Mrs. Peel

Shop-Rite Can-Can Sale - (Updated, 2024) - presale ends 1/6, main sale starts 1/7

On 1/7/2024 at 11:03 PM, Scorpio64 said:

Picked up a 7# roasting chicken for like, five bucks.  I think the final price was 69 cents/Lb.  Gonna have a mini Thanksgiving dinner later this week.

I know, right?! :good: I just got back from my curbside pick-up. I bought almost entirely shelf-stable preps (pasta, canned goods, etc.)  - my original online order totalled 344. and after all the sales discounts, it was only 183. at pick-up! (Can't beat that with a stick! I'm still flushed with shopping victory!!) I usually hit this sale twice-annually (they run it in January, and again in early summer) to "top off" my supplies. So far, I'm staying true to my goal of always having a minimum of 3 months' worth of food in the house - without buying those pricey dehydrated meals (that I would probably never even eat). I would encourage others to check out the sale! It's a good one.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I know, right?! :good:

We gonna eat like it's 1989

9 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

without buying those pricey dehydrated meals (that I would probably never even eat).

The cost per Mountain House dehydrated meal is less than $5 per mouth to feed, and even eating an entire package at $9/ea is still going to be cheaper than whatever is available when SHTF.  Plus, if you have to transport 1,000 meals in a hurry, there is no easier way than dehydrated. 

On 1/8/2024 at 10:00 AM, CMJeepster said:

Don't forget the pork roll!

I don't eat much pork roll at home these days.  I've switched to thick sliced deli spiced ham (not spam in a can), because it's just as tasty and much more reasonably priced. 

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

We gonna eat like it's 1989

The cost per Mountain House dehydrated meal is less than $5 per mouth to feed, and even eating an entire package at $9/ea is still going to be cheaper than whatever is available when SHTF.  Plus, if you have to transport 1,000 meals in a hurry, there is no easier way than dehydrated. 

I don't eat much pork roll at home these days.  I've switched to thick sliced deli spiced ham (not spam in a can), because it's just as tasty and much more reasonably priced. 

Since we discovered Boars Head Low Sodium Ham it has been our mainstay.  Absolutely delicious.

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

Since we discovered Boars Head Low Sodium Ham it has been our mainstay.  Absolutely delicious.

Hatfield ham steaks are on sale, four 8 oz. packages for $6.00, it requires a digital coupon to get the deal.  I usually have a couple on hand in the freezer.  They are great for quickie meals like carbonara sauce, spinach pie, omelettes, and anything else I can jazz up with ham like a bowtie pasta salad.  Unfortunately I'm the only ham sammich eater in my house, so I don't often buy deli ham, It goes bad too fast.  After two days it looks like it collided with the Exxon Valdize.

• Thanks 1

Keep.in mind expiration dates on canned food are really for best quality.  You can eat it after the expiration date (usually 3-4 years after manufacture date).  It's not going to kill you. May not taste as good.

When I was in Vietnam we'd get C rations from WW2.  How do I know they were from WW2? Got Lucky Strike cigarettes in a green pack.  Lucky Strike went to a white pack in 1942 to save green dye for the war effort.  These c rations were canned with 1940s technology.

Kept me fed and over 50 years later I'm alive.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Kept me fed and over 50 years later I'm alive.

And I thank God that you are alive and well my friend! I respect you and always look forward to your guidance more than you can possibly know!:)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Any doubts about canned goods?  Worried about strontium contamination?  Get a TZ-2000 food safety tester.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f9/61/b3/f961b327585c1e747665516751051a44.jpg

Did Alan Turing build that?