Redeye65

Star chamber cleaning question

Finally put enough rounds through my AR-15 to clean it, enjoyed my first cleaning. When I got to the star chamber it turned into a small project trying to clean it with qtips, I see that Otis makes a tool for cleaning the chamber, but looks to be a gimmick, swab-it has a simple foam cleaning tool that looks like it would do the job with some hoppes bore cleaner on it. 

What does everyone else do to clean out the star chamber?

Thanks for the advise.  

6 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

Finally put enough rounds through my AR-15 to clean it, enjoyed my first cleaning. When I got to the star chamber it turned into a small project trying to clean it with qtips, I see that Otis makes a tool for cleaning the chamber, but looks to be a gimmick, swab-it has a simple foam cleaning tool that looks like it would do the job with some hoppes bore cleaner on it. 

What does everyone else do to clean out the star chamber?

Thanks for the advise.  

I use the Otis brush, lol. Not a gimmick. Its sized for the chamber and for barrel extension. Works great. 

I got it with their universal cleaning kit.

11 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

Do you use bore cleaner with the Otis tool? The video I watched, it was used dry and didn’t seem to remove much of anything.  

Always, hoppes #9. I run my wet patch, then my brushes, and repeat depending on how much grime is there. Then run a dry patch. And spray the Hornady HD dry lube down the barrel for Protection.  

I dont beleive its advised to run brushes on a dry bore/chamber. 

It definitely works cause the brush is filthy when I'm done. 

spray in some non chlorinated brake cleaner

little hoppes 9, bore brush, 2 turns

spray in some hoppes 9 and clean with qtips

bore cleaner, foaming, let rifle sit end pointing into a drain can (I have a bench set up)

spray hoppes 9 when cleaner has stopped dripping

patch 2 or 3 times

boresnake

this after a few thousand rounds

39 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

spray in some non chlorinated brake cleaner

bore brush, 2 turns

spray in some hoppes 9 and clean with qtips

bore cleaner, foaming, let rifle sit end pointing into a drain can (I have a bench set up)

spray hoppes 9 when cleaner has stopped dripping

patch 2 or 3 times

boresnake

this after a few thousand rounds

It didn’t seem like I was able to get into the slots of the star chamber with q-tips.

You do not do any cleaning on the chamber other than at 2k rounds?

10 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

It didn’t seem like I was able to get into the slots of the star chamber with q-tips.

You do not do any cleaning on the chamber other than at 2k rounds?

no, no real need to but this is for regular rifles. 

I don’t think I have ever done more than a few Q-tips and some lube - and I shoot a lot.

Usually it’s: Spray cleaner on, wipe it down, bore snake the barrel, and lube it up. Take a toothbrush to your bolt if it’s really really bad...

I don’t do a full cleaning until my inspection and preventative maintenance schedule kicks in between 5000 and 7000 rounds.

Don't overthink this. Unless you are turning your carbine in for inspection, don’t go nuts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've tried a number of things, mostly because they were under $40 and could be put on my gift list for my extended family without anyone freaking out about being put on a list or some such. 

So, in no particular order of trying them: 

1) some kit with a short dewey rod and some bolt lug shaped cleaning felts. Surprisingly worked pretty well. I was happy with it, but it went poof when I moved. Amazon has a much cheaper version here: https://smile.amazon.com/NIDAYE-Pack-Bronze-Brush-Chamber/dp/B079BTJD54/ref=pd_bxgy_img_3/133-7256738-5742256?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079BTJD54&pd_rd_r=dbeb126b-4ca9-4512-b4a4-f30e8440b6c3&pd_rd_w=GOfPP&pd_rd_wg=J6bBZ&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=Q47PMC8ZBHJTS0KV6RHX&psc=1&refRID=Q47PMC8ZBHJTS0KV6RHX 

This is essentially what that otis tool is as well as the real avid chamber boss. It works, but it requires consumables that are less cheap. 

2) The CAT talon. This is likely a decent tool if you are going to be dealing with uncared for AR-15s as it is more of a lug scraper. It doesn't really keep it clean. It unfouls it when it is really fouled. In theory. I've never had an ar-15 in that state. It does take a threaded insert, so you can use it as a rod for using the below. 

3) The good old otis chamber brush. or anyone's really. Combine it with a  bore snake and a q-tip and you can keep your chamber and locking lugs nice and clean. 

1 hour ago, Redeye65 said:

Thanks everyone.

The otis tool with a pad makes sense now, not sure why the you tube video I watch was using the pad dry and coming out with nothing, it must have been a competitors video... lol

The description page of Otis tool sucks. I didn’t see it the first time but the tool lets you use a metal scraper or the pads. They might have been using the scraper within us probably like the talon and I’d really only useful for knocking the big chunks off.