Downtownv

What do we like for gun Cleaning Solvent these days?

Mega dittos on the EWL. Giving some to new shooters for Christmas.

Side note: my instructor at Sig used this exclusively on his P220 SAO. He shot an average of 3,000 rounds a week with that pistol, including instruction and his matches. He liked to run the gun 'wet'. His 'cleaning' amounted to wiping it down.

My experience has been similar, although I could only dream about shooting 3,000 rounds a week.

@Downtownv:

The cleaners suggested by others above for the most part work fine, so this really is a matter of personal preference.  Some folks here just continue to use what they have always used, uninterested in trying anything new or different that may actually be an improvement.

As I am sure you are aware, there are numerous products on the market that are made specifically to Clean, Lubricate and Protect (CLP) firearms, as well as lubricants intended for other applications, (i.e. Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil).  Most of them work just fine for firearms and the important thing is to use them on a regular basis.  

My preference is to use separate products to clean, lubricate and protect my firearms, instead of using one product that claims to do all of the above (CLP), such as Ballistol multi-use spray or Break Free CLP.  While these products may work fine for some folks, I do not believe that one size fits all.  I find it hard to believe that one product will do as good a job of cleaning, lubricating and protecting all parts of a firearm, as compared to different products that are formulated to do one specific task and do it really well. 

For the past five years, I have been using the M-Pro 7 military grade gun cleaning system and lubricant product line, using their specific products for each task.  Check out their web site for more information:

http://www.mpro7.com/

FYI, the M-Pro 7 products are used by the U.S. military and perform above the minimum MILSPEC requirements.  For example, the minimum cleaning efficiency for the MILSPEC is 70%.  In an independent government funded test the M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner scored 98% cleaning efficiency for one cleaning pass and worked 4 times faster than most other cleaners, which scored between 50% - 74% cleaning efficiency.  

Also, I appreciate that all M-Pro7 gun cleaning products are odorless, non-hazardous, biodegradable and non-flammable, unlike some of the cleaners suggested by others.  Also, they use a unique blend of modern chemical technologies containing corrosion inhibitors and surfactants with a non-toxic solvent base to provide superior cleaning without the intense smell of other cleaners, (i.e. Hoppe's in particular). 

The M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner thoroughly strips the surface of all oil and grease.  It breaks up carbon particles from the bore steel, therefore allowing for a very good job of removing both the surface carbon particles along with the embedded metal fouling.  In the cleaning process I use brass and soft bristle brushes, cotton patches as well as bore snakes in tandem, treated with the cleaning solution.  I then use a can of compressed air to blow out any remaining cleaning solution from those hard to reach areas.  Once it is dry, I will apply the appropriate gun oil or grease as the lubricant, where necessary.

I hope this helps and gives you another option to consider....

AVB-AMG

19 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

Hoppe's #9 to clean.  The olfactory nerves are directly connected to the pleasure center in most shooters's brains. The sweet smell of #9 is almost enough to elicit an orgasmic reaction.

CLP or Mobil 1 to lube.

I asked my wife, mking director for fragrance company, if they could make and sell mens products that smell like hoppes 9 to men...lol

1 hour ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I asked my wife, mking director for fragrance company, if they could make and sell mens products that smell like hoppes 9 to men...lol

In these times, we need to to stay below the radar! My wife hates guns and knows that scent well!