Dr. Goodshot

Getting purchase permit when you already have FID

When you apply for a permit to purchase a handgun, and you already have an FID, do you have to do the entire process again? I understand that you don't have to get re-fingerprinted, but do they send the mental health check again to the states you lived in before New Jersey? I mean, if they already got that information from those states, isn't it in their files? I obviously haven't been committed in another state if I haven't been back to that state since coming to NJ.

Also, do I have to get two references again like I did the time before?

Other than fingerprinting, what else is different when you apply for the permit after you've gotten an FID? Do they use the information they already have in their files?

If I moved to NJ from, say, California in the last ten years, then when I apply for an FID they send a letter to CA asking if I've ever been thrown into a looney bin in that state. So if I go to apply for subsequent permits, it would be silly of them to ask CA again, since they've already told them that I haven't, and I haven't lived in that state since my first application. So why don't they just look in their files and see that the query has already been answered? They should, but I have a feeling they don't.

16 hours ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

If I moved to NJ from, say, California in the last ten years, then when I apply for an FID they send a letter to CA asking if I've ever been thrown into a looney bin in that state. So if I go to apply for subsequent permits, it would be silly of them to ask CA again, since they've already told them that I haven't, and I haven't lived in that state since my first application. So why don't they just look in their files and see that the query has already been answered? They should, but I have a feeling they don't.

It would seem silly. Which means it is almost assuredly the way it works.