Downtownv

1ST TIME I EVER SAW THIS! NJ GUN LAW

18 minutes ago, Indianajonze said:

what's different? looks exactly the same to me

It's misleading if you currently have a FPID. With an FPID, possession of a long gun is legal ANYWHERE unless prohibited by law(like school grounds). That means you could throw an unloaded bare rifle on your front seat and be legal. 

Since Pistols are illegal to possess in NJ, you have to follow New Jersey Statutes 2C:39-6. Exemptions in order to be in "compliance"

2C:39-5.  Unlawful possession of weapons.

c.   Rifles and shotguns. 

(1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)   Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

It allows you to carry unloaded rifles and shotguns. Don't forget a non-NFA 'Other' is neither a rifle nor a shotgun.

17 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

It allows you to carry unloaded rifles and shotguns. Don't forget a non-NFA 'Other' is neither a rifle nor a shotgun.

Correct, you dont even need an FPID to carry an other since they aren't prohibited like handguns are, or restricted to a fpid like long guns.

1 minute ago, JackDaWack said:

Correct, you done even need an FPID to carry an other since they aren't prohibited like handguns are, or restricted to a fpid like long guns.

Only if you have a manifestly appropriate lawful use for it at the time. Self defense is not deemed a lawful use in NJ.

2C:39-5.  Unlawful possession of weapons.

d.   Other weapons.  Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

I've seen this before but gone to actual statutes to determine what I can and can't do. There is a statute with the wording of the top line though. The part I find interesting is where it says "securely tied package". I don't know what the courts would say (actually I do), but I think if you made that statement to any rational person (or even a liberal and didn't tell them what it was in regard to) and asked them if wrapped in brown paper with twine around it  satisfied "securely tied package", they'd say G2G

On 12/22/2020 at 3:54 PM, Mr.Stu said:

Only if you have a manifestly appropriate lawful use for it at the time. Self defense is not deemed a lawful use in NJ.

So, in theory, I could sling two unloaded ARs (one over each shoulder) and walk to the range on public thoroughfares?

I'm going to the range to legally practice.

As long as I have an FPID?

Or might I be cited and arrested for disturbing the peace?

And are you saying no FPID is required for a non-NFA firearm like Dark Storm)?

1 minute ago, leahcim said:

So, in theory, I could sling two unloaded ARs (one over each shoulder) and walk to the range?

I'm going to the range to legally practice.

As long as I have an FPID?

You can do that and you don't need to be going to the range if you have your FPIC. You are breaking no firearms law. Just stay away from prohibited places such as schools and post offices.

Or might I be cited and arrested for disturbing the peace?

You might, Rabbit. You might.

And are you saying no FPID is required for a non-NFA firearm like Dark Storm)?

I'm saying your FPIC doesn't help you with your non-NFA other firearm because it is not a rifle or a shotgun. Similarly, your FPIC doesn't help you with a handgun for the same reason.

• Informative 1