Blackjack280

Will my juvenile record be a deal breaker?

I’m brand new here and I’m looking for some knowledgeable guidance. I just submitted for my FID, got fingerprinted, turned in my references (one of which is a police officer). Here’s the thing...when I was a juvenile I got myself into a bit of trouble. I am 27 now. At 16 I was adjudged a delinquent for a disorderly persons charge, then again at 17 I was adjudged a delinquent for a 1st degree robbery and 2nd degree conspiracy to commit robbery. Long story short, a 24 year old took an iPod and 400$ from me and I forcefully attempted to get it back. He called the cops and I paid big time for my mistake. I was sentenced to 3 years in Jamesburg, served about half of that, released on a recall, then successfully completed the remainder on probation. I paid a lawyer 1,500$ for an expungement and he did absolutely nothing. Took my money and stopped answering phone calls. I still have the record.  Here I am, nearly 10 years later, no convictions as an adult; law abiding, responsible citizen and I fear my juvenile mistakes are about to come back to bite me in the ass. My questions are 

1) has anyone had luck with trying to speak to the chief in your respective jurisdiction to help pass your permit and prove you’re responsible enough to own a firearm.

2) are there any outstanding lawyers who are well versed with this in nj and what are estimated costs for something of this nature? I’ve read some good things about (Evan nappan)? 

3) if they do deny me for these mistakes, does that permanently ban me from having a firearm in the entire country? 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Did you answer yes to question 1) Have you ever been convicted of a crime that has not been expunged or sealed?

Yes I did. It specifically asks “have you ever been adjudged a delinquent”. I had no option. I answered “no” to the convicted of a felony and domestic violence etc. 

• Like 1

Okay,  that's good!  You never want to lie!  The local PD will get a yes or no from the state. The Chief can't change a no.  To be honest, they will most likely come back with a no so be prepared to fight!  Wait to hear back though before you hire a lawyer.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Okay,  that's good!  You never want to lie!  The local PD will get a yes or no from the state. The Chief can't change a no.  To be honest, they will most likely come back with a no so be prepared to fight!  Wait to hear back though before you hire a lawyer.

Thank you! I didn’t know if I screwed up by submitting the application before the expungement or if I should just do it. I chose to just go for it. I know all this looks really bad on paper, but it’s not an accurate depiction of me as a person.  Now do you know if/when the state denies my application, does that prohibit me from owning a firearm throughout the country? Or is it just the state of New Jersey? I know these are questions for lawyers but I’d rather get free opinions before paying for an attorney. I really appreciate it! 

The yes or no comes from the  National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) it's a background check system in the United States. If they tell NJ no, they will tell any state no.  I don't think filling out the form and getting a no in itself will make things worse for you. You have to get your record expunged to move forward.  Wait and see, you could get lucky.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Blackjack280 said:

Thank you! I didn’t know if I screwed up by submitting the application before the expungement or if I should just do it. I chose to just go for it.  

Now do you know if/when the state denies my application, does that prohibit me from owning a firearm throughout the country? Or is it just the state of New Jersey?

Yeah, you screwed up a little bit.  Now you may end up with FID denial on your record as well if not corrected, plus the time lost. Calling the chief of police to plead your case isn't going accomplish anything and might make you appear slightly nutty. 

So frustrating when people come here for advice after they submitted a questionable FID application.

Anyway, if denied be prepared to hire an honest lawyer to handle the expungement request, in fact I would go forward with that the regardless of how the FID application plays out. You need to get that off your record ASAP.  Afterward, if successful you'll have to reapply for the FID.

I highly recommend Frank Pisano. http://frankpisanolaw.com Don't know what the going rate is these days, probably around $1200-1500. 

3 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Yeah, you screwed up a little bit.  Now you may end up with FID denial on your record as well if not corrected, plus the time wasted. 

So frustrating when people come here for advice after they submitted a questionable FID application.

Anyway, if it gets denied be prepared hire an honest lawyer to handle the expungement request. I would go forward with that the regardless of the FID application. Afterward, if successful you'll have to reapply for the FID.

I highly recommend Frank Pisano. http://frankpisanolaw.com

I appreciate the recommendation! I paid that other lawyer to take care of the expungement and he screwed me out of over a grand so I just figured what the hell, if they deny it and absolutely say no then what’s the difference? I lose 100$ And have to a hire a lawyer anyway. Would the denial for the the FID be worse in some other way than not ever having one? For instance; does being rejected for an FID prohibit me from even being able to touch/use a firearm as it does with a felon? Technically I am not a felon. I’ve never been indicted. Adjudged a delinquent is the terminology used on the background Check I did for myself. 

