Sniper

Got Eggs, Milk and Bread? It's Snowmaggedon!!

45 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i used to have a gas stove in the same place........i loved it........2 things made me change it....mom's afraid of gas..or so she says......and my little bit of paranoia about gas getting shut off to neighborhoods in times of emergency..

Do you have a gas furnace, gas water heater, gas dryer or gas stove? Is she afraid of them too?

Gas would probably never be turned off unless there's a local gas leak in the street they have to fix. It's a more stable supply then water or electric.

48 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Gas would probably never be turned off unless there's a local gas leak in the street they have to fix. It's a more stable supply then water or electric.

After Sandy, NG supply was off for three days here.

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

Do you have a gas furnace, gas water heater, gas dryer or gas stove? Is she afraid of them too?

before the wood stove, oil was my only source of hot water and heating the house. it still is my only source of hot water. i cook on a gas stove....but that was also part of the reason for a wood stove, as if need be i can cook on top of that. and yes, she often laments that we don't have an electric stove.

gas was off in some areas after sandy. and i think there was at least one other time in nj recently. i know it's not likely....

1 minute ago, 1LtCAP said:

before the wood stove, oil was my only source of hot water and heating the house. it still is my only source of hot water. i cook on a gas stove....but that was also part of the reason for a wood stove, as if need be i can cook on top of that. and yes, she often laments that we don't have an electric stove.

gas was off in some areas after sandy. and i think there was at least one other time in nj recently. i know it's not likely....

There is no need to justify a wood stove. What is or isn't likely to happen, one way or another you will always have heat. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

After Sandy, NG supply was off for three days here.

And power was out for at least 8 days, but we never lost gas.... so...

3 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

There is no need to justify a wood stove. What is or isn't likely to happen, one way or another you will always have heat.

Well, if you plan and prep accordingly, you should never be without heat.

• One source is none
  • Two sources is One
  • And Three is where you need to be

8 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

You were lucky.  It was 17 days before power was restored here.

Ahhh, so you see, my comment was accurate. You lost gas for 3 days but power for 17, so gas supply is more stable.

I was in Jackson at that time, we lost power for 8 days, then it came back on for a few days. Then that freak snow storm came through, taking out more trees, and we were out 4 more days.

I think back decades, in multiple power outages from storms, and I lived in multiple houses, and never lost gas supply once in any of them. The only other option is to bury a 500 gallon propane tank in the ground, so you'll have gas all the time.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Ahhh, so you see, my comment was accurate. You lost gas for 3 days but power for 17, so gas supply is more stable.

I was in Jackson at that time, we lost power for 8 days, then it came back on for a few days. Then that freak snow storm came through, taking out more trees, and we were out 4 more days.

I think back decades, in multiple power outages from storms, and I lived in multiple houses, and never lost gas supply once in any of them. The only other option is to bury a 500 gallon propane tank in the ground, so you'll have gas all the time.

Gas is great, but aside from a gas fireplace and stove top, you still need electricity to run your gas furnace and also power the blower or circulator. Which would require a generator. Gas does/is seem to be the most reliable, aside from having physical storage tanks, which many people do have where gas lines are not common. My thoughts are, as always, to expect to loose any utilities in these events.. and count your blessings if you don't. 

41 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Gas is great, but aside from a gas fireplace and stove top, you still need electricity to run your gas furnace and also power the blower or circulator. Which would require a generator.

And that is another area that my "Rule of Three" needs to be considered for power generation:

3 hours ago, Sniper said:
  • One source is none
  • Two sources is One
  • And Three is where you need to be

Do you have at least three power generation sources?

On 2/8/2021 at 8:30 AM, JackDaWack said:

Not really, my wood stove was my only source of heat after sandy. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

I'm so done with this weather...

Everyone needs to just look at what's going on in Texas, and plan ahead..

Redundancy, Redundancy, Redundancy for water, power, cooking and heat needs to always be considered!

39 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Redundancy, Redundancy, Redundancy for water, power, cooking and heat needs to always be considered!

I need to shovel out my shed where my fuel is stored.  It was too solid to get through the last time that I needed it.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

A standby generator is all that.  I used to also have a 4k portable but gave it to my FIL.   At some point it's just extra.  Even if the standby failed, the fireplace insert can be run off a 12v battery and an inverter.  That was my first level before I had any generators.

Of course, I'm moving to Florida where it's 32 in the morning on the coldest day of the year and 55 by noon.  Hardly life threatening.

