JHZR2

Removal of firearm purchase permits?

Hello,

This is kind of political, kind of election-focused, etc., but I guess it fits here best...

I really don't mind having to have the FID card. Yeah, it's nice to go to the gun shop and just buy with a DL and a background check like in other states... but the FID card is OK, IMHO.

What IS annoying, is that any time that one wants to buy a handgun, they must get a permit to buy, and that they expire. Even getting the permit really isn't the end of the world... I don't see why it is needed - I guess to allow a cool-off if I was to buy a gun to kill somebody (really stupid on many other levels, but let's move on), or if a big "rumble" or gang war was coming up, so that lots of arms could not be bought last minute... but since they expire, they are a hassle and a cost. I'll get them, and I wouldnt complain if they didnt expire (forget the hassle with getting an extension)... but they do.

Is there any indication on part of any of the political candidates that the hassle of "pistol permits" would be done away with? CCW, castle doctrine, etc. are all great. Im not asking to repeal the laws requiring the FID, or even the permits... but just make it easier/longer lasting.

Anyone hear any comments on this aspect?

The state check was enacted years before the NICS check was started by the feds. It is redundant now and should be done away with, a effort is underway being pushed by local dealers. The dealers really feel the push of the state check, they get charged for every call, even dropped ones. They are pushing the governor hard on this. It is a serious waste of twp taxes having these detectives run down this info, then 75% or so are wrong anyway.

When I got my FID, I was new in Jersey and did not know anybody that would give me reference I put people from out of state. :shock: Today, there is no reason for having the FID when you have to go through the NICS check.

I agree that having permits is pointless and an absolute nuisance. What's even more annoying in the current setup is the fact that they expire and that in order to get more you have to go through the entire process again!!

When my buddy got his firearm about 5 yrs ago he used me as a reference, at the time I still lived in NY.

Both of my references, one a retired NYC cop and one a cop in my town and both said they were never contacted. Go figure.

I don't think contacting the references is a requirement. Until I moved to where I live now my references were never contacted. Now the PD sends them a questionaire that they need to fill out and return before my permits will be processed.

I feel the same way as others.

If the police department grants you a permit to buy a handgun then the NICS check fee should be waived for three days from the date the PP was issued. After the three days from the issue date then the $15.00 fee should stand.

I think the #1 reason for all the hassle is multiple sources of $$$$. It's another way to nickle and dime us to death. Maybe we should propose that CCW comes with an annual fee?

THIS!!!!! Remember, New PP's or change of Address/Card Replacement at MOST cost a couple of bucks for the forms..now the State wants $18.00 for EVERY transaction with firearm ID cards/permits. More fees, more revenues and if people dont want the bother..oh well, less gun owners it's a win-win for them either way. it sucks for the local PD's because their hands are now tied. The good depts that had a quick (1-2 week) turnaround are now taking the same as everyone else because of the delays from NJSP because of the volume of permit stuff they have to do now....NONE of which is necessary, since if they livescan your prints you get a conformation back within 5 minutes from AFIS as to any criminal/arrest history, or Restraining orders. It's all nonsense bt they do it because....They CAN