Mrs. Peel

Shop-Rite Can-Can Sale - (Updated, 2024) - presale ends 1/6, main sale starts 1/7

For anyone starting (or replenishing) a well-stocked home pantry, the Shop-Rite Can-Can sale is on right now and continues through this Saturday, Jan 9th. As per usual,, they have some decent prices on pantry staples like canned tomatoes, tuna, soups & broths, etc. The can-can sale is a good option price-wise for filling any gaps in your pantry, particularly if you're not a member of Costco or another discount club.

Start here to find your local Shop-Rite store - https://shop.shoprite.com/globaldata/banner-pages/store-locator - from there you can view that store's weekly flyer with sale details. 

Happy prepping! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

I was hoping the Can-Can sale meant I could get one for the Glock, one for the AR.  

But apparently Shop-Rite interprets 'can' to mean something else entirely.

• Haha 4

Another year, another Can-Can sale! This is the 2nd week - it runs through Saturday, Jan 15.

Their usual suspects are on sale - Progresso soups, Bumblebee solid white tuna, Tutturoso tomatoes, store & name brands of various canned veggies, other convenient shelf-stable food like pasta/name brand mac & cheese mixes, etc. - along with sales on many other items including Lysol products, paper goods, fresh foods, etc. It's a pretty extensive list. Not everything is a HUGE discount, so check your prices. That said, there are a number of items that are a dollar or more off per item as compared to regular pricing. So, that's definitely worth checking out, especially as inflation skyrockets. I don't know what their supply/inventory is like... that might differ store to store.

They say you eventually turn into your parents, right? Well, I use to laugh (not mean, but teasing) at my dear old dad because he was right on top of each grocery chain's sales, he kept a fully stocked pantry which spilled over into additional cabinets that he added in the laundry room, he kept a filled-to-the-brim chest freezer, he kept common spare parts on hand to fix the toilets, or the furnace, etc. We use to tease him and say he was "getting ready for a nuclear winter". Now that I'm older and wiser, I realize he was just smart, well-prepared, and ahead of his time! :good: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Sota said:

they have low sodium versions now

What fun is that? Go big or go home.

1 hour ago, ESB said:

Any other options that would make a particular item last longer?  

Yeah, buy the cans that aren't dented.

2 hours ago, ESB said:

Do the options with salt last longer than the ones without?  Any other options that would make a particular item last longer?  

Tuna in water vs oil?  

From what I've read, salt is added more as "seasoning" than for preservation purposes. It's the high heat of the canning process that actually does the preserving. As people have become more conscious of salt intake and it's unhealthy aspects, as Sota noted, there are more and more low-sodium options on the shelves. Just about every major brand offers low-sodium versions to meet those concerns. I also believe water vs. oil for tuna is more of a preference as well.

Just rotate your product is what I've always read on the prepping sites. I just set my stuff up in rows (by product type), and when I buy new items, I dutifully shift each little row forward, and add the new items to the back - so nothing is ever going to be in my stock for - I don't know, maybe 18 months at most? But, I'm not prepping for a nuclear winter either.

I also don't "live" on a steady supply of canned food normally - so I'm not too worried if something is a little salty as I dip into these supplies. Usually, I prefer to make home-made soups and put extra in the freezer and pull from that supply. But everyone once in awhile, if nothing is in the freezer, and I'm feeling l-a-z-y... yeah, I grab a can of Progresso and I don't feel guilty about it. If I have canned soup 2 or 3 times month, it's a lot. And, if the world goes crazy... and I'm hunkered in my house and need to really dive into my canned goods... there are always things you can do... like adding extra water, other seasoning and unsalted cooked pasta - to make additional servings, each serving with less salt content. 

• Agree 1

with regards to salt, or any other <insert ingredient here>, in the case of some level of SHTF, i'm not really going to concern myself with eating 100% healthy; just having reasonable nourishment is a far larger concern. We're talking about days or at worst weeks of stash eating.  If it gets into months or years, I'd contend that you have FAR more pressing concerns than eating healthy.

Also, I'm going to suggest people look into something that I consider is an overlooked aspect of prepping: storage and transport.
i bring this up because, of the past couple of years I've gotten heavily into using milk crates to store and transport stuff.  They're conveniently sized, easy to transport, stack and interlock.  The one company i've gotten them from has 4-gal, 6-gal, and "super" crate sizes, so depending on your physical abilities you can adjust to your needs.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sota said:

with regards to salt, or any other <insert ingredient here>, in the case of some level of SHTF, i'm not really going to concern myself with eating 100% healthy; just having reasonable nourishment is a far larger concern. We're talking about days or at worst weeks of stash eating.  If it gets into months or years, I'd contend that you have FAR more pressing concerns than eating healthy.

Also, I'm going to suggest people look into something that I consider is an overlooked aspect of prepping: storage and transport.
i bring this up because, of the past couple of years I've gotten heavily into using milk crates to store and transport stuff.  They're conveniently sized, easy to transport, stack and interlock.  The one company i've gotten them from has 4-gal, 6-gal, and "super" crate sizes, so depending on your physical abilities you can adjust to your needs.

Excellent point on the crates. I've been utilizing them for 40+ yrs. Great storage option, minimal footprint if space is an issue as they stack as high as practical for you. You can reasonably see the contents and they get good airflow for ventilation . They also make great building blocks, use solo as a seat, throw a plank or pc of plywood on top you have a bench or table....just keep in mind there's a difference between the heavy duty old school real ones  vs some of the newer "designer" ones. And as Sota referred to they can get heavy so mind that. I had 40 of them prior to my move but not for food more of an industrial use, practcaly indestructible. 

https://www.milkcratesdirect.com/

I've been buying mine from this place.

Close enough that I can pick them up, and even gotten a few for the farm in the past. :D

other nice thing is, a 12x18 dolly from harbor freight is the perfect size to screw down a single rectangle crate to, giving you a nice, stable way of moving around a whole stack of them neatly and easily.

8 minutes ago, ESB said:

Shop Rite's Can Can sale 2023 is ON!  

https://www.shoprite.com/sm/pickup/rsid/3000/cancan

LOL! Hey, you! I was just going to post that... Oh well. I graciously acknowledge your quicker draw. ;) 

Everyone should check with their own store... I'm not sure if this is done at EVERY store, but mine is now in its pre-Can Can "kick-off sale"  (where a bulk - but not all - of the items are marked down), and then the full sale kicks in after the 7th. Again, varies from store to store perhaps? Have fun! Stock up that pantry!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Are there any French girls dancing in suggestive clothing involved here somewhere?

Aktually the Shop-Rite can-can commercial from way back did have dancing girls in frilly dresses.

That was a catchy commercial, I can still sing it word for word.:D

And you can sing it too:

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mike77 said:

define "girls"

X-X. Trust the science. Were you the one asking the question in that confirmation hearing? :icon_twisted:

4 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Aktually the Shop-Rite can-can commercial from way back did have dancing girls in frilly dresses.

You're right sir! Now that you mention it, I remember the cartoon characters. And the jingle!

@Mike77 LOL yes that's it.

And now I also recall that I bought another product in cans. Wait for it.... Shoprite BEER!. $0.88 a SIX pack. It was cheaper than Coke. Also Pathmark beer. I kept one of each until about five years ago when I finally cleaned out my office for renovation.

11 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

@Mike77 LOL yes that's it.

And now I also recall that I bought another product in cans. Wait for it.... Shoprite BEER!. $0.88 a SIX pack. It was cheaper than Coke. Also Pathmark beer. I kept one of each until about five years ago when I finally cleaned out my office for renovation.

Pathmark had the best Fried Chicken growing up.