AlDente67

Any watch guys here?

They are looking for gift ideas last minute...of course...so I suggested that I like this G-shock...

Never had one before, but I like the jewelry look plus the ability to knock around, and the price is low.  What do you think?  Too gold tone?

GA100L-8A_hd.webp

• Like 1

I used to be a HUGE watch freak...but I had to back away slowly, as it’s more expensive than guns!!! I have Rolex, Seiko, and inherited an Omega and a few others. 

That being said. The G-shock is a pretty solid watch, and I rather like that one. Would make a great daily wear watch. 

• Agree 1

I have a Suunto that I like a lot... its extremely simple in what it does time, alerts from cell phone (but not a full out smart watch)... it also has nav features that are independent of the phone... we have used it a few times when hiking and even without phone service it got us back to our car on more than one occasion.. 

I’m another watch guy, my work watch which I beat up pretty good is a Seiko diver automatic, I would suggest going with an automatic winder for a daily watch, the seiko has some heft to it and wears well.

Have in my collection, Ebels, Raymond Weil, Tag, Breitling and Hublot classic crono. Have a Breitling Premier in my sights at the moment.  

• Agree 1

I used to be a “watch guy” (like automatics and have a few of the brands cited above) although I can tell you I have zero interest in digitals...that Venn Diagram has no overlap haha 

but if you want to go down some rabbit holes check out https://www.watchuseek.com/forums/ 

• Agree 1

Underrated models by steinhart.....

I've owned rolex...omega, panerai bulova etc.

My daily wear watch is a Steinhart ocean one vintage...on an NDC strap...  this watch loses 2 secs a day....  i reset it once a month....it runs better than any HIGH end watch i owned in the past.

Planet ocean sucks.... 2nd year in..broke...  swatch group fixes it for 800...and they left a thumb print on the inside of the crystal..  :/

The two omegas i have now are a constellation F300...  original electronic tuning fork movement...very accurate.

And the most accurate is an Omega Megaquartz..70's vintage...  once serviced it is abt a half sec a month....

Check out steinharts...you will not be disappointed.

5 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Underrated models by steinhart.....

I've owned rolex...omega, panerai bulova etc.

My daily wear watch is a Steinhart ocean one vintage...on an NDC strap...  this watch loses 2 secs a day....  i reset it once a month....it runs better than any HIGH end watch i owned in the past.

Planet ocean sucks.... 2nd year in..broke...  swatch group fixes it for 800...and they left a thumb print on the inside of the crystal..  :/

The two omegas i have now are a constellation F300...  original electronic tuning fork movement...very accurate.

And the most accurate is an Omega Megaquartz..70's vintage...  once serviced it is abt a half sec a month....

Check out steinharts...you will not be disappointed.

I have never looked at the Steinhart collection, the Ocean one in black 42mm is right up my alley.

Thanks for the heads up 30cal 

• Like 1

Sieko has always been underrated imo. I love their automatics. Wore one for years. I upgraded to a Tag Carrera, which I love but its terrible at keeping time. Then I got a fix on for the luminox navy seal, and it was great, but its built like a brick, with the weight to prove it. Then I got their carbonx cased blackout. And it was my go to. 

Now I wear a Samsung Active 2 that pairs with my phone. Its great cause it ties into all the house automations security and cameras. And I usually have my phone on vibe or silent. It was cheaper than any of the above watches I bought. I'm skeptical of the new version that has a microphone and gsm capabilities, but it can eliminate the need to keep your phone with you.

48 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

I have never looked at the Steinhart collection, the Ocean one in black 42mm is right up my alley.

Thanks for the heads up 30cal 

Try to give you some angles....  seriously...check em out...

Yeah rolex style homages... but at the price point...excellent timepiece

Looking at the daytona style next  ;)

16084151694917134962493151830115.jpg

16084151117528911478436844137416.jpg

16084150785703801195880504180602.jpg

1608415063190154667766071394997.jpg

When I was a teenager and into my early 20's, I was a pocket watch freak.  I liked Bulova back then.  During my time in the Army, all I had were wristwatches, usually Hamilton, Marathon or whoever had the contract to make the "Army issue" watch at the time.  I couldn't afford a Rolex or similar watch because I was buying ham radio then, LOL.

Funny story about a Casio G-Shock....

Back in my Navy days, I had this beat up G-Shock that was pretty long in the tooth. 
It was beat to the point of the band being held together with ‘EB-Green’ tape (kind of like duct tape on steroids). My shipmates made fun of me for being so cheap, and holding on to that watch.  I finally gave in, un-assed my wallet, and bought a new one at the Navy Exchange. 

We decided to ‘stress test’ the old one...so I zip tied it in the sail of my submarine. For those who don’t know, the sail, also called the ‘conning tower’ is a free flood area, and subject to sea pressure of whatever depth the boat dove to. 
A few days later, we went to sea for several weeks. 
I won’t tell you what depth we went to, but it exceeded the rating of the G-Shock by a significant margin. 

When we returned, I retrieved my old watch....and the damn thing STILL worked!! 

I don’t know if the new ones are equally tough, but I was impressed with the durability of that little $40 Casio! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1