May20

Does anyone know how/where you can view your own E-permits?

According to my approval email, my E-permits are to expire on Jan 12th. I read in this forum that the E-permits are issued for 90 days initially and will automatically be extended for another 90 days. I would like to view the permits to see if the expiration date is stated as Jan 12th. Has anyone done this? If so, what website should I go to?

Also, if and when your E-permits are automatically extended, will you receive another email from NJSP with a new expiration date? Without it, I will have nothing to show the dealer that I have a valid permit(s).  

I had my first E-permit executed on Tuesday. I asked the shop clerk to look at my E-permit and tell me what expiration date it showed. It was the original expiration date (Jan 12th) which means the extension hasn't been done. I received an email from NJSP on the same day which contained a link to download and print the executed permit (!). I downloaded the executed permit but it only showed basic info and there was nothing new.

I will have to call my local PD one of these days and ask about the extension procedure. 

I spoke to my local PD today. I was told that my unused E-permits would be automatically extended for 90 days. I asked if I would receive an email indicating the new expiration date and was told that they didn't know since the system is still so new. My E-permits' original expiration date is January 12th. I will report back if I receive an email notice of extension.

16 hours ago, PK90 said:

Isn't still 180 days from the issue date? Look at your first permit.

No. The expiration date is 90 days from the issue date. It is supposed to be automatically extended for 90 days when the original expiration date hits. I can't look at my permits because these are E-permits. 

Yesterday was the original expiration date of the initial 90 days of my E-permits and I found the following email from NJportal in my inbox this morning:

This is the confirmation of renewal of Permit to Purchase a Handgun.

Confirmation Number: XXXXXXXXXXX
SBI Number: XXXXXXX
Issuing Police Department: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Contact Phone for Issuing Police Department: XXXXXXXXXX
Status Update: Permit Renewal
Number of Available Permits: 2
Expiry Date: 04/12/2021

All permits require a NICS Check to be conducted by a NJ Licensed Firearms Dealership, with the following exceptions:
  • Transfer/sale between Law Enforcement Officer
  • Transfer/Sale between Immediate Family Members
  • Transfer/Sale with Licensed Curio/Relic Dealer
If any of the above exception is applicable, the Private Seller can execute the permit at following website:
If you have any further questions about your card/permit please contact your issuing police department.
See what else you can do online at www.NJ.gov.

NJ.gov - The official web site for the State of New Jersey

As my local PD told me, my unused E-permits have been automatically extended for 90 days and I now have a written notice to show for it. However, my original question, if there is any way I can view my own E-permits, remains unanswered. Unfortunately, the local PD does not have much information on E-permits to answer the question.

• Informative 1

14 minutes ago, iRONman said:

I was just told I had to write a letter to the chief of police in Monroe if I wanted to renew my permits. Where did you find literature saying that it was automatically renewed? Seems like a deterrent to getting permits. 

As I said in my previous post, I read about the automatic extension of E-permits somewhere in this forum (don't ask me where because I don't remember). I then called my local PD to confirm it. I never said I found a literature about it.

When you said that you had been told to write a letter to your local police chief for an extension, were you talking about paper permit or E-permit? They are completely different animals and can't be mixed together. In this thread, I am strictly talking about the E-permits.

If they automatically extend unused E-permits for additional 90 days, why don't they give 180 days from the get go to save time and trouble? I have no idea. However, I don't think an automatic extension can be a deterrent to getting permits in any way.

42 minutes ago, iRONman said:

Also, what exactly do they want me to write. Lol 

I would suggest against:

Dear so-called "chief,"

You work for me, so you had better extend my permits pronto or I will write another strongly worded letter!

Signed, your boss