leo-польд

Braced Other, what will happen?

5 hours ago, Bully said:

Start looking for a stock, barrel and handguard.  

Switch out everything that makes it "questionable" and throw it all in the back of the safe.  

If you keep anything questionable do not put it with your firearms. If you ever get red flagged, Temporary Restraining Order filed against you, or there is a house fire and your CO is pulled they will be going in that safe and taking inventory. 

They're focusing on AR pistols meant to be fired with one hand, however since they're not listing their criteria in advance and purposely being vague I don't think we'll know the legality of an other until the smoke clears. 

14 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

If you keep anything questionable do not put it with your firearms. If you ever get red flagged, Temporary Restraining Order filed against you, or there is a house fire and your CO is pulled they will be going in that safe and taking inventory. 

They're focusing on AR pistols meant to be fired with one hand, however since they're not listing their criteria in advance and purposely being vague I don't think we'll know the legality of an other until the smoke clears. 

I beleive there are some legal hurdles for them to clear with the NFA, and how it is written. 

In reality, all of the weapons in question can simply have the braces removed and they would be legal under the current ATF argument. A pistol would still be a pistol, and an other still an other. Neither requires a brace for classification. 

16 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I beleive there are some legal hurdles for them to clear with the NFA, and how it is written. 

In reality, all of the weapons in question can simply have the braces removed and they would be legal under the current ATF argument. A pistol would still be a pistol, and an other still an other. Neither requires a brace for classification. 

Absolutely. With a 5.56 other all you need is a pistol buffer tube with the option of a cheek rest. I'm not sure how others with more recoil will operate, but there are always design options to minimize recoil. 

2 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

actually IMO they are going after the complete opposite.. 

guns that can legitimately be fired with one hand appear to be NOT what they are looking at going after.. when I read the wording they spoke about things like 

* rifle caliber
* front grips
* optics that would be impractical to use one handed

the focus to simply put it.. appears to be guns that were designed with use of a brace to circumvent SBR rules.. in other words.. a gun that is essentially a SBR with the exception of a brace substituting the use of a stock.. 

On 12/22/2020 at 8:41 AM, Krdshrk said:

Looks like enough people complained and the ATF had backed off the issue for now. Take that with a grain of salt.

8 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Looks like enough people complained and the ATF had backed off the issue for now. Take that with a grain of salt.

Cocaine Mitch called the ATF. It had nothing to do with the comments. If the corpse from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade gets in, it'll start up again.