29 minutes ago, Malsua said:

A standby generator is all that.  I used to also have a 4k portable but gave it to my FIL.   At some point it's just extra.  Even if the standby failed, the fireplace insert can be run off a 12v battery and an inverter.  That was my first level before I had any generators.

Of course, I'm moving to Florida where it's 32 in the morning on the coldest day of the year and 55 by noon.  Hardly life threatening.

The storms in Florida happen in the summer when it’s 80.  I have a tri fuel inverter I run on grill propane tanks to power the fridge, computer, and a small room window ac unit. 

1 hour ago, SW9racer said:

The storms in Florida happen in the summer when it’s 80.  I have a tri fuel inverter I run on grill propane tanks to power the fridge, computer, and a small room window ac unit. 

I'll probably end up with one of those Honda EU2000 units to run the fridge.  Power is all buried there, outages, even during hurricanes, only happen when the regional shuts down to protect equipment.    Even during the mess of 2004 with those 3 canes that went right over central Florida, The Villages was only out of power a short time.

2 hours ago, Malsua said:

A standby generator is great, but it can fail too. After all, it's a mechanical device too. That's why multiple ways to produce power and separate ways to produce heat should be considered. I like multiple layers, at least 3 in each main area.

For power, I have the main line, then two backup generators, then solar panels and a battery bank, then I can plug into my RV and run the generator, and last, run inverters off of the vehicles.

For heat, I have the natural gas furnace, then I have the gas fireplace which can run off of gas or propane, then I have 3 propane heaters, then electric heaters when the genny runs, then I can move into the RV.

For cooking, I have a nat. gas range, then the barbecue grill, then propane portable grill, then propane camp stove, then appliances in the RV.

For water, I have city water, then a well, then cases of bottled water, then a swimming pool, and a filter pump from a stream.

Then, if it really turns into Mad Max, I have plenty of lead/brass, so I can go get what ever I need...  :shok:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

wood stove. plenty of extra wood. plenty of food.....at least 3 months if we continue eating like a couiple 10 year olds. 1.5 months if we suddenly start eating normally.

portable genny, plenty of extra gas for that. i can actually run most of my house on that thing. yes. my house really is that little.

33 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

portable genny, plenty of extra gas for that. i can actually run most of my house on that thing. yes. my house really is that little.

That's a good thing.

One thing I did was to figure out what bare minimum electric I need and what necessity items need to run. Then built my backup plans to meet them. I found out I don't need to power up the complete house with a huge generator. I actually run more off the battery bank then the generator when power goes out. I only use the genny to top off the batteries and occasionally cycle the fridges.

On 2/8/2021 at 8:30 AM, JackDaWack said:

.....  sadly and with respect your talking out your rear......with statements like that....  lol  :)

30yrs in Vernon and the stoves  IS the go to

My woodstove and 5 plus cords..... will keep us alive....   

During Sandy....  my stove...cooked...warmed...and overall..kept at least a few families cozy ..that had..no heat etc...

We also had a gennie to pump water...etc.. but the stove  was constant

I am in Fl now...  my kiddo is in vernon....  power was out 10hrs...  the STOVE kept her warm, made food and provided till power came back....

If... she needed more..she could have spoooled up the generator....BUT the down and dirty stove was there...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

.....  sadly and with respect your talking out your rear......with statements like that....  lol  :)

30yrs in Vernon and the stoves  IS the go to

My woodstove and 5 plus cords..... will keep us alive....   

During Sandy....  my stove...cooked...warmed...and overall..kept at least a few families cozy ..that had..no heat etc...

We also had a gennie to pump water...etc.. but the stove  was constant

I am in Fl now...  my kiddo is in vernon....  power was out 10hrs...  the STOVE kept her warm, made food and provided till power came back....

If... she needed more..she could have spoooled up the generator....BUT the down and dirty stove was there...

I'm not sure I'm reading his statement the same way.   "No need to justify" strikes me as "It's a given that the wood burner is justified and you don't have to justify it"

Either way, since living here in Highland Lakes for the past 25 years, we've always had it.  In fact, before our 2012 addition it was our primary source of heat.   Light bulbs and an electric heater in the bedroom was the only other option.   6+ coords annually before, now about 3.

Now we just use it to make the house hot and keep the propane bill down.

Soon moving to FL though full time.  No more wood.

• Like 1