Underdog

2020 Multi-tool Thoughts....

What are your favorite Multitools and why?  Specifically I would want a multi-tool that has a knife, saw, pliers, awl, and bottle and can opener and some screw drivers (or a driver).  Additional things that would be great are one-handed opening and locking capabilities (at least for the blades).    I have included my choices (I am a Leatherman fan), but would like additional thoughts on Gerbers, etc.

For...                                                          My choices:

EDC pocket carry:                                   Leatherman Skeletool

EDC carry in holster or bag:                  Leatherman Supertool 300 or Rebar

EDC in the woods:                                  Leatherman Supertool or Rebar

SHTF:                                                        Leatherman Supertool, Surge, or Rebar

TSA Travel:                                               Style PS

I like the Swiss Army One-Handed Trekker and the Ranger as well, but I really want a tool that locks.

My favorite tool is the Rebar but I think I might like a Signal if I had one.  

I just picked up a Leatherman Wave+ and I hate it. I haven't really found one with a saw I like. But I also haven't had a need for a saw generally.

I have the Micra and Style PS. But my current EDC favorite is the Juice S2 which of course they discontinued. I might have to try out the Skeletool.

I prefer something with a good knife, and mix of screwdrivers, bottle opener, and some form of plyers. I like to leave them scattered around the house and the wife enjoys that being a knife or decent screwdriver is usually nearby.

The Skeletool is larger than the Juice, and it is probably the largest I would pocket carry and not throw in a pack, glove compartment, carry on a belt, etc. I like the Rebar because it has a saw and an awl used when camping, hunting, etc.  It is a backup to a larger saw and a larger knife.  I like to carry the Skeletool when wandering about, but when in the woods, I prefer the Rebar or Supertool 300.  

• Like 1

I have a old (patent pending) Wave that I would hate to lose. I do not want bits, i don't trust the redesigned scissors, and I am pretty sure there are a few other changes I didn't like about the updated Wave.

I always carry knives, so blades on my Wave are rarely used. However, Leatherman's serrated blade is on the "correct" side of the blade for right handed users, unlike most serrated edges. Makes a better flush cut easier. Unfortunately, Leatherman loves their 420HC blade steel in most of their blades, and I dislike that steel.

I want to refurbish my old Wave, saw and file could use replacing. The diamond material is pretty much gone, and saw needs a serious sharpening.

I have considered a Charge TTi but have yet to upgrade.

I carried an old Coleman Pro-Lock for more the 20 years everyday. That, a small adjustable wrench, a flashlight and a Fluke meter while doing my rounds on the roof AC units and I fixed many small problems before they became big problems. The thing I loved about the Coleman was the cartridge was removable so if I needed to hold a nut while using the screwdriver I could. Most other "multi tools" you can only use one of the tools at a time. The idea was you could custom build your MT with different cartridges to fit your needs. Never really caught on but you can still find then on ebay. I still strap mine on when taking the bike out just incase.

Belt Multitool | My Slotted Life

Have about 12 of them all full size scattered about in my truck, car, house, range bag, bugout bag, night table, no particulate favorite they all come in handy and I don't keep track of how I use each one, just that I always have at least one nearby wherever I roam. Although one Leatherman has a black chunk out of the big blade from a hasty run in with a live wire many yrs ago lol. A few may be 25-30 yrs old and they are a mix of Leathermans, Gerber's, Swiss Army, Coleman,and probly another few. Actually had to send a old Leatherman out for repair couple weeks ago,done with no questions asked and a one week turnaround. 

On 12/20/2020 at 11:15 AM, Malice4you said:

I have a old (patent pending) Wave that I would hate to lose. I do not want bits, i don't trust the redesigned scissors, and I am pretty sure there are a few other changes I didn't like about the updated Wave.

I always carry knives, so blades on my Wave are rarely used. However, Leatherman's serrated blade is on the "correct" side of the blade for right handed users, unlike most serrated edges. Makes a better flush cut easier. Unfortunately, Leatherman loves their 420HC blade steel in most of their blades, and I dislike that steel.

I want to refurbish my old Wave, saw and file could use replacing. The diamond material is pretty much gone, and saw needs a serious sharpening.

I have considered a Charge TTi but have yet to upgrade.

The charge TTI is much bigger. 

I had an original wave and it was petty much perfect. Mine got beat up enough it needs a refurb, and if you mail it in they may jsut send you a new style wave, which isn't even close to as good. I just picked up a wave+ which is the closest thing to it.  It's still biggger and heavier, but really the only change in functionality is the scissors are not as good, but still good enough. Losing the deadicated phillips head for bits means you lose the ability to take small electronics apart. However, you do add bits, so if you feel like carrying a bit card, you do gain the ability to deal with hex and torx. The wave+ is better at the range than the wave was, but is not quite as good in the office or at christmas time than the original wave. 

On 12/19/2020 at 8:56 PM, sfdxsm said:

I just picked up a Leatherman Wave+ and I hate it. I haven't really found one with a saw I like. But I also haven't had a need for a saw generally.

I have the Micra and Style PS. But my current EDC favorite is the Juice S2 which of course they discontinued. I might have to try out the Skeletool.

I prefer something with a good knife, and mix of screwdrivers, bottle opener, and some form of plyers. I like to leave them scattered around the house and the wife enjoys that being a knife or decent screwdriver is usually nearby.

Why didn't you like the Wave+?  Still don't like it or has it grown on you?