JJames

Delays in getting FID and pistol permits

Hello,

I went to the NJ FARS website and completed an application for my Firearms ID and 2 pistol permits on 11/11/2020. I received emails that my two references have supplied the required information and my application was updated. I went on 11/17/2020 to get fingerprinted. That was $95 because I had to go to out of state to PA to get that done. No appointments were available in my area. Background check appears to be complete at the state level. Nowhere on the FARS website did I see anything directing me to go to the local PD website to pay for the FID and permits. I called local PD and they gave me the website to pay the $9 for the FID and permits. I was told the local PD also has to do a background check. Is that true? Also, the officer at the local PD said they are backed up processing applications. How long can I expect to wait for the phone call from local PD to pickup my Firearms ID and pistol permits at the local PD? Thanks for any info you can provide. 

Best regards. 

Wow. 2 months is crazy. Its so much easier and efficient in Pennsylvania in comparison to New Jersey. It sounds like I could be waiting until sometime in January. Does the local PD actually call you or do they email you to let you know to pickup your ID and pistol permits? I saw that pistol permits are going all digital and won’t be paper now. Do you know how that works? Do they just email the pistol permits to you? Thanks for your help. 

Thanks for the reply. I may be moving to a more 2A friendly state. This process seems ridiculous and it’s like they make it difficult and frustrated to discourage you from going through the process. It wasn’t that easy either putting all the pieces together to figure out the process. Pennsylvania is so much easier. You can essentially walk in and within an hour walk out with a rifle. I read that the governor wants to tax each firearm $200 annually. Is that true?

14 hours ago, JJames said:

Thanks for the reply. I may be moving to a more 2A friendly state. This process seems ridiculous and it’s like they make it difficult and frustrated to discourage you from going through the process. It wasn’t that easy either putting all the pieces together to figure out the process. Pennsylvania is so much easier. You can essentially walk in and within an hour walk out with a rifle. I read that the governor wants to tax each firearm $200 annually. Is that true?

It is ridiculous and it's Biden that wants to do that tax.

1 hour ago, JJames said:

Thanks for clarifying. Yes. That would be a Biden tax. But I thought I saw that Murphy wanted to impose some sort of tax as well. Or maybe it was some other type of infringement on our 2A at the state level. I could be wrong. 

He wanted to raise fees for everything and thankfully the legislature shot that shit down.

I applied 11/22/20 for fid and 1 pp.

Reference’s completed questionnaire by 11/23/20.

Fingerprints submitted 11/24/20.

Received email form state police 11/27/20 that background check was complete.

now waiting for local pd to give me the green light to pick up fid.

I called my local firearm detective 11/30/20 asking how long is the usual wait, and he told me 1-2 months, and that there’s about 1400 applications before me. 

police department - Clifton Police 

10 hours ago, JJames said:

1-2 months is crazy, but it is what it is. Next door in PA you can walk in and walk out an hour later with a long gun and pistol. NJ gun laws are ridiculous. Much thanks for the reply. I can at least re-adjust my expectations. 

What PD is it?

BTW, since you're apparently a newbie to all this, in some cases 1-2 months is breathtakingly fast. In my lifetime in NJ I have waited anywhere from five days to seven months. The bulk of the waiting periods were skewed towards the longer.

8 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

What PD is it?

BTW, since you're apparently a newbie to all this, in some cases 1-2 months is breathtakingly fast. In my lifetime in NJ I have waited anywhere from five days to seven months. The bulk of the waiting periods were skewed towards the longer.

7 months is absurd... you’re aloud to contact your local pd to ask about your application, that usually helps. That’s what I’ve been told just be polite and make your point. 

9 minutes ago, Mattj19 said:

7 months is absurd... you’re aloud to contact your local pd to ask about your application, that usually helps. That’s what I’ve been told just be polite and make your point. 

Yes it was. And calling made no difference.

1 minute ago, Mattj19 said:

What pd?

NJSP in the 00s. My first FID and permits application was in Madison in the early 70's. Took over three months. In that case when, after getting the run around on several occasions, I called and asked to speak to the Chief, suddenly the permits would be ready the next day.

I still remember when I walked in there to submit my applications. The first question was "What do you want a gun for?".

28 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I still remember when I walked in there to submit my applications. The first question was "What do you want a gun for?".

I would have been tempted to say "Shooting bullets. I wouldn't use a gun to flip burgers, would I?"

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

I would have been tempted to say "Shooting bullets. I wouldn't use a gun to flip burgers, would I?"

lol. I don’t understand why they would ask that question, every US citizen has the right to bear arms if you’re not a criminal and mentally sane. It’s not like we’re doing anything illegal or out of the ordinary to legally own firearms... are identities are in they’re hands and the fbi

22 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

They pulled that crap on my GF at the time in East Hanover.

What do you want a gun for? Target shooting she answered, (for some reason I suspected they were going to ask that and had briefed her on what to say. 

Then the cop whips out to a polaroid camera and takes her photo!

Yes, she was very attractive but that is not part of the application process.  Sick bastard probably took it home with him..

2.5mos and counting for my p2p

6mos and counting for my fiances fid

Called my local pd about in the beginning of Nov and all I received back was a generic email response that they are no longer able to provide updates and that they will call when its ready.  Thinking of calling again after the new year, but I don't want my app to get "lost."

11 hours ago, 45Doll said:

What PD is it?

I’m actually not a newbie. I only recently moved to NJ, against my will, but due to some family concerns. I’ve lived in other states where it’s a fast and painless process. So hearing this long wait time from others, it’s quite discouraging. 

Just for comparison, last year before Coronavirus and the FARS system my town processed PP's in about 35 days.

Extensions were easy as well, just walked in and the girl in the records dept. wrote a new date on the PP.

No idea what the time frame is now.

11 hours ago, JJames said:

I’m actually not a newbie. I only recently moved to NJ, against my will, but due to some family concerns. I’ve lived in other states where it’s a fast and painless process. So hearing this long wait time from others, it’s quite discouraging. 

Then your pain is all the more acute. Mine was relieved somewhat recently when I also became a resident of PA, where under the most adverse circumstances I can purchase a firearm in less than an hour. And have a LTCF.

And by 'newbie' I was really referring to all the NJ legal firearm bull shit.

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Then your pain is all the more acute. Mine was relieved somewhat recently when I also became a resident of PA, where under the most adverse circumstances I can purchase a firearm in less than an hour. And have a LTCF.

And by 'newbie' I was really referring to all the NJ legal firearm bull shit.

Yes. It’s maddening. I came from PA and it was such an easy process. The way it should be. NJ is beyond ridiculous. I’m not sure why anyone would want to live in NJ. I did grow up in NJ when it wasn’t like this. It was a great city growing up. Safe. A real great community. Everyone knew each other. Some of my greatest childhood members. Now I’m concerned stopping at certain stop signs or red lights in particular areas. What makes it worse is I can’t conceal carry. Not legally at least. I’m only in the state for a short time. Everything about the state is horrible now. Except for the tomato pie, pork roll, blueberries, corn and the Stone Pony venue. Lol. I hope to be in a 2A friendly state by 2023-2024. Taxes alone are killing me. The governor is horrible and all the local politicians are corrupt to their core. Sorry to rant. Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikep said:

I applied on Oct 12th, was told maybe by Feb sometime!

UNREAL! It saddens me what’s happened to my home state. I moved back temporarily due to some family concerns but I can’t wait to get out of this corrupt and God forsaken state. I will always be proud to call NJ my home state because my childhood growing up in NJ was incredible. I’ll always have those great memories of what NJ was. It’s a mere shell of what it was 40+ years ago. Truly sad.