I had a check on Saturday, December 19 that came back by noon on Monday, December 21.

I initiated another on January 31 that hasn't come back.  Of course that includes a limited workday, a holiday and a weekend.

My check came back today . . . So, if I assume that NJSP wasn't working 12/31 or 1/1, that's basically three working days.

I should add . . . This gun was ordered online December 11 and shipped USPS Priority Mail on December 14.  My FFL didn't receive it until December 28 and USPS tracking couldn't tell me where it was after the 18th.  

I'll be picking it up this afternoon which means that the whole sale took five days short of a month.

Edited by EdF
Addition information added
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, leo-польд said:

Question was - why is that delaying so much here in NJ while same covid and lines of people in any state around?

You should be able to answer that yourself.  The state is anti-gun.  Most things here are more difficult than they are in most states.  This can be seen by the variability of time frames seen city to city.

But, I'm also sure that every other state is seeing some sort of delay because of Covid and the increase in the number checks being run.

8 hours ago, EdF said:

You should be able to answer that yourself.  The state is anti-gun.  Most things here are more difficult than they are in most states.  This can be seen by the variability of time frames seen city to city.

But, I'm also sure that every other state is seeing some sort of delay because of Covid and the increase in the number checks being run.

Not really, as I said in original post it takes in the most states around the same time to get Nics back as before covid. I have friends with guns in Massachusetts, Virginia, N Carolina, Pensilvania, Georgia, Florida, Arkansas, and even in California!!! Neither is complaining on NICS  is slow as 5 days now in NJ. Yes all without guns and ammo in stores but nobody is complaining on Nics.

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2021 at 5:52 AM, leo-польд said:

Not really, as I said in original post it takes in the most states around the same time to get Nics back as before covid. I have friends with guns in Massachusetts, Virginia, N Carolina, Pensilvania, Georgia, Florida, Arkansas, and even in California!!! Neither is complaining on NICS  is slow as 5 days now in NJ. Yes all without guns and ammo in stores but nobody is complaining on Nics.

You're still missing the point . . . Only a small portion of the time that you are "waiting for a NICS check" is actually the check.  Most of the time that you are waiting, you are actually waiting for the NJSP to pick up the work (online or paper, it doesn't matter) then the check is done quickly, then the NJSP has to communicate the status back to your local PD.  The slow down IS here in NJ.  It doesn't take 5 days to run a NICS.

• Agree 1

No, it's not 5 days, it's 8 days now. Got my P2P in 19 days start to finish. Gonna take almost half that just for the redundant NICS check.

File online with NJSP, another background check with Local PD, and then another NJSP background check. Criminals have it so much easier.

7 hours ago, EdF said:

You're still missing the point . . . Only a small portion of the time that you are "waiting for a NICS check" is actually the check.  Most of the time that you are waiting, you are actually waiting for the NJSP to pick up the work (online or paper, it doesn't matter) then the check is done quickly, then the NJSP has to communicate the status back to your local PD.  The slow down IS here in NJ.  It doesn't take 5 days to run a NICS.

This is true. I bought a few rifles in NY in September and the auction house apologized that the check took so long. 15 minutes.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:32 AM, brucin said:

I submitted 1/9/21. I'll keep everyone up to date when I'm approved.

1/14/21 approved for pick up. I am surprised it was that quick and the fact that I'm surprised is quite sad.

16 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

Purchased a 10-22 this morning, shop said it’s taking 14-15 days for the NICS check.  

Bull. They're working on applications from 1/12 today. Right now they're running about 6 days out.

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 1.57.37 PM.png

On 1/15/2021 at 3:18 PM, raz-0 said:

As to the thread title "It's only NJ" this graphic might explain why. The NJ was not prepared in any way for that hit, and is not staffed for the ongoing load. 

f5twtsa4thb61.jpg

So, before covid we are waiting 20min max to buy a gun, based in this ^ it should go up max 5 times. Still not 5 days as now. Also increase of buying guns is in any states around, why is NJ is only place in US which is taking so long? It is unexplainable, besides they are working slower while covid. I found similar issues with the other government offices in NJ, they just having excuse for working way slower in NJ somehow.

It is inexcusable for NJ to not be able to process a NICS check in minutes. VA is a point of sale state and I have been buying quite a few guns lately. The check has never taken more than 5-7 minutes. The state of NJ should be sued for this. How can all of the other POS states perform the NICS check the same day and NJ cannot?

• Agree 2