CPRPE

1911 Suggestions

I think the next addition to my small collection will be a 1911 variant. Can you all chime in on likes and dislikes? I don't want to be duped by cool advertising and pretty pictures. From what little I know, I am expecting a quality 1911 to cost around $1100 or more. I am willing to wait to save up for a nice one.

I know I'm going to get some flack for this,.....BUT I picked up a Taurus pt1911ar. So far so good...but they have a bad rap for quality. Price was good....my father in law who is a bit time collector and former range master for his PD has one and loves it. My .2 for what its worth.

Take a look at the Dan Wesson 1911's. You can get one for around your price. You can also get a nice Colt Gold Cup for that money. The Springfield Loaded is nice too. I had one in 9mm. It's a little less than $1100 (at least when I bought mine it was). You have options. Don't feel like you have to go out and buy a Les Baer or a Wilson Combat $2K (or more) gun to have a quality 1911. Of the ones I have mentioned, I think the Dan Wessons give you the most for your money.

Thanks for all the information. Keep the suggestions coming. It may be a few months til I make the plunge. Have to be careful with my wife, you understand. Is there usually a back order issue with the higher quality 1911's? I know almost everything is somewhat in demand these days but... Just wondering.

As I have said in other threads, this site is awesome and I really appreciate the sharing of information... Especially without attitude. Thanks

Does it have to be 45ACP? If not I highly recommend the S&W 1911 9MM Pro Series this gun is extremely well built and a pleasure to shoot. If you make it to one of the BA shoots we have I will let you try it. I paid $1150 for mine from Vinnie. I would put this gun up against any 1911 it is that good.

A buddy of mine just picked up a springfield armory GI model that seemed well put together and the fit and finish seemed great.

He paid $565.00....brand new....

+1

That's a good one too. I own the Para GI expert and their similar in price. Quality 1911 for under 600 bucks, not bad.

My Springfield TRP 1911 was about $1600. I think it's the finest handgun I've ever owned or even held.

My Kimber Stainless Raptor II was about $1200. It's really nice, but not as nice as the TRP.

+1 here too

My friend just bought one for about the same price and that's a great handgun. The front strap checkering leaves grooves on my hand, she ain't slipping out and it keeps the gun on target after recoil.

oldslabsides needs to comment in there thread.

Thanks Richie, It's nice to know somebody is thinking of me. As far as the 1911's go, I'm partial to the Colt's. If I were doing one today, I'd buy the best quality 1911 for a good price and Para just came out with one called the GI Expert. Not so plain Jane either. It's got a few bells and whistles. I think it's a great platform to start with. It goes for under $600.00. http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=73

Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, all do beautiful work but they are pricey. I'll be sending my stainless Colt Govt Model out for some work shortly and it will go to Novak who makes some of the best low profile sights out there.

Best advice: if you have the cash, certainly you can go and get the already build gun.

If you want to build slowly, first determine the use. Then start with the most important upgrades: Reliability, Trigger, Sights. All the builders out there have a bunch of different packages. Do your research and determine what you really need. The best part of the 1911 is that you can do it in stages.

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=73

I couldn't resist this thread.

I think saving for a Wilson or Brown is the way to go these days. The custom shops can do very nice work but since you can now order just about anything you want from Wilson Combat, I personally don't see the point in going full custom anymore. They don't have the "Wilson" service in case I need it either.

Les Baer makes darn fine pistols, I just prefer the other two shops mentioned above with regard to overall fit, finish, and aesthetics of a semi-custom 1911.

Dan Wesson Valor is an excellent gun for price point in my opinion. Very well fit, and very well finished. I want one.

The other Wessons are just as well fit but have cast frames (which some say are just as good if not stronger than forged frames-but that is another discussion for another time.)

Next on my favorite list is the Kimber Warrior. My father has recently picked one up and after putting it through the paces, I feel comfortable saying it handles well, and has the series 70 system which I am partial to.

A friend has one as well, and he loves it too!

Now enter all the other factory pistols.

Colt is my favorite of the bunch for sentimental reasons but all the big manufacturers make nice guns these days.

