Jump to content
david8613

Any corvette owners here?

Recommended Posts

Any corvette owners here? Post some pics, tell me about your vette? What do you love about her, what you don't love. I'm planning on buying my first corvette this year. I am learning and researching as much as possible before I make my dream car purchase. Any advice from corvette owners would be welcomed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, david8613 said:

Any corvette owners here? Post some pics, tell me about your vette? What do you love about her, what you don't love. I'm planning on buying my first corvette this year. I am learning and researching as much as possible before I make my dream car purchase. Any advice from corvette owners would be welcomed. 

first you need to decide which series (c1,c2,c3,c4,c5,c6,c7) you want and then we can have a discussion.  each series has it's own nuances and particulars.  I personally like the 66,67,69, and 08. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. '99 six speed coupe with some light modifications. It's more car than can be safely driven on a public road. Now on a track...

I like driving a six speed, so if I was going to 'upgrade' it would be a used C6. There are a lot of good values with those in the marketplace, and it still looks like a Corvette.

To me the rear end of a C7 looks like a Camaro. And the newest one, while a good value and probably a screaming performer, is a mid-engine Euro car. IMO

The fact is I still love what I bought originally and have no reason to change it. Mrs. 45Doll and I both hold the opinion that the C5 was the first real 'road' version of the Corvette. With greatly improved creature comforts. And she would know since she drove manual C2s and Sharks in her first life, which ran at drag races. (Straight line performance is fine.)

If you like C1s-4s that's fine. But we don't think there's any contest in actual road performance. They're strictly 'nostalgia' cars, which is fine if you love them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Yep. '99 six speed coupe with some light modifications. It's more car than can be safely driven on a public road. Now on a track...

I like driving a six speed, so if I was going to 'upgrade' it would be a used C6. There are a lot of good values with those in the marketplace, and it still looks like a Corvette.

To me the rear end of a C7 looks like a Camaro. And the newest one, while a good value and probably a screaming performer, is a mid-engine Euro car. IMO

The fact is I still love what I bought originally and have no reason to change it. Mrs. 45Doll and I both hold the opinion that the C5 was the first real 'road' version of the Corvette. With greatly improved creature comforts. And she would know since she drove manual C2s and Sharks in her first life, which ran at drag races. (Straight line performance is fine.)

If you like C1s-4s that's fine. But we don't think there's any contest in actual road performance. They're strictly 'nostalgia' cars, which is fine if you love them.

there isn't a modern car that doesn't beat the older muscle cars etc. in performance.  I don't think performance is part of this discussion or at least not yet

 

that said, if you want performance without the transformer look, you want the 08 z-06 which is the car that led Porsche to redesign their 911 when it ran on their track beating their turn 911 numbers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

first you need to decide which series (c1,c2,c3,c4,c5,c6,c7) you want and then we can have a discussion.  each series has it's own nuances and particulars.  I personally like the 66,67,69, and 08. 

Why just 08 out of all the c6 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a C6 and 2 C7's. All convertible manual trans. Last one was a red GS. Loved the car, but back surgery made it hard to get in and out, so she went bye bye. Had to get something a little easier to get in and out of that still gave me a thrill.

Went from Vette to Shelby

IMG_2595 2.jpg

Gina10.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FDHog said:

Had a C6 and 2 C7's. All convertible manual trans.

C7s didn't have a manual trans, did they? I thought they went to all paddle automatics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Why just 08 out of all the c6 years?

see my earlier post

 

I've owned a few in my life, down to just the one now.  I do have an itch for a 66/67 stingray now or 69 mustang fastback. 

 

I think the c5 and c7 are butt ugly, you couldn't give me one but the 08 z-06 is simply gorgeous.

you could buy a c7 with manual shift @45Doll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

C7s didn't have a manual trans, did they? I thought they