SMOKIE901

FLORIDA Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permit, CCW

I did the process online. I went to gun's for hire for the required training, which is mandatory, and they filled all the paperwork for me. I sent it by mail and 90 days later got my permit. Easy Peasy!

Beats going somewhere in person to get it done in my book.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

I did the process online. I went to gun's for hire for the required training, which is mandatory, and they filled all the paperwork for me. I sent it by mail and 90 days later got my permit. Easy Peasy!

Thanks for the info. Mailed mine a month ago certified mail, and pending in there system. 

When I was at my gun club a few weeks ago a guy came in showing me his finger print card was rejected, could not read they said. Had to send new prints. That sucks, another 3 month wait. 

34 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Oh no. you missed a great opportunity to get down to Florida for a day or two and meet some very nice people. You'd be shocked how different gun owners are treated in Florida VS NJ.  I try to take advantage of EVERY reason to get down to Florida or just out of NJ for that fact. LOL  

On 3/10/2021 at 9:45 AM, EX Carnival man said:

Oh no. you missed a great opportunity to get down to Florida for a day or two and meet some very nice people. You'd be shocked how different gun owners are treated in Florida VS NJ.  I try to take advantage of EVERY reason to get down to Florida or just out of NJ for that fact. LOL  

I hear ya. I just spent a couple of weeks in Costa Rica, couldn't take the winter here anymore...

• Agree 1

I have my appointment but had to go to the local Dept. Of Agriculture office in North Port. None of the tax assessors offices in the area are accepting non resident applications. I had to take appointments on the day I'm leaving because everything else was booked and I'm not going for a few months.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, brucin said:

I have my appointment but had to go to the local Dept. Of Agriculture office in North Port. None of the tax assessors offices in the area are accepting non resident applications. I had to take appointments on the day I'm leaving because everything else was booked and I'm not going for a few months.

North Port is about 50 mi north of where I'm at in Cape Coral. Its a quiet area. Not like Miami. Your going to find it so different going there than your local police dept in NJ.  if you have time stop in some local gun stores.  Even with low stock you'll still be surprised.  If your staying south of North Port checkout  Shoot Center in Cape Coral. Its worth the trip,  https://www.shootcenter.com/

11 minutes ago, EX Carnival man said:

North Port is about 50 mi north of where I'm at in Cape Coral. Its a quiet area. Not like Miami. Your going to find it so different going there than your local police dept in NJ.  if you have time stop in some local gun stores.  Even with low stock you'll still be surprised.  If your staying south of North Port checkout  Shoot Center in Cape Coral. Its worth the trip,  https://www.shootcenter.com/

I'm going to be staying in Cape Coral so I'll have to check out that shop. My brother in law also mentioned going to the Cecil M Webb shooting range. Are you familiar with it.

34 minutes ago, brucin said:

I'm going to be staying in Cape Coral so I'll have to check out that shop. My brother in law also mentioned going to the Cecil M Webb shooting range. Are you familiar with it.

I've  never been to that range. I've Only been down there for two winters. Cape Coral is divided up in 4 zones. I'm up in the NW Cape. We bought the lot back in 2010.  Last I looked there were 167,000 people living in the Cape but you would never know it because of how large the city is. Where I'm at up in the NW there are so many empty waterfront lots just waiting to be sold and built on.  I wish I was going down there too. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:03 PM, SJG said:

There is no such thing as a Florida Non-Resident CCP. Fl only issues one type permit and no longer distinguishes on the permit between resident or non resident. The application for the permit simply asks for your address and it does not matter if you are in or outside the State of Florida. As a shall issue state, if your prints confirm no criminal convictions and you take the Fl CWC course, or have alternative qualification credentials you are good to go. The Fl course is offered at many ranges in N.J. The Fl CCP only authorizes you to carry in Fl and in States which grant reciprocity(N.J. not being one of them), it does not authorize you to use the firearm and your right to use it is governed by the criminal laws in Florida and if you are in a reciprocity State, the criminal laws in that State. All of the details are posted on the internet under Fl Dept of Agriculture.