Everyone has heard the internet horror stories but it has been my experience that although some lemons slip out from all shops once in a while, most 1911's these days are as reliable as the sun if you do your part.

Hope this helps!

I'm looking to buy one too..... now please note that I have never shot any of these so this is all secondhand info

Ive been doing a ton of reading on some 1911 forums (not sure if i can link another forum here) and from all their feedback i narrowed my choices down to:

Dan Wesson - I especially like the RZ-45. People seem to think Dan Wesson gives you the most value for the low $1k range.

Kimber Warrior/Grand Raptor - Some people seem to think Kimber has a little bit of a quality control problem, but others love them. But this will be more in the mid $1,500 range.

Les Baer Premier 2 - This will be closer to $2k, but many people think les baer makes the most accurate 1911s for the money

Wilson and Ed Brown are the landslide choices for top quality, with les baer a close 3rd, and a lot of people like the new Nighthawk brand also....but these will all be pretty expensive

Dan Wesson - I especially like the RZ-45. People seem to think Dan Wesson gives you the most value for the low $1k range.

Kimber Warrior/Grand Raptor - Some people seem to think Kimber has a little bit of a quality control problem, but others love them. But this will be more in the mid $1,500 range.

+1 on the DW's... I have a CBOB (Commander BOBtail) from DW that's just a work of art. I'm thinking of adding the RZ-45 as well the CCO to my collection. I like my 1911's simple (no FLGR and no firing pin safeties), and for the money, Dan Wesson delivers a quality piece.

If you're going up as high as $1,500 I suggest you also look into the Springfield TRP. Roughly the same features as the Warrior but without the rail. And despite what you might read, they are hand built in the US, not Brazil.

I do have a Kimber Compact Stainless II and it's a decent gun, but I'm not a big fan of the Series II Swartz safety, so that's become my kitchen table gunsmithing piece, suitable only for range use. So far I've swapped the sights, the FLGR, and started "customizing" a few other things (filed down the thumb safety to match the profile of the Ed Brown on my CBOB, rounded the butt of the MSH, etc).

Of course, if money is no object then I agree with others on here about Les Baer, Wilson, and Ed Brown, as well as Nighthawk Custom.

I'm looking to buy one too..... now please note that I have never shot any of these so this is all secondhand info

Ive been doing a ton of reading on some 1911 forums (not sure if i can link another forum here) and from all their feedback i narrowed my choices down to:

Les Baer Premier 2 - This will be closer to $2k, but many people think les baer makes the most accurate 1911s for the money

Wilson and Ed Brown are the landslide choices for top quality, with les baer a close 3rd, and a lot of people like the new Nighthawk brand also....but these will all be pretty expensive

A Dan Wesson will be my next 1911 if I do not builld another first. I am really hot for the Valor or a 10mm Razorback.

If you would like to shoot a Warrior, let me know. If you are in The Monmouth area we can go to BA.

I went to BA last Monday to finally get some trigger time. I asked their opinion and was given Wilson Combat then S&W. Problem is the Wilson's are over 2 grand. Should I wait? I am not a big fan of waiting once I get my mind set on something but if the consenus is that it's worht it I guess I will... Also, that is the first suggestion of S&W 1911 that I got. Any more thoughts? Am I being too much of a pain in the a##?

If you're going to invest that sorta money for 1 handgun, its not being a pain by trying to find out as much as you can. All the 1911's i've shot have been slightly different in their own regards, but the baseline performance will be about the same. Each one adds their slight nuances that just make it more customized depending on what the owner wants. You don't have to research the gun so much as you have to research all the available options.

I picked up a SA stainless TRP a few months ago and have 600 or so rounds through it and love it. I was able to get a ridiculous price on mine but they usually go for $1400-$1600. The SW PD is a very nice gun for the money at $900-$1000. Wilsons are nice but $2200+ was a little out of my price range. Most important thing to do IMO is to shoot as many as you can to see what you like and then make a decision.

This Tuesday we will be at BA, I will bring a Warrior and one I built and I am sure there will be others. Try them out and see what you like. Once you have a price range it is easier to narrow it down. I hear a lot of good things with the S&W. I shot Wolfy's and it was a nice shooter.