CPRPE

1911 Suggestions

Buy cheap get cheap.

Mauser - no offense, but using that logic, I would never have bought a Mosin Nagant.

Anyone looking at an RIA should do their own research and be aware that they may need an internal fluff and buff to get it right. Some recommend these measures for ANY 1911 though. And some like the challenge of getting a cheaper piece and making it their own by doing some of their own Smithing.

Buy cheap get cheap.

Mauser - no offense, but using that logic, I would never have bought a Mosin Nagant.

Anyone looking at an RIA should do their own research and be aware that they may need an internal fluff and buff to get it right. Some recommend these measures for ANY 1911 though. And some like the challenge of getting a cheaper piece and making it their own by doing some of their own Smithing.

Please, you comparing apples and oranges.

Maybe we read a different review, but the one I read stated it was a fine gun and a keeper after he did some polishing and added a spring and FLGR, which is much cheaper than a Kimber. Nothing wrong with a little tweaking if you know how. or want to learn a a more affordable platform. Tweaking my $1200 Kimber is a lot different than tweaking a $400 RIA

Maybe we read a different review, but the one I read stated it was a fine gun and a keeper after he did some polishing and added a spring and FLGR, which is much cheaper than a Kimber. Nothing wrong with a little tweaking if you know how. or want to learn a a more affordable platform. Tweaking my $1200 Kimber is a lot different than tweaking a $400 RIA

Read all you want. I've seen them on the line. They are for the people who can't afford a quality 1911. That's the difference from a guy who has been shooting 1911's since the early 60's and a guy who just realized the 1911 is a superior handgun.

Again I'll say it, buy cheap get cheap.

And that is why there is a market for them. not everyone can afford 1K for a new pistol. I am happy for you that you can afford it and it is your money to spend. There is no need to talk down to someone who can't afford what you deem a quality 1911. That is pretty elitist of you. Quite a few of us were not even born in 1960, still have young children and mortgages but still want to shoot a 1911, and maybe even tinker with it. I have been shooting 1911's for over 20 yrs now and realized early on their potential, but I won't chastize someone who just realized their superiority.

To each their own

And that is why there is a market for them. not everyone can afford 1K for a new pistol. I am happy for you that you can afford it and it is your money to spend. There is no need to talk down to someone who can't afford what you deem a quality 1911. That is pretty elitist of you. Quite a few of us were not even born in 1960, still have young children and mortgages but still want to shoot a 1911, and maybe even tinker with it. I have been shooting 1911's for over 20 yrs now and realized early on their potential, but I won't chastize someone who just realized their superiority.

To each their own

So I'm an elitist now?? That's pretty funny. All I'm trying to do is save the youngin's from spending their hard earned money on a sub-standard 1911 that requires "tinkering" to make it work properly. Waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned.

IMHO I would rather see them save up for a 1911 of quality that requires no 'tinkering" to make it work correctly.

Again I'll say it, "Buy cheap, get cheap"

Just to put in my opinion I had a Kimber CDP II and the ambidextrous safety just snapped in two one day. All my BIL was doing was flipping the safety up and down. This on a 1K gun. So much for spending more for quality.

One of my buddies has a mil spec SA and not a single QC issue. Shoots reliably, accurately and comfortable. Can't speak for group size have not measured. But this gun was built as a SD weapon and fills that role. No frills and $500. So cheap is not necessarily junk. Like trout said alot of folks are on a budget and I think others don't want to spend 1K. To each his own I respect there decision it is there money not mine.

To each their own

So I'm an elitist now?? That's pretty funny. All I'm trying to do is save the youngin's from spending their hard earned money on a sub-standard 1911 that requires "tinkering" to make it work properly. Waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned.

IMHO I would rather see them save up for a 1911 of quality that requires no 'tinkering" to make it work correctly.

