CPRPE

1911 Suggestions

Dan Wesson is hands down the best value for the money at its price point. I picked up a PM7 last year and absolutely love it. THey have risen slightly (i think due to the parent CZ ownership instituting a company wide price hike) but they are still worth the cash. You get a gun full of custom parts and top notch craftsmanship and manufacturer support that springfield cannot barely match!

How about something like this. Colt National Match Gold Cup Series 70 vintage 1971. There are lots of these out there for 1 to 1.5 G.

A really sweet shooter as well as good looking.

Not the best photography. The gun looks much better in person.

I actually found one of those a few years ago when I first applied for my permits. Guy wanted only 700 for it. I put 250 down and was waiting for the permit. But they turned me down and I had to let the gun go. My friend went back 2 days later cause he was gonna buy it and it was sold the next day the guy said. Very upsetting.

I am also looking for a 1911 and not sure whether to go the Match Grade or the combat route in possibly a Kimber or Colt.

I am assuming that the major difference between the two series is the trigger pull ?

Ideally would like to get both types however just like to get an all-around good 1911 (possibly getting involved in IDPA in the future).

I'm getting ready for some lashings here, BUT.....to me the only major difference in all these 1911's is price.

Break out the whips :D

With the price comes fitting. Generally the more expensive the gun the more hand fitting was required to put it together. More attention to detail is given to the trigger pull and more bells an whistles. I have shot a variety of 1911's from rack grade military to Wilson Combat. They all went bang and if that is all you want a gun for then its your gun, but if you shoot a variety of them you will feel the differnce between these pistols, from the trigger pull to the tighness of the slide and barrel fit.

A Springfield Loaded is an excellent gun for the money. If all you want is a RIA than get one and enjoy it. They will all go bang when the hammer falls.

P1060600.jpg

Where ever I am if I EVER come across this gun, I will buy it in a heart beat. I saw it for the first time about 3 years ago, fell in love with it, and must have one before I am dead. :) Dan wesson for the win!

Talk about lashings... Here come the Kimber-lovers to get me.

I like Colts and have a Gold Cup Trophy that I really enjoy shooting, but think you could get a better gun for the money with Dan Wesson, STI or Springfield. I have not been impressed with the Kimbers I have shot. To me they are the Absolut vodka of the handgun world. A mediocre product hiding behind good marketing, fancy packaging and a high price tag.

Talk about lashings... Here come the Kimber-lovers to get me.

I like Colts and have a Gold Cup Trophy that I really enjoy shooting, but think you could get a better gun for the money with Dan Wesson, STI or Springfield. I have not been impressed with the Kimbers I have shot. To me they are the Absolut vodka of the handgun world. A mediocre product hiding behind good marketing, fancy packaging and a high price tag.

No lashing, you like what you like. Series 1 Kimbers were great guns, they slipped with some of the Series II. I have a Warrior that has been a top notch pistol. But I don't drink Vodka, I like Tequila.

I really like Dan Wessons as well. Shot a few Springfields and an STI, both great guns.

How about something like this. Colt National Match Gold Cup Series 70 vintage 1971. There are lots of these out there for 1 to 1.5 G.

A really sweet shooter as well as good looking.

Not the best photography. The gun looks much better in person.

:shock:

I'd hit it.

What are the differences between commander, gov and officer 1911s. Are the barrels are different?

Commander and Government models are based on the same frame but have different length slides and barrels. The Government slide is 5". The Commander slide is shorter (4" ?). The Officer model is based on a smaller frame, and has the smaller slide and barrel.

Reliability-wise, the Government and Commander have always been known as top-notch.

Well I know I am going to get major flak for this, but I absolutely love my Rock Island I picked up at Sarco a few months back. A true definite plus is that I only paid about 350 for it brand new OTD. I have put probably 4,000rds through the tube and have not had one failure to feed, eject, or extract. It has not jammed at all, and I have tried almost every kind ammo for it including semi wad cutters. Accuracy has surprised me and a few of my buddies that actually shoot competition. For the money, I have to go with the Rock Island.

Well I know I am going to get major flak for this, but I absolutely love my Rock Island I picked up at Sarco a few months back. A true definite plus is that I only paid about 350 for it brand new OTD. I have put probably 4,000rds through the tube and have not had one failure to feed, eject, or extract. It has not jammed at all, and I have tried almost every kind ammo for it including semi wad cutters. Accuracy has surprised me and a few of my buddies that actually shoot competition. For the money, I have to go with the Rock Island.

Unfortunately, Sarco has raised their prices to the point of idiocy. The formerly 379 for the GI and 449 for the Tactical are no longer at those prices though the ads show it that way in this month's Shotgun News. I was able to put hands on a used S&W 1911 for about $100 more than a Rock Island Tactical at Sarco... So, using the invention of Archytas of Tarentum incorrectly, SCREW THEM.

I got my RIA GI awhile ago at SARCO and love it. Centerfire also has RIA's.

The front sight of mine fell off, but I sent it in, and they replaced it, and the gunsmith called me asking if I wanted a free "fluff and buff".. and of course I said yes!

The only bad thing about that gun is that it eats ammo faster than a crackhead at the 5 O'clock Free Crack Giveaway.

+1 on RIA, for customer service. Arnel is their gunsmith, he is great, as is Ivan, the Armscor rep. Any old problem you have with it, they will fix, free. Mine was fixed by them, FTF issues, just had to ship to them. Now it eats ammo & sh1ts brass like a Canada goose, everything goes thru it, not a hiccup since I got it back. If I had $1500-$2K to spend I would sure go for a nicer 1911, but after Arnells fluff & buff, mine was as good as the higher priced Para GI, in feel, I thought.

CSJ, did Arnel shine up the barrel where it shows in the ejection port? That seems to be what he is doing thes days in addition to the barrel throat & feed ramp

+1 on RIA, for customer service. Arnel is their gunsmith, he is great, as is Ivan, the Armscor rep. Any old problem you have with it, they will fix, free. Mine was fixed by them, FTF issues, just had to ship to them. Now it eats ammo & sh1ts brass like a Canada goose, everything goes thru it, not a hiccup since I got it back. If I had $1500-$2K to spend I would sure go for a nicer 1911, but after Arnells fluff & buff, mine was as good as the higher priced Para GI, in feel, I thought.

CSJ, did Arnel shine up the barrel where it shows in the ejection port? That seems to be what he is doing thes days in addition to the barrel throat & feed ramp

I think I only sent him the slide because he just had to put a new front sight in. No expensive shipping that way as opposed to sending in the whole gun.

Kimber SS TLE II. At 7 yards ( 27 feet ) I can put 50 out of 50 in the black with a standard pistol target. Don't believe me? Join me at CJ anytime to prove otherwise.

And that is with my own reloaded lead 200 gr. SWC ammo. Price is appx. 1K. Take my word for it, there is no reason to spend any more.

MVC-001L-5.jpg

Kimber SS TLE II. At 7 yards ( 27 feet ) I can put 50 out of 50 in the black with a standard pistol target. Don't believe me? Join me at CJ anytime to prove otherwise.

And that is with my own reloaded lead 200 gr. SWC ammo. Price is appx. 1K. Take my word for it, there is no reason to spend any more.

MVC-001L-5.jpg

I have this gun

when we meeting I cant shoot it for shit

Also, 7 yards is 21 feet

MVC-001L-5.jpg

I have this gun

when we meeting I cant shoot it for ****

Also, 7 yards is 21 feet

Correct. I did mean 21 yards. I'll be at CJ at 8:15 on Sunday on the AP range.