SMOKIE901

FLORIDA Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permit, CCW

I did the process online. I went to gun's for hire for the required training, which is mandatory, and they filled all the paperwork for me. I sent it by mail and 90 days later got my permit. Easy Peasy!

Beats going somewhere in person to get it done in my book.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

I did the process online. I went to gun's for hire for the required training, which is mandatory, and they filled all the paperwork for me. I sent it by mail and 90 days later got my permit. Easy Peasy!

Thanks for the info. Mailed mine a month ago certified mail, and pending in there system. 

When I was at my gun club a few weeks ago a guy came in showing me his finger print card was rejected, could not read they said. Had to send new prints. That sucks, another 3 month wait. 

34 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Oh no. you missed a great opportunity to get down to Florida for a day or two and meet some very nice people. You'd be shocked how different gun owners are treated in Florida VS NJ.  I try to take advantage of EVERY reason to get down to Florida or just out of NJ for that fact. LOL  

On 3/10/2021 at 9:45 AM, EX Carnival man said:

Oh no. you missed a great opportunity to get down to Florida for a day or two and meet some very nice people. You'd be shocked how different gun owners are treated in Florida VS NJ.  I try to take advantage of EVERY reason to get down to Florida or just out of NJ for that fact. LOL  

I hear ya. I just spent a couple of weeks in Costa Rica, couldn't take the winter here anymore...

• Agree 1

I have my appointment but had to go to the local Dept. Of Agriculture office in North Port. None of the tax assessors offices in the area are accepting non resident applications. I had to take appointments on the day I'm leaving because everything else was booked and I'm not going for a few months.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, brucin said:

I have my appointment but had to go to the local Dept. Of Agriculture office in North Port. None of the tax assessors offices in the area are accepting non resident applications. I had to take appointments on the day I'm leaving because everything else was booked and I'm not going for a few months.

North Port is about 50 mi north of where I'm at in Cape Coral. Its a quiet area. Not like Miami. Your going to find it so different going there than your local police dept in NJ.  if you have time stop in some local gun stores.  Even with low stock you'll still be surprised.  If your staying south of North Port checkout  Shoot Center in Cape Coral. Its worth the trip,  https://www.shootcenter.com/

11 minutes ago, EX Carnival man said:

North Port is about 50 mi north of where I'm at in Cape Coral. Its a quiet area. Not like Miami. Your going to find it so different going there than your local police dept in NJ.  if you have time stop in some local gun stores.  Even with low stock you'll still be surprised.  If your staying south of North Port checkout  Shoot Center in Cape Coral. Its worth the trip,  https://www.shootcenter.com/

I'm going to be staying in Cape Coral so I'll have to check out that shop. My brother in law also mentioned going to the Cecil M Webb shooting range. Are you familiar with it.

34 minutes ago, brucin said:

I'm going to be staying in Cape Coral so I'll have to check out that shop. My brother in law also mentioned going to the Cecil M Webb shooting range. Are you familiar with it.

I've  never been to that range. I've Only been down there for two winters. Cape Coral is divided up in 4 zones. I'm up in the NW Cape. We bought the lot back in 2010.  Last I looked there were 167,000 people living in the Cape but you would never know it because of how large the city is. Where I'm at up in the NW there are so many empty waterfront lots just waiting to be sold and built on.  I wish I was going down there too. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:03 PM, SJG said:

There is no such thing as a Florida Non-Resident CCP. Fl only issues one type permit and no longer distinguishes on the permit between resident or non resident. The application for the permit simply asks for your address and it does not matter if you are in or outside the State of Florida. As a shall issue state, if your prints confirm no criminal convictions and you take the Fl CWC course, or have alternative qualification credentials you are good to go. The Fl course is offered at many ranges in N.J. The Fl CCP only authorizes you to carry in Fl and in States which grant reciprocity(N.J. not being one of them), it does not authorize you to use the firearm and your right to use it is governed by the criminal laws in Florida and if you are in a reciprocity State, the criminal laws in that State. All of the details are posted on the internet under Fl Dept of Agriculture.

Many of the states that recognize the Florida permit while traveling for RESIDENTS, they never allowed for non-resident carry. Does anyone know if that changed as well? If so, it's worth getting, if not it only pays to have one if you spend a lot of time in Florida. I'm considering one now with travel bans being lifted.

