Pizza Bob

Are the NJSP trying to Limit Us Further / Handgun Purchases

Granted, the situation I'm about to describe is not the norm for most handgun purchasers, but it could be.

Last time I applied for some purchase permits I noted that on the on-line FARS application it asked if you wanted to apply for a Multiple Purchase Exemption (MPE). I was really happy to see this, in the hope that it would speed up the process of receiving a MPE approval. My most recent (hardcopy application) took almost three months. I am in need for another MPE for six guns. I am two permits short also, so I decided to apply today for some more permits and a new MPE.

Started the FARS process  and got to the MPE question - to which I answered "yes". Initially there are only enough fields to enter two guns, but a button to click to add more fields. Make my first two entries, click the button and it opens one more set of fields. Enter the third gun and click again. Another set of fields appears and I enter the fourth gun. I click again and it tells me that I can only make four entries. The old hard copy applications had many, many lines to enter your multiple purchases. What gives? Seems like a little backdoor gun control.

Are they trying to further limit what we can buy? I am a collector with the need to purchase collectible guns when I find them. Sometimes there can be months between finds, sometimes, like now, it is an embarrassment of riches.

I know, definitely a "First World Problem" and probably something that most will never have to concern themselves with - but it does concern me, and probably should you too.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I would say you should apply Hanlon's Razor; "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Government projects, especially computer projects are notoriously poorly specified and often the execution is worse.

Whether the NJ government hoplophobes see it as a happy coincidence is another matter, of course.

In either case, malice or stupidity, it isn't good.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

4 IS an arsenal, after all...

That said, I gotta say, I'm sure it is just incompetence.  Be surprised they gave you that many.  In this state, I'd have expected 2 slots maximum.  Be it from incompetence or as a fuck you to Pizza Bob gun owners.

For sure the "4" is an arbitrary limit.  Systems that are well designed will either allow 1 or many.  Programming-wise once you allow many, the actual limit is virtually infinite (constrained by storage/memory of course) unless someone enforces an arbitrary limit.

47 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Just another impediment to us legally acquiring more firearms (What a surprise!)

Like the issue I brought up of how do you execute E-permits for immediate family and LEO to LEO handgun transfers?

This state sucks balls. Big time.

I am  just curious as it is a moot issue for me being in FL now and didn't apply for e- permits during my last duration in NJ. What is the obstruction that prevents family to family transfers?

13 minutes ago, siderman said:

I am  just curious as it is a moot issue for me being in FL now and didn't apply for e- permits during my last duration in NJ. What is the obstruction that prevents family to family transfers?

Without a paper permit to fill in the exemption for transfers between family members (and between LEO for that matter) cannot be done the old way.

However, I believe that there is an option on the NJSP web site to execute a family member transfer.

Although I consider it a banner year if I get two per year, I will be very interested in the response, if any, you get Bob. There had to be some discussion along the line comparing the previous process while developing what is now. On the other hand, I can see some gunless software developer not having a clue as to what collectors such as yourself may require.