xXxplosive

Does anyone know or care....

Does anyone know or care that today we honor those who died at Pearl Harbor, December 7th.....both my uncle and aunt survived the attack by the Japanese fighter planes that day......

At 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time, a Japanese dive bomber bearing the red symbol of the Rising Sun of Japan on its wings appears out of the clouds above the island of Oahu. A swarm of 360 Japanese warplanes followed, descending on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in a ferocious assault.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

As my uncle told me...Both my Uncle and Aunt were Officers and lived in the Officer's huts not the barracks. They awoke that morning hearing the commotion as it began but thought it was our planes again on manuveres as they were on the day before....they realized it was real when the bombs started dropping. They were both standing on a small wooden balcony attached to the front of the hut when a Japanese fighter plane began straifing the huts with machine gunfire....lucky they were both in the vortex of the wing guns as rounds flew around them completely destroying their hut......all medical staff was immediately called to the hospital where my uncle who was a DDS. .....I remember, he laughed and said...I believe I'm the only dentist who ever performed an emergency castration.

My uncle was there, Navy man, would never speak about it, but god help the person who had anything bad to say about his country.

His oldest sister kept a clipping book of all the battles he and his aircraft carrier were in, my god, what that man must have experienced and seen. That clipping book was the only way I found out anything about my uncles time in the navy.

My family was big on the Knights of Columbus, most if not all were members, every Dec 7th, my father and my uncle would sit in the corner and have a beer alone, as a small child, never knew why, would ask my mother, she would say, leave them alone. After reading the clippings book, I knew why.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1