19 minutes ago, Blackjack280 said:

Would the denial for the the FID be worse in some other way than not ever having one? For instance; does being rejected for an FID prohibit me from even being able to touch/use a firearm as it does with a felon? Technically I am not a felon. I’ve never been indicted. Adjudged a delinquent is the terminology used on the background Check I did for myself. 

A denied FID application is another black mark on your record that you don't want to let stand. Nowhere near the same as a convicted felon however.

As mentioned, you really should call Frank Pisano, get this all cleaned up now and go ahead with the expungement if necessary, it will be money well spent.

I'm not sure how it works with juvenile offenses but these days with the internet its very easy to run background checks on people. You don't know how this may affect you negatively in the future.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bomber said:

A denied FID application is another black mark on your record that you don't want to let stand. Nowhere near the same as a convicted felon however.

You really should call Frank Pisano and get this all straighten out now.

I'm not sure how it works with juvenile offenses but these days with the internet its very easy to run background checks on people. You don't know how this may affect you negatively in the future.

Yea I think that Monday I will call some lawyers up and see their take on it as well. Hopefully they deal in all of Jersey because I’m up in Sussex county.  I shouldn’t have to fight for my rights like this as an American but I digress...I appreciate the insight more than you know. Bad decisions can follow you the rest of your life, that’s for sure! 

35 minutes ago, Blackjack280 said:

Yea I think that Monday I will call some lawyers up and see their take on it as well. Hopefully they deal in all of Jersey because I’m up in Sussex county.   Bad decisions can follow you the rest of your life, that’s for sure! 

Frank Pisano is in Montville. I don't think you'll need to make any other calls.

He was excellent when I used him for an expungement after a FID denial, (not strong armed robbery mind you) just penny ante stuff that I thought had been dismissed when I was 18 but enough to get rejected.  

As @Bomber states, get the record expunged ASAP. I have not dealt with Pisano or any lawyer but many have and he comes recommended. Montville is close enough to sussex county if you dont find someone closer. 

You will most likely be denied, and will have to appeal the decision at this point since you didn't get this expunged before hand. You could probably appeal on your own behalf, but it would be wise to also have that lawyer handle your appeal. You may not win an appeal either unless you have the record expunged. And you have a short time period to appeal the denial.

Get the expungement. I have made my mistakes when I was younger which left me in limbo on my gun rights in this state. You need to get that expungement man. I know when I did my expungement, my lawyer did jack shit for me, it’s probably better to petition the courts yourself. Since I got my expungement in December 2019, I have been buying guns left and right every month to make up for the loss time.

• Like 3

As advised, start the expungement now.  Don't wait for the denial.  I would recommend having the record expunged even if you are granted the FID or if you weren't even interested in buying guns.  There are a hundred other reasons to clear your record.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Bomber said:

Are you guys having Biden moment?

The OP bailed out of this thread in December and hasn't been seen or heard from since.

Even if the OP has bailed out, the topic always shows up every now and again by someone new. It’s always good to cover the topic so when that person who google the subject this pops up.

• Agree 1

So here’s an update. Finally got the denial this morning. Officer says that he had to deny me because of the robbery charge as a juvenile and even if he passed me I would be denied by nics anyway. Called a few lawyers waiting on responses back. I’ll do everything in my power to keep my rights. Hopefully it works out. Any other good lawyer references are welcome. Thank you everyone! 

2 minutes ago, Blackjack280 said:

So here’s an update. Finally got the denial this morning. Officer says that he had to deny me because of the robbery charge as a juvenile and even if he passed me I would be denied by nics anyway. Called a few lawyers waiting on responses back. I’ll do everything in my power to keep my rights. Hopefully it works out. Any other good lawyer references are welcome. Thank you everyone! 

Best of luck, get that expungement and talk to the lawyers. It’s gonna be an uphill battle now.

Yea you should've contacted a lawyer, they would've told you to withdraw your application...get an expungment and then reapply. Keep in mind everytime you apply now. you will have to answer "YES" on question 27 w/ "I was denied by {name of police dept} in {year} but have subsequently had my record expunged" good luck! 

5 hours ago, Blackjack280 said:

Called a few lawyers waiting on responses back.

Any other good lawyer references are welcome. Thank you everyone! 

Why did you wait for the denial to call an attorney?

Anyway,. I would call Frank Pisano in Montville as suggested above.

You've got 30 days to contest the denial.