kc17

Powder dispenser on a Turret Press

I came across a couple of videos discouraging the use of a dispenser on a turret. The logic being that the vibration causes the powder to settle/compact which causes inconsistent throws. One guy even did a test which did show inconsistent charges. While I cannot see a reason to argue with his results on the surface, it does raise some questions.

First, why would manufactures, such as Lee, produce such a design with their Turret press? It wouldn't seem to me that the auto-indexing design would cause less vibration vs manual indexing. If anything, I'd think the heavier weight and design of a manual indexing press would reduce vibration compared to (for example) the lighter weight Lee.

Next, the examples I've seen are dealing with larger rifle loads for example, 26 grains. How would a small pistol charge compare, for example something in the 3 to 6 grain realm.

I've also read about the use of a baffle to help keep charges consistent, making me wonder if that would help.

I'm wondering if anyone has done their own testing, similar to the one in the video, but with a smaller charge. I will likely do my own, but I'm waiting on delivery of a powder through die.

Here's one of the videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3NR06Cp0MM

1 hour ago, kc17 said:

I came across a couple of videos discouraging the use of a dispenser on a turret. The logic being that the vibration causes the powder to settle/compact which causes inconsistent throws. One guy even did a test which did show inconsistent charges. While I cannot see a reason to argue with his results on the surface, it does raise some questions.

First, why would manufactures, such as Lee, produce such a design with their Turret press? It wouldn't seem to me that the auto-indexing design would cause less vibration vs manual indexing. If anything, I'd think the heavier weight and design of a manual indexing press would reduce vibration compared to (for example) the lighter weight Lee.

Next, the examples I've seen are dealing with larger rifle loads for example, 26 grains. How would a small pistol charge compare, for example something in the 3 to 6 grain realm.

I've also read about the use of a baffle to help keep charges consistent, making me wonder if that would help.

I'm wondering if anyone has done their own testing, similar to the one in the video, but with a smaller charge. I will likely do my own, but I'm waiting on delivery of a powder through die.

Here's one of the videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3NR06Cp0MM

I load a lot of light pistol loads on a manually indexed progressive press.  The powder measure has a baffle (its Dillon hardware).  It is freakishly consistent.  I can go months without seeing a variation of even 0.1 gr, with flake powders-they tend to meter well in general.  The only thing I do to keep the charges consistent-and I’m not even sure how much it matters-is to only pull the handle once on a charge I’m going to put in a case.  For example, if I’m fiddling with the resizing die or having issues seating primers, I might pull the handle multiple times with no case under the powder drop. That might compact a bit more powder into the charge bar, so when I’m ready to start loading progressively, I’ll dump that first charge back in the hopper and start fresh with a one pull, one loaded cartridge cadence. 

• Like 1

I always used the lee disc system with my Lee Classic Turret press for pistol loads and it was very consistent. Maybe not match grade but good enough for range ammo. If you use ball powders, they will meter just fine.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kc17 said:

Thanks for the input.

On a progressive press, the die head is stationary, while the shell plate rotates, correct? That seems to me that it would eliminate some additional vibration in the dispenser.

Correct.

Wouldn’t worry about it.  Yes you’ll have variances.  But unless you’re gonna hand measure each load.  3 time the actual time.  Youll be fine.  I had 5? Differential in loads with the chrono today.  Thanks coltnut.  Although i shot it again today.  Precision rifle is a whole different thing.  Every gr must be hand measured.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just loaded 150 rounds of 38 S&W, not special.

190gr lead 1.9gr of bullseye on a lyman spar T turret with an rcbs powder measure...

Sampled four rounds...1.9, 1.9, 1.8, 1.9 -

Powder measure spins with the turret, that's the one on the far left

16091606026382295291738189184747.jpg

• Like 2