brucin

Chiappa RAK 9 NJ legal?

6 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Did you purchase one? 

Yes It's pretty fun to shoot. I changed the furniture to something more classic AK. he polymer stock it comes with is just fuggly.

2 minutes ago, brucin said:

Yes It's pretty fun to shoot. I changed the furniture to something more classic AK. he polymer stock it comes with is just fuggly.

How's the reliability? You think it'd make a nice home defense carbine?

I put about 100 rounds using both the factory magazines and with the optional adaptor Beretta 92 mags. Not a hiccup.

While not the first thing I'd grab, in my limited experience I think it would be fine as a home defense PCC.

I have only put ball ammo through it. I have not tried self defense rounds.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:17 PM, brucin said:

I put about 100 rounds using both the factory magazines and with the optional adaptor Beretta 92 mags. Not a hiccup.

While not the first thing I'd grab, in my limited experience I think it would be fine as a home defense PCC.

Curious if you have any more updates.  I'm browsing more guns I don't need and this one still seems awesome .

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 11:17 PM, brucin said:

Also how's the take down and cleaning?

On 10/3/2021 at 8:06 PM, Cheflife15 said:

Curious if you have any more updates.  I'm browsing more guns I don't need and this one still seems awesome .

So far so good. Still shooting great.

As for take down and cleaning it's just like an AK. Remove dust cover and slide the bolt and recoil spring out and you good to go.

One problem that I discovered is that the standard AK sites and 59 year old eyes shooting 6 inch steel at 60 yards is not easy.

It has an AK rail mounted on the side of the receiver so I just purchased an Arsenal SM 13 scope mount. It seems quite solid and can be easily removed and mounted without losing zero but I have not put a scope on it yet. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, brucin said:

So far so good. Still shooting great.

As for take down and cleaning it's just like an AK. Remove dust cover and slide the bolt and recoil spring out and you good to go.

One problem that I discovered is that the standard AK sites and 59 year old eyes shooting 6 inch steel at 60 yards is not easy.

It has an AK rail mounted on the side of the receiver so I just purchased an Arsenal SM 13 scope mount. It seems quite solid and can be easily removed and mounted without losing zero but I have not put a scope on it yet. 

I'm trying to gauge the size from the pictures.  You think it would make a decent home defense gun? I'm either going to turn it into a home defense gun or a steel challenge gun, 2 very different things lol.

You can remove the factory stock and put any AK variant stock that is jersey legal or run it without a stock but not sure about the legality of no stock. You will have to add a pistol grip as the factory stock and grip are integrated but AK pistol grips are easy to find.

As for steel challenge you will have to invest in the scope mount and a red dot but I think with those upgrades it would be quite serviceable.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, brucin said:

You can remove the factory stock and put any AK variant stock that is jersey legal or run it without a stock but not sure about the legality of no stock. You will have to add a pistol grip as the factory stock and grip are integrated but AK pistol grips are easy to find.

As for steel challenge you will have to invest in the scope mount and a red dot but I think with those upgrades it would be quite serviceable.

Nice. I was guna use a high point for steel challenge just to mess around but that gun feeds like crap. I just want something less expensive to run a ton of rounds through without feeling guilty.

Mag changes with the Glock or Beretta adaptors can be a bit of a challenge as they don't drop free. The stock mags don't drop free either as they are AK style mags.

With a little practice you can get proficient with either one.

On 10/5/2021 at 6:09 PM, brucin said:

Mag changes with the Glock or Beretta adaptors can be a bit of a challenge as they don't drop free. The stock mags don't drop free either as they are AK style mags.

With a little practice you can get proficient with either one.

I would be doing steel challenge mostly with it so there's no rush to change mags. As long as it feeds and fires reliably I'd be happy. 

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

Also this sounds fun, what ranges do this? 

Check out my post in events and meet ups. If you want more info PM me.

• Thanks 1