2 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

Many of the states that recognize the Florida permit while traveling for RESIDENTS, they never allowed for non-resident carry. Does anyone know if that changed as well? If so, it's worth getting, if not it only pays to have one if you spend a lot of time in Florida. I'm considering one now with travel bans being lifted.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

2 hours ago, siderman said:

According to the link. For non-Resident permits:

Permit(s) Honored In:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

Permit(s) Not Honored In:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Washington, Wisconsin, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

For Resident permits:

Permit(s) Honored In:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

Permit(s) Not Honored In:
California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Virgin Islands, Washington, Wisconsin, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

I put the additional states that don't honor the out of state permit in bold.  Not sure how accurate the list is, so it makes sense to do your own research prior to carrying anywhere...

Scratch Nevada, they no longer honor Florida. I plan to apply by mail and need to get my prints done at my PD. I received a fingerprint card from Florida a few days ago. Open to any advice going forward, and wish me luck.

17 minutes ago, bennj said:

Scratch Nevada, they no longer honor Florida. I plan to apply by mail and need to get my prints done at my PD. I received a fingerprint card from Florida a few days ago. Open to any advice going forward, and wish me luck.

My PD said they didn't do fingerprints, I got them done at gun for hire, think it was $25

1 hour ago, bennj said:

Thanks for the info, having a little trouble getting to the person that takes care of this stuff at my PD. Might just be out on vacation or something.

Yea, that must be it....

An update on delays and a couple of notes on the Florida Concealed Weapons License application by mail process. I was just on the phone with a Florida Dept Agriculture and Consumer Services (responsible for weapons permitting) rep and was told that the current processing time is 90 - 120 days from receiving a completed application (yikes). I applied in February, but there was an issue with my initial fingerprint card and had to submit another. I was told that my application was considered complete as of May 24, so my clock started running then (fortunately, I don't have any Florida trips currently planned). Here are my other observations on the process:

Be very careful with the application, and particularly the fingerprint card. I had NJSP fingerprint me for my previous CHP applications to Virginia and Utah. That was five years ago when they were doing those in-house (at least at Port Norris barracks). Now they farm everything out to locations run by a Morpho subsidiary, IdenToGo. In February, I drove to the Woodbury office, a 2-hour round trip, because COVID restrictions were limiting processing at closer locations. I was planning to renew my Utah and Virginia permits, as well as apply for additional permits for Florida and New Hampshire, so I paid for 3 extra copies. Now, Florida requires that the fingerprinting be done under the auspices of a law enforcement agency. They rejected my fingerprint card because it lacked an LEA stamp. I didn't realize at the time that my IdenToGo location was operating under the authority of Hamilton Township Police Dept, but had only stamped the first card, not the copies. Of course, I sent one of the unstamped copies with my Florida application :( I wasn't aware of the stamping issue when the card was rejected, I just thought that Florida didn't recognize IdenToGo as a legitimate authority, so I thrashed around to find a nearby LEA that would fingerprint me, with little luck. Most of the many I contacted either also farm out to IdenToGo, or only offer fingerprinting services to full-time residents. I finally hooked up with an officer at the Atlantic County Sheriff Dept, Jim Pruitt, who agreed to fingerprint me even though I am a Cape May County resident. If you are in South Jersey and need this service, I strongly recommend contacting Officer Pruitt.

Another item to be aware of is that the on-line status check for a Florida application at https://licensing.freshfromflorida.com/CWStatusCheck/CWStatusChk.aspx

will be updated to reflect any initial issue preventing completion of the process (i.e., unacceptable fingerprint card) but will NOT be updated to reflect further status changes until the application is ultimately either granted or rejected. So, after you attempt to remedy any issues, you will need to phone FDACS at 850-245-5691 to get an update. Plan to do that as soon as they start taking calls at 8 AM M-F. or you will be on hold for a very long time (20 minutes for me this morning beginning at 8:04 AM). The good news is that once you do get to talk to a representative, they are very courteous and helpful. Not the the typical rude "WTF do you want disturbing me?" attitude typical of NJ bureaucrats.

