Bully

Precision AR Grip Suggestions

I'm planning a precision rifle, kinda Gucci, but gonna get used.  It will be shot prone/benched and will not be a "battle rifle".  I wanna shoot itty-bitty groups from as far as I can.  

I'm lost, on of all things, the grip.  Not sure where I should go with it.  Should I do a grip with a palm shelf?  Should I do a Penguin grip as it mimics what I like in my precision bolt guns?  Go with a normal kinda Magpul?  So I'm asking the hive for suggestions.

18" barrel 223 with a Magpul PRS and some better glass is the basic configuration.  I will be running it off of a bi-pod.  

Thanks.

When I was putting my SPR together on paper, I felt like everything I had read was steering me towards an expensive adjustable palm shelf type grip.  It's what the "experts" use, after all.  Well, I'm not an expert and wasn't about to drop a lot of money on a funny looking grip.   So, I split the difference.

The grip I eventually bought was a stippled finger contoured type with a slight thumb shelf, and a tiny bit over sized, but not by much.  It wasn't exactly a scientific method, but the grip I chose has pro like features without the price tag , it just looked like it was a good fit.  Luckily for me, instinct paid off.  I believe the grip is made by Ergo.

Consider the type of grip you are already used to may, or may not translate well to a substantially different platform.  The only thing I can suggest is to look at reasonably priced grips, maybe one with a ratcheting adjustable angle, experiment, dial it in, and once you have a better idea of what you like, what's comfortable and producing results, then spend some money on a competition grade grip.

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I think I have a LaRue APEG sitting in the parts bin. I’ll send it to you. It’s a nice melding of a precision type AR grip and something like a Magpul MIAD or BCM Gunfighter.

If nothing else, it will get you started.

Let me know if you want anything for it. 

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

I already owe you one. ;)

Let me see if I can find it and I’ll get it in the mail this weekend.

lPnmU84.jpg
Cgim8xK.jpg
SxBzYUz.jpg

It a nice geometry to it and is well stippled to prevent slipping.

Thanks bud. 
We’re square. 

On 12/17/2020 at 7:44 AM, Bully said:

I'm planning a precision rifle, kinda Gucci, but gonna get used.  It will be shot prone/benched and will not be a "battle rifle".  I wanna shoot itty-bitty groups from as far as I can.  

I'm lost, on of all things, the grip.  Not sure where I should go with it.  Should I do a grip with a palm shelf?  Should I do a Penguin grip as it mimics what I like in my precision bolt guns?  Go with a normal kinda Magpul?  So I'm asking the hive for suggestions.

18" barrel 223 with a Magpul PRS and some better glass is the basic configuration.  I will be running it off of a bi-pod.  

Thanks.

are you stuck on 223?  Ergo precision grip is nice as is one other that name escapes me but has a thumb lip

On 12/17/2020 at 1:40 PM, Bully said:

Thanks bud. 
We’re square. 

if he can't find it, I have a spare I can send you as it just sits in my box

1 hour ago, RUTGERS95 said:

are you stuck on 223?  

I’m not stuck on anything. However, I’m building in 223 as it suits my needs well. 
Inexpensive to load and accurate with minimal recoil out to 600+. It happens to be high on the list of favorite calibers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bully said:

I’m not stuck on anything. However, I’m building in 223 as it suits my needs well. 
Inexpensive to load and accurate with minimal recoil out to 600+. It happens to be high on the list of favorite calibers. 

I only ask because precision and long range with smaller pills usually leaves one frustrated.  You'll hear people say 600yds all day but those days are dry and optimal conditions.  Heavier and better BC is where you want to go for longer and precision.  I am more in the minority on this board with this view so take it for what it's worth but since you said you said load (assuming you reload), the world is your oyster.  I'd look at 6mm ARC or Grendel way before 223 here.

7 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I only ask because precision and long range with smaller pills usually leaves one frustrated.  You'll hear people say 600yds all day but those days are dry and optimal conditions.  Heavier and better BC is where you want to go for longer and precision.  I am more in the minority on this board with this view so take it for what it's worth but since you said you said load (assuming you reload), the world is your oyster.  I'd look at 6mm ARC or Grendel way before 223 here.

We've had this discussion.  I don't expect you to remember.  

I've shot competitively with a .223 out to 600.  It's not a problem.  There are a lot of ways to skin a cat, I do it with handloaded ammo and the longest bullets my rifle will shoot well.  My match rifles typically never see factory ammo.  This one will, only because I want to see if I can get .75 or better with factory ammo (69gn FGMM).  After I run that little "test" it's gonna be handloads all day.  

9 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I've been liking the FAB Gradus.  2 different angles on it - one for close CQB type shooting, another for long range, and it has a bit of a thumb shelf.

2479-gradus-2d.jpg

That looks pretty neat.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Bully said:

I want to see if I can get .75 or better with factory ammo (69gn FGMM).

If you can get it, try PPUs .223 OTM.  Maybe it's a one-off that my SPR (223W 18" 1:8) and that factory ammo get along really well, but I'm shooting .35 MOA with their 75gr OTM. 

4 hours ago, Bully said:

We've had this discussion.  I don't expect you to remember.  

I've shot competitively with a .223 out to 600.  It's not a problem.  There are a lot of ways to skin a cat, I do it with handloaded ammo and the longest bullets my rifle will shoot well.  My match rifles typically never see factory ammo.  This one will, only because I want to see if I can get .75 or better with factory ammo (69gn FGMM).  After I run that little "test" it's gonna be handloads all day.  

thumbs up!

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you can get it, try PPUs .223 OTM.  Maybe it's a one-off that my SPR (223W 18" 1:8) and that factory ammo get along really well, but I'm shooting .35 MOA with their 75gr OTM. 

I would try it if I could find it.