leo-польд

NICS delays is only in NJ

Just another way for them to hassle gun buyers. I just got 3 handgun permits that have to be used in 90 days and with OGAM and delayed NICS, I'm probably gonna have to get an extension on the third one. Total Bullshit

3 hours ago, leo-польд said:

So, before covid we are waiting 20min max to buy a gun, based in this ^ it should go up max 5 times. Still not 5 days as now. Also increase of buying guns is in any states around, why is NJ is only place in US which is taking so long? It is unexplainable, besides they are working slower while covid. I found similar issues with the other government offices in NJ, they just having excuse for working way slower in NJ somehow.

Not that I justify the shit tier performance of nj’s nics wrapper, but your statement isn’t accurate.  That line marked covid restrictions begin. I’d did a purchase a month and a bit before that and one literally a day before lockdown. Well reality is it was two days before lockdown. Because that’s how long it took to actually get approved. The one back in February took about 40 minutes. 

But that chart isn’t nics. It’s applications. And I did mine way back in October 2019 to get them and but in February and March of 2020. And you can just dig around this board and read the nice delays thread. It hasn’t been the old typical 15 minute nice check for a long time. 

I applied amid typical Nj volume and waited between one hour and two days. We have increased that volume and we are now at 4-5x that. Even assuming a linear response, which it likely isn’t, the wait is going to suck. 

Typical NJ volume has never taken me more than 1 1/2 hours. It's only since the Chinese Virus and the BLM riots that waiting times have gone up. All of a sudden people who never thought they would own a gun are running into gun shops and buying everything on the shelves. I usually buy through Howell (almost nothing in stock), but lately have to go down to Shooters to get my firearms.

I think part of the long delay has to do with the state trying to discourage gun buyers.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FDHog said:

Typical NJ volume has never taken me more than 1 1/2 hours. It's only since the Chinese Virus and the BLM riots that waiting times have gone up. All of a sudden people who never thought they would own a gun are running into gun shops and buying everything on the shelves. I usually buy through Howell (almost nothing in stock), but lately have to go down to Shooters to get my firearms.

I think part of the long delay has to do with the state trying to discourage gun buyers.

There are literary threads on here documenting Nj nics taking a shit long before all of this. The fact that it has achieved new levels of suck is not surprising. 

51 minutes ago, fihe said:

I was watching some video today and reading the comments where this guy in Florida said his NICS check took hours.  Mine here in NJ took 6 days :\

I definitely don’t miss all that crap....I bought a rifle last Thursday at the Cabelas in Delaware ....and once everything was filled out by me and them and they hit submit their system starts a timer.....and when the response is received it shows the elapsed time for the research and send the “proceed”... I’m usually in the low 20 seconds....last Thursday it was 12seconds....

The system is name based.

If your name is Galen Marcus McClusterford, more than likely when the submit button is hit, it will be an instant approval. If your name is Joseph William Brown, expect a 20 to 40 minute delay at the minimum, and more than likely 3 business days.

18 hours ago, PK90 said:

The system is name based.

If your name is Galen Marcus McClusterford, more than likely when the submit button is hit, it will be an instant approval. If your name is Joseph William Brown, expect a 20 to 40 minute delay at the minimum, and more than likely 3 business days.

SSN . . . 

On 1/16/2021 at 1:42 PM, Redeye65 said:

Purchased a 10-22 this morning, shop said it’s taking 14-15 days for the NICS check.  

So, the guy at the gun store was pretty much full of bull, just got the call my check came back. Rifle is ready.  

To answer the OPs question... Why is it 5+ days in NJ and still minutes to hours in other states doing NICS checks?

I'm no expert and have zero first hand knowledge, but I've asked the same question at my FFL out of curiosity. I was told the difference in many other states is they do an instant NICS check (directly to NICS database). In NJ it goes to the State Police and they have a trained squirrel who reviews each NICS application by clicking a button for an acorn when it gets hungry, which then sends each NICS check out to the NICS system. I think they generally keep the squirrel overfed, so it doesn't click the "give me an acorn" button very often.

Oh and the squirrel is a state employee, so of course it only works Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, minus at least 1 hour for lunch, and is off on holidays (usually getting fat and overfed) obviously.

BTW... I'm only being half sarcastic. My understanding is that this is basically how NICS gets processed in NJ. Someone has to do something with each check before it actually gets processed through the federal NICS system. It ain't automated. Well it is, with a meat sack in the middle to slow it all to a crawl. Someone here probably knows better, but that's what I've been told.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1