Many of the states that recognize the Florida permit while traveling for RESIDENTS, they never allowed for non-resident carry. Does anyone know if that changed as well? If so, it's worth getting, if not it only pays to have one if you spend a lot of time in Florida. I'm considering one now with travel bans being lifted.

2 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

Many of the states that recognize the Florida permit while traveling for RESIDENTS, they never allowed for non-resident carry. Does anyone know if that changed as well? If so, it's worth getting, if not it only pays to have one if you spend a lot of time in Florida. I'm considering one now with travel bans being lifted.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

2 hours ago, siderman said:

According to the link. For non-Resident permits:

Permit(s) Honored In:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

Permit(s) Not Honored In:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Washington, Wisconsin, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

For Resident permits:

Permit(s) Honored In:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

Permit(s) Not Honored In:
California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Virgin Islands, Washington, Wisconsin, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

I put the additional states that don't honor the out of state permit in bold.  Not sure how accurate the list is, so it makes sense to do your own research prior to carrying anywhere...

17 minutes ago, bennj said:

Scratch Nevada, they no longer honor Florida. I plan to apply by mail and need to get my prints done at my PD. I received a fingerprint card from Florida a few days ago. Open to any advice going forward, and wish me luck.

My PD said they didn't do fingerprints, I got them done at gun for hire, think it was $25

1 hour ago, bennj said:

Thanks for the info, having a little trouble getting to the person that takes care of this stuff at my PD. Might just be out on vacation or something.

Yea, that must be it....

On 2/24/2021 at 9:23 PM, EX Carnival man said:

I find the best way to apply and renew is to make an appointment at a Licensing center. They can do everything there while you wait. Fingerprints, and application.  I have a bad scar and they usually have to do my electronic prints twice.  The machine tells them right than and there if its a good print or not.  Before I got a winter home in Florida I took the class here and than made the appointment at the Licensing center. I got my License in the mail 3 weeks later. When I renewed I went back to the Licensing center and the women told me to become a Florida resident and she would than be able to give me my renewal right there on the spot.  I've never waited more than 3 weeks for my renewal to come in the mail.  I have 5 years left on my current CWFL. My next renewal I will be a Florida resident.  As others have said just be careful.  Your Florida CWFL isn't valid in some states if your not a Florida resident. https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License/Concealed-Weapon-License-Reciprocity

Your experience was better than mine.  My wife and and went together to the Palm Beach Office. Her prints were messed up by a woman who didn't seem to enjoy her job. The machine didn't indicate her prints were not good.   Mine were OK.  She had to get our local NJ Sheriff's office to do a card after the rejection. It was a PITA.  Florida accepted the NRA Basic Pistol Safety Course. 

Cindy and I both applied at the North Port office on 6/4. Hers was issued on 7/19 mine still says processing. We submitted the same training documentation. I will say that all the employees at the North Port office were very friendly and professional.

There is a felon that has the same name as me, not a common name either so maybe the NICS deep dive is causing the delay. Cindy's NICS in NY come back in a matter of minutes mine takes over an hour. The felon is from Buffalo.

I'm hoping they didn't lose any of my documents.

2 hours ago, samiam said:

@Mikep, @bennj: Did you get a letter, or do the on-line status check to see if there was a problem identified? As I mentioned, you can also call to check status. The Florida Dept Ag employees I spoke to were uniformly super polite and helpful. None of the "WTF do you want?" attitude typical when you contacting a NJ "public servant". However, if you want to do that, you best be pressing the "dial" button at 8:00 AM sharp, as the queue gets long very quickly...

I've done the online check,  it states in progress. it's only been a couple of weeks. Just want to ensure all paperwork is good.

Did the online check, got the "in progress" too. Says they'll contact you by phone or mail if there's a problem. I don't plan on contacting them for awhile since they state it could take 90 days or more to complete, just hoping there's no issue with the prints since I'm sure everything else is good.  Good luck everybody.