Mrs. Peel

Shop-Rite Can-Can Sale - (Updated, 2024) - presale ends 1/6, main sale starts 1/7

5 hours ago, ESB said:

Campbell's Condensed is 10 for $10.  

4 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

I did the weekly shop today. Came away with 40 cans of soup, 20 cans of tuna, and 24 cans of various beans. I need more storage shelf space in my basement.

Each can of soup gives you a meal.  The Campbell's requires water, the Progresso doesn't.

However don't dismiss the condensed soup. One of my favorite things in Vietnam was when my Mother would send Campbell's Minestrone.  I ate it straight from the can!!!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Each can of soup gives you a meal.  The Campbell's requires water, the Progresso doesn't.

However don't dismiss the condensed soup. One of my favorite things in Vietnam was when my Mother would send Campbell's Minestrone.  I ate it straight from the can!!!

That's a plus and a minus for condensed.  Yeah, you need water and if a SHTF situation water might be hard to come by.  But you should have a plan for water.  On the other hand condensed takes up a lot less space and is cheaper which is probably the 2 biggest factors in stock piling.  They are also lighter in case you want to throw them in a backpack.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ESB said:

That's a plus and a minus for condensed.  Yeah, you need water and if a SHTF situation water might be hard to come by.  But you should have a plan for water.  On the other hand condensed takes up a lot less space and is cheaper which is probably the 2 biggest factors in stock piling.  They are also lighter in case you want to throw them in a backpack.  

If you buy the condensed get the Chicken Noodle.  More calories than the Tomato.

Never tried the condensed soup (other than the minestrone) without water.  I'm sure it wouldn't kill me to eat a can of Chicken Noodle without water in it!!!

Damn, you guys are hardcore, lol. Maxing out on # of cans per item, huh? Now you've got me doubting whether I got enough! :o 

But, as I've mentioned in other threads, my pantry expanded in the last couple of years not only within the kitchen itself, but it flowed into 3 under-the-bed storage boxes in my spare room, and into 2 open shelves and 2 wall cabinets in my laundry room. Room-temperature storage in an older home is always in short supply - that's the main reason I'm starting to now rein myself in. I feel like my level of food stuff, cleaning supplies, paper goods, etc. is adequate enough and can still be neatly contained in those out-of-sight storage areas. Now, I just use the Can-can sale (and other sales throughout the year) to replenish... so supplies don't draw down.  For instance, last week I only got: 12 lg cans of tomatoes, 10 cans of tuna, 10 cans of Progresso soups, a dozen packets of Knorr rice & pasta sides, etc., etc... I spent less than 200 but "topped off" the pantry across all categories.    

I'm not going to say I haven't considered getting a bit more hardcore - you know, with some bulk dry goods, mylar bags, storage buckets, etc. (Damn, the 1/2 price sale on rice caught my eye, lol)...  Nonetheless, I think I'm going to stay in replenishment mode for now. I hope I don't come to regret that!  I find it difficult to determine - what's inadequate? what's ample? and what's just plain ol' OCD? In any event, glad some of you got some good hauls! I think it's still going all this week, too - in case anyone (myself included) weakens and decides to dive in again.... :)

• Like 2

I went through the dates of all the canned food in my SHTF stash and 3/4 of it expired within the past year. I checked online with the FDA and many other non-governmental (trustworthy) sites and they all agree, do not throw it away!  Canned foods may start to lose flavor but the contents are still safe to eat for years!  The only thing I found was that more acidic canned foods tend to go down hill faster. Sauerkraut gets a bit darker in color but I threw it away.  I moved all the expired stuff to another shelf for if we get desperate. Canned foods where the can is not dented or rusted will last indefinitely. Even if taste is effected, it will still be edible and nutritious.

Frozen food sealed well or vacuum sealed and stored at or below zero lasts forever!

The best by dates are not ordered by law. The manufacturers put them on there hoping you will toss them early and buy more! I was actually a good friend of a doctor who swore that canned food did not go bad. He had several cases of #10 cans of creamed chipped beef just a few years ago and was still eating it regularly....The cans expired in 1994!  He threw a fit when his daughter found them and made him throw them away!:bad:

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

@JohnnyB Just start eating the "expired" cans first and replenish as needed.

I've heard of people eating canned food from WWII and not getting ill.  I've found two year old frozen ground beef at the bottom of a chest freezer.  Made it into Polynesian meat loaf and some tacos!  Everyone survived!!  

As yous said, if cans aren't dented or rusted they should be good.  Frozen food last a LONG time as well as long as not freezer burned.  Just losses some of it's taste.

3 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I went through the dates of all the canned food in my SHTF stash and 3/4 of it expired within the past year. I checked online with the FDA and many other non-governmental (trustworthy) sites and they all agree, do not throw it away!  Canned foods may start to lose flavor but the contents are still safe to eat for years!  The only thing I found was that more acidic canned foods tend to go down hill faster. Sauerkraut gets a bit darker in color but I threw it away.  I moved all the expired stuff to another shelf for if we get desperate. Canned foods where the can is not dented or rusted will last indefinitely. Even if taste is effected, it will still be edible and nutritious.

Frozen food sealed well or vacuum sealed and stored at or below zero lasts forever!

