Sniper

Got Eggs, Milk and Bread? It's Snowmaggedon!!

Just now, gleninjersey said:

Liberals.  I'm surprised every day isn't a "state of emergency" for them.  Everything "triggers" them.

SOE has not been about safety since the 90s.  Now, it's all about getting Federal aid to pay so they can move NJ tax dollars to more important things like, I dunno, safe spaces.

2 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Liberals.  I'm surprised every day isn't a "state of emergency" for them.  Everything "triggers" them.

Nobody ever got "triggered" back in the 80s & 90s.  I hate that frigging word.

yea that's the ting....the blizzards we had in 94 and 96 i don't recall hearing of a state of emergency....though i could be wrong. i do recall my boss telling me to park the towtruck and not to take any calls though

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 1LtCAP said:

the blizzards we had in 94 and 96 i don't recall hearing of a state of emergency.

The first snow related SOE I can recall was 96.  I'll never forget that one, I was stuck working a trade show in Pennsauken. 

Just went for a spin around the country block.  It's changed here in Mercer from snow to sleet.  Township roads are better than the county ones right now.  Trying to figure out why the township plowed only one side of the roads in the development before they left.

Just now, CMJeepster said:

Just went for a spin around the country block.  It's changed here in Mercer from snow to sleet.  Township roads are better than the county ones right now.  Trying to figure out why the township plowed only one side of the roads in the development before they left.

You get one side? Jealous...

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

SOE has not been about safety since the 90s.  Now, it's all about getting Federal aid to pay so they can move NJ tax dollars to more important things like, I dunno, safe spaces.

Here’s what a ‘state of emergency’ really means in N.J. as monster snowstorm hits - nj.com

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

Could have broken something on the plow. With storms like these that happens a lot.

I'm missing out on a ton of overtime this storm due to a bacterial sinus infection. Dr said I could go back on Tuesday and I bet I'll be working through till Wednesday doing clean up all around town. Feel bad for my coworkers who were called in at 5 PM Sunday and will be there for the duration.

We've got a foot + drifting as of noon today in lower Sussex County. I took the first pass on the apron and driveway and by the time I finished at least another inch had dropped.

But it was the right thing to do. One time I waited until the snow was done, so the total was higher than the auger mouth. Big problem.

Today wasn't that bad at all. Only got it back in face about five times with a real wind gust. Otherwise just a slight breeze. Slow and steady got it done.

6 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

We've got a foot + drifting as of noon today in lower Sussex County. I took the first pass on the apron and driveway and by the time I finished at least another inch had dropped.

But it was the right thing to do. One time I waited until the snow was done, so the total was higher than the auger mouth. Big problem.

Today wasn't that bad at all. Only got it back in face about five times with a real wind gust. Otherwise just a slight breeze. Slow and steady got it done.

Similar here in Morris county.  We have a little under a foot, some drifting, but in the hour I spent with the snowblower and shovel at lunchtime, we got another two inches.  It's picking up...

30 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

The weight of the truck definitely is its saving grace

I took the truck out a little while ago.  Just drove over the plowed-in apron like it was nothing.  Went to home depot on a snipe hunt, then to Auto Zone for new wiper blades, then to a large unplowed parking lot to test 4x4 and handling. 

The Silverado does not handle as gracefully as my 89 Toyota SR-5 4x4 used to, but it is more of a juggernaut.  I performed a couple 20 mph emergency brake checks in the unplowed lot, better than I thought it would handle, but it has a bias to go right when ABS engages. 

Rt36 spur and county roads are in pretty good shape, all others probably passable in an average fwd car.

1415 It's just sleet now.

45 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Man, if I were a kid I would be out there snow blowing & shoveling.  

Back in early 80s we had a nice storm & a snow day.  I was out all morning and early afternoon shoveling.  Made over $200!

Kids don't want to work today and make any money, mommy and daddy give them all they want.

You should get out there today and go for it... You'll have ZERO competition!!  :thankyou:

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Man, if I were a kid I would be out there snow blowing & shoveling.  

Back in early 80s we had a nice storm & a snow day.  I was out all morning and early afternoon shoveling.  Made over $200!

same...my buddy and i had steady people we did yard work for.  winter time was our money season.  easily would make over 150 each storm.  

sadly todays kids are not like us.  kids stay inside cause mommy and daddy will do it, or just hire someone else to do it.  example is my neighbor across the street.  Both of his college age boys, who are home now with remote learning, weren't outside helping him shovel.  my boys took our snow blower over to him when we we were done and did his walkway and lower driveway.  took them maybe 25 minutes and saved him hours of work.  as a thank you, he offered them each $20, but they turned it down saying it was expected for them help neighbors.  Proud dad moment for me.  

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Kids don't want to work today and make any money, mommy and daddy give them all they want.

You should get out there today and go for it... You'll have ZERO competition!!  :thankyou:

If I weren't working until 6pm I just may have!

There was one person on our town Facebook page that posted that their son would come over with a snowblower and shovel to dig people out.

I hear ya guys.  Seems very few kids today want to hustle or work.  Sad statement about large portion of today's kids.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, gleninjersey said:

If I weren't working until 6pm I just may have!

There was one person on our town Facebook page that posted that their son would come over with a snowblower and shovel to dig people out.

I hear ya guys.  Seems very few kids today want to hustle or work.  Sad statement about large portion of today's kids.

Hell, I do that for free in my ‘hood. 

At about 1PM 

image0.jpg

Got partway done then blew the belt on the snowblower - of course I don't have a replacement ugh.

Luckily the neighbor helped out.  Got enough clear for now.  As of 3PM we were fairly clear.  

Preview_NVR_02_20210201_145949_125104065

2 hours later - it looks like we're still getting a bit or some of it's blowing around.   Should be able to handle the rest of this with a shovel until I get a replacement belt.

In the 90's I had a Toyota 4x4 PU and a well used single stage snow blower I bought for $75.  Whenever there was at least 4" (people just didn't want to pay if it was less) I'd drive around and knock on doors.  My best night I made just under $900.00.  That was when we had a storm that dropped around 10" then it rained, then it froze, so there was a thick crust of ice most snow blowers could not eat through.  That whacky single stage spat flames from the muffler, sputtered, backfired and made all kinds of frightening noises, but it just munched up that crusty snow.  Clearing gravel driveways was especially fun, lots of sparks.  What could possibly go wrong.

Ah... good times.

• Haha 1

Just now, voyager9 said:

Are you anywhere near @Mrs. Peel?  She was looking for a shoveler and...well...tips and hot buns are involved. 

She did mention something hot and sweet for her ‘snow boy’. :mutley:

• Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1