In terms of speed and friendliness of the process (NTM compliance with the spirit of 2A) for the 4 permits I hold or have applied for, my ratings are NH, UT, FL, & VA in that order. NH was amazing: a single page simple form asking for three references (which they never checked) and some identification information. Sent it with a check, and had my card within 2 weeks! Utah was pretty good on renewal, they wanted minimal updated information. Virginia, OTOH (where I own some vacation property) made me submit a new fingerprint card (seriously - in case my prints changed in 5 years and I was convicted of a crime subsequent to my disfigurement???) with my renewal app, and then took 4 months to process (after threatening an even greater delay). As it turns out, they issued my new card 2 days before the expiration of the original. I'm assuming they issued it that quickly only because they feared a lawsuit if something happened to me that could have been prevented had my card not expired. Things in VA appear to be moving in the wrong direction at the moment.

Let's hope that SCOTUS issues a very broad affirmation of 2A rights when they decide NY State Rifle and Pistol Association v State of New York this Fall. I don't think an outcome favorable to NYSRPA is much in doubt, but I am somewhat fearful of a narrowly crafted decision that fails to do much to broadly affirm a plain reading of 2A. IMO a broad affirmation could void most of the ridiculous, anti-2A, state restrictions placed on RTKBA; a defeat OR a very narrow decision could set those rights back for decades, or longer.  Sorry for the ramble...

**** MADE SLIGHT CORRECTIONS 2021-06-28 13:05:00 EDT FOR TYPOS AND CLARITY ****

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 8:55 AM, siderman said:

Until and unless SCOTUS renders a decision that forces full reciprocity in all States and Territories, or mandates full Constitutional carry nationwide, I prefer to obtain a "native" permit for every jurisdiction in which I intend to carry, whether that jurisdiction is covered by reciprocity with a permit I already hold,  or not. For example, Utah is (iirc) the most widely recognized non-resident CHP and is recognized in Virginia, where I own vacation property. Utah non-resident CHP was the first one I obtained. The question is, do I trust some local cop in one of the virulently anti-gun NOVA jurisdictions, or some rookie VSP highway patrol cop, to know that? Hell, no! One stop by a cop who doesn't know (or care to know) his business would ruin an entire vacation trip by the time I straightened it out, NTM incurring a small but real risk of being physically harmed. The way I do it (4 different CHPs) is admittedly a royal paperwork PITA, and costs me extra, but to me that is better than risking detention, arrest, lawyer fees, etc. when the effort can further minimize those risks. 

On 2/24/2021 at 9:23 PM, EX Carnival man said:

I find the best way to apply and renew is to make an appointment at a Licensing center. They can do everything there while you wait. Fingerprints, and application.  I have a bad scar and they usually have to do my electronic prints twice.  The machine tells them right than and there if its a good print or not.  Before I got a winter home in Florida I took the class here and than made the appointment at the Licensing center. I got my License in the mail 3 weeks later. When I renewed I went back to the Licensing center and the women told me to become a Florida resident and she would than be able to give me my renewal right there on the spot.  I've never waited more than 3 weeks for my renewal to come in the mail.  I have 5 years left on my current CWFL. My next renewal I will be a Florida resident.  As others have said just be careful.  Your Florida CWFL isn't valid in some states if your not a Florida resident. https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License/Concealed-Weapon-License-Reciprocity

Your experience was better than mine.  My wife and and went together to the Palm Beach Office. Her prints were messed up by a woman who didn't seem to enjoy her job. The machine didn't indicate her prints were not good.   Mine were OK.  She had to get our local NJ Sheriff's office to do a card after the rejection. It was a PITA.  Florida accepted the NRA Basic Pistol Safety Course. 

On 6/28/2021 at 9:21 AM, samiam said:

...An update on delays and a couple of notes on the Florida Concealed Weapons License application by mail process. I was just on the phone with a Florida Dept Agriculture and Consumer Services (responsible for weapons permitting) rep and was told that the current processing time is 90 - 120 days from receiving a completed application (yikes). I applied in February, but there was an issue with my initial fingerprint card and had to submit another. I was told that my application was considered complete as of May 24, so my clock started running then (fortunately, I don't have any Florida trips currently planned)....

**UPDATE** I received my Florida license by mail today, so they did exceed their promised time from when they received an acceptable fingerprint card by quite a bit. It was less than 30 days from that point. BTW, I can now confirm that, while Florida WILL NOT provide incremental updates on their on-line application status page after an initial problem is identified, they WILL update the page when your license has been issued:

https://licensing.freshfromflorida.com/CWStatusCheck/CWStatusChk.aspx