Again I'll say it, "Buy cheap, get cheap"

Oh please ancient wise man, forgive the ignorance of this 'youngin' but I'll buy a new RIA or a cheap older used model 1911 in the $400 - $600 range over a brand new Kimber or Dan Wessin Custom because:

1) at current time I can't afford to drop $1000+ on a gun

2) I want to learn on an entry level 1911 so if something happens its not a $1000+ loss

3) I WANT to tinker. I enjoy taking something and making it better or building it from scratch personalizing it and giving it some character that reflects upon myself.

Also here's food for thought, you don't buy a sub-9 second track car and expect it to be your daily driver too. Just because you don't like to tinker and have the money to shell out for a top quality brand name firearm doesn't mean everyone else is the same way. Honestly after learning what I can from the cheap 1911 I intend to save up money and build my own 1911... FROM SCRATCH!

Meh. I am happy with my RIA, YMMV, I discount the naysayers at this point. Buy what you like or can afford. Pix of the Filipina with her $19 mahogany (from PI, supposedly) grips from Brownell's. With her German-American sister who has a rubber fetish :twisted: Just back from CJRPC, gotta love that 24 hr range, I am severley time challenged lately. First time in 6 weeks have been able to shoot them much.

matty you wouldn't happened to have more pictures of your RIA. It almost looks like its a gunmetal (no pun intened) finish as opposed to a matte or a stainless. Kinda interesting with the red cherry grips. The dw I'm looking at getting is the stainless with cherry wood grips, beyond sexy so I'm kinda liking the look of yours.

Tim- I'm looking at right now either the pointman seven or the commander classic bobtail. That valor is a nice piece o machinery as well. They use to make the valor in the color scheme that I want, if I can ever find one used, I'll definitely go that route instead of buying new. But I think as soon as my permits show up I'm gonna end up going new. That is if my jeep doesn't suck all my money from me.

Look everyone has to start somewhere. I can completely understand that. I've had my share of inexpensive handguns over the years and when I could afford better I upgraded. Unfortunetly when I did I lost money. All I'm trying to do is keep you from making the same mistakes I made when I started this hobby. IMHO it's always better to save and spend more on quality.

I'm not saying if you buy a Kimber or and Ed Brown there isn't the possibility of having a problem but the likelyhood of such is by far lower. I had a Colt Delta Elite 10mm for one day and the slide stop sheared off with factory ammo after only two mags.

If you happy with your RIA then that's great. The ones I personally handled had failure to feed and failure to eject problems with first line quality ammo. That's enough to turn me off on them.

If that make me an elitist then so be it.

Here's a pic of a few of my 1911's.

Kimber SS TLE II, Kimber SIS, Colt Govt. model pre 70's, 80's Commander and Office's model.

MVC-002L-5.jpg

matt---

It's a parkerized finish, came that way. It looks like its two very diff colors in that pic, taken late last nite, poor lighting, but in real life its very close. The grips are also more brownish-red than rosewood red. I prefer a redder tint to the wood for this one, just personal prefernce, and wood on guns in general over anything synthetic. Good luck on your purchase, maybe everyone with with their 1911s all get together sometime for a 1911 shoot? Maybe Ft. Dix range, that'd be appropriate----

Stopped by Simon Peter today, I knew he had a nice selection of handguns...

He had a RIA 1911..... seemed nice $400

then held a S&W 1911..... definitly lighter.... $900+

...... and this is where I know this gun hobby falls in behind my other 2 main hobbies...... muscle cars :p and motorcycles...

I then held a S&W MP45, and immediatly felt much better in my hand..... $559 :D

as pretty as the 1911's are..... I just dont think I would ever spend the money on one..... at least until I have a few other things I would want in the "gun world" .....

So right now, I have my

S&W M&P 9mm..... my main workhorse

Ruger MKIII .22lr...... for plinking

next will be :

Mossberg 500..... clays and HD

then

M&P15-22..... my plinking rifle

and then finally a

M&P15 in .223 - for when the Zombies attack :lol:

then maybe I will look into a 1911 :lol: