father-of-three

New Jersey state income tax in 2021

My NJ withholding went down slightly (0.6%) but there a bunch of other NJ taxes taken out that were close to your $18.  They weren’t taken out in the few weeks in December that I checked. Though I only looked back a week or two. They might be monthly or quarterly.  Fed OASDI also hit for a sizable chunk this week. 

Got an email from our HR Dept about something like this - the NJ State Unemployment Insurance taxes are applied to the first $34,300 of earnings in the calendar year for 2020.  2021 this increases to $36,200.

That could be the taxes you're seeing.

3 hours ago, father-of-three said:

I made $400 less (net) than my last pay in 2020 and I was taxed $18 more.

Based on what's coming down the pike, with the NJ budget completely destroyed, you're going to be happy that it was only $18 NOW...  Just wait for Murphy's "Hold My Beer" moment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Got an email from our HR Dept about something like this - the NJ State Unemployment Insurance taxes are applied to the first $34,300 of earnings in the calendar year for 2020.  2021 this increases to $36,200.

That could be the taxes you're seeing.

This is specifically  the state income tax.  It made me cringe to wonder how high it would have been with my last pay's hours.

I am assuming that the unemployment tax will go up as well, given 2020.  But yes, my payroll guy at work said those other tax amounts are usually met midway through the year.

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

Based on what's coming down the pike, with the NJ budget completely destroyed, you're going to be happy that it was only $18 NOW...  Just wait for Murphy's "Hold My Beer" moment.

N.J. unemployment taxes are going up, they've already said that.

Should be interesting to see if Murphy will try to push through massive tax hikes being up for re-election. 

But obviously Dems have figured out deal with elections from now on; just cheat, problem solved..  The Rubicon has been crossed.