The best by dates are not ordered by law. The manufacturers put them on there hoping you will toss them early and buy more! I was actually a good friend of a doctor who swore that canned food did not go bad. He had several cases of #10 cans of creamed chipped beef just a few years ago and was still eating it regularly....The cans expired in 1994!  He threw a fit when his daughter found them and made him throw them away!:bad:

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

@JohnnyB Just start eating the "expired" cans first and replenish as needed.

I've heard of people eating canned food from WWII and not getting ill.  I've found two year old frozen ground beef at the bottom of a chest freezer.  Made it into Polynesian meat loaf and some tacos!  Everyone survived!!  

As yous said, if cans aren't dented or rusted they should be good.  Frozen food last a LONG time as well as long as not freezer burned.  Just losses some of it's taste.

I had canned C Rations in the late 60s thar had Lucky Strikes in a green pack.  Lucky Strike stopped making the green pack in 1942.  These Rations were at least 45 years old.

I'm not dead!!!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I had canned C Rations in the late 60s thar had Lucky Strikes in a green pack.  Lucky Strike stopped making the green pack in 1942.  These Rations were at least 45 years old.

I'm not dead!!!

So they were C-rations from the 1920's? How were the Lucky Strikes? 

On 1/9/2023 at 4:09 PM, JohnnyB said:

Strange how this topic came up today.  I was doing some cleaning yesterday and came across two C-rations of "Ham and Eggs"  from 1983 when I was in basic training.  I opened one and tried it, it tasted fine.  And no, the eggs weren't green.;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2023 at 8:38 PM, dilbert1967 said:

Strange how this topic came up today.  I was doing some cleaning yesterday and came across two C-rations of "Ham and Eggs"  from 1983 when I was in basic training.  I opened one and tried it, it tasted fine.  And no, the eggs weren't green.;)

1983 was during the conversion period from Cs to MREs. Ham and eggs were one of my favorites. Moreso if they were warmed up.  Warming them up in hot water was the best way.

Your, at least, 39 year old C rats sure beats my 25 year old C rats.

C rat ham and eggs were never green.  Powdered eggs from B rats were green.  B rats were everything was canned but prepared by the mess section.  I loved powdered eggs! Haven't had them since the 70s.

I still like Spam which also came in B rats. 5lb loaves.  The Vietnam War was responsible for the Vietnamese acquiring a taste for Spam.  My brother recently spent 5 years in Saigon.  Sent me a photo from a store in Saigon. Yes, officially its Ho Chi Minh City but everyone in the south call it Saigon.   The airline baggage tag is still SGN.  Anyway, the only thing in the store with security tags were the cans of Spam!!!

18 hours ago, GRIZ said:

1983 was during the conversion period from Cs to MREs. Ham and eggs were one of my favorites. Moreso if they were warmed up.  Warming them up in hot water was the best way.

Your, at least, 39 year old C rats sure beats my 25 year old C rats.

C rat ham and eggs were never green.  Powdered eggs from B rats were green.  B rats were everything was canned but prepared by the mess section.  I loved powdered eggs! Haven't had them since the 70s.

I still like Spam which also came in B rats. 5lb loaves.  The Vietnam War was responsible for the Vietnamese acquiring a taste for Spam.  My brother recently spent 5 years in Saigon.  Sent me a photo from a store in Saigon. Yes, officially its Ho Chi Minh City but everyone in the south call it Saigon.   The airline baggage tag is still SGN.  Anyway, the only thing in the store with security tags were the cans of Spam!!!

Green eggs and ham was a joke......I thought.  It's a Dr. Seuss line from one of the children's books.  Never mind, I can hear everyone groaning from South Jersey.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the prompts, guys! I updated the thread title. And yes, @45Doll, I use the digital coupons through their app - not sure if there's another way to access, but their app is nice & easy to use. I rarely go into the brick & mortar store anymore - I order online, maximize on any sales/digital coupons & do curbside pick-up. Life is good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I rarely go into the brick & mortar store anymore - I order online, maximize on any sales/digital coupons & do curbside pick-up. Life is good.

A 21st Century Homemaker. And she's got guns!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Thanks for the prompts, guys! I updated the thread title. And yes, @45Doll, I use the digital coupons through their app - not sure if there's another way to access, but their app is nice & easy to use. I rarely go into the brick & mortar store anymore - I order online, maximize on any sales/digital coupons & do curbside pick-up. Life is good.

If you don't use the app they'll add them to your card or phone number at the courtesy counter.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, Bomber said:

Sodium bombs. :no2:

You're totally right! If I have 2 cans of canned soup a month , it's a lot, so most of the time... I don't worry about it too much. But if it was Zombie Time, and I was relying on that stash with some frequency... yeah, I'd be adding extra water, non-salty seasonings, and perhaps extra pasta, etc. I think they're far too salty to consume daily. If the zombies didn't get you, the high blood pressure would!

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

You're totally right! If I have 2 cans of canned soup a month , it's a lot, so most of the time... I don't worry about it too much. But if it was Zombie Time, and I was relying on that stash with some frequency... yeah, I'd be adding extra water, non-salty seasonings, and perhaps extra pasta, etc. I think they're far too salty to consume daily. If the zombies didn't get you, the high blood pressure would!

"Taylor Ham" has a ton of sodium, that's why I stick with pork roll. :p

• Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1