Squaregrouper

Speer G2 (Gold Dot 2) Legality

It is my understanding that Hornady Critical Defense is legal because the hollow point is filled in. Does the same go for Speer G2? The hollow point is filled in with an elastomer, so it technically isn't a hollow point. Logic says it should be treated the same as a Critical Defense round.

I want to gift a box to a NJ relative, but don't want to run afoul of NJ laws.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Speer Gold Dot G2 9mm 147gr

1 minute ago, GRIZ said:

Hollow points are not illegal in NJ.

That's true. But the transportation 'exclusions' only cover from FFL, to home, and to range. They don't exclude buying hollow points as a gift at an FFL, taking them home to wrap up, and then transporting to a relative's house. (Assuming the relative has a FID for handgun ammo purchase.) Ask Brian Aitken.

Yes that's ridiculous. But that is my understanding of the law, which is what the OP inquired about.

OP: If you want to gift Speer G2 take your relative to a FFL with stock and let him/her buy it and take it home. Or gift him/her the money and let them buy it at an FFL or online. That's all perfectly legal.

3 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

That's true. But the transportation 'exclusions' only cover from FFL, to home, and to range. They don't exclude buying hollow points as a gift at an FFL, taking them home to wrap up, and then transporting to a relative's house. (Assuming the relative has a FID for handgun ammo purchase.) Ask Brian Aitken.

Yes that's ridiculous. But that is my understanding of the law, which is what the OP inquired about.

OP: If you want to gift Speer G2 take your relative to a FFL with stock and let him/her buy it and take it home. Or gift him/her the money and let them buy it at an FFL or online. That's all perfectly legal.

Thanks for clarifying. They are currently in my possession.  I will hold off and give them to him at his Poconos house over New Years.

FWIW- I live in Marylandistan and we have our fair share of nonsensical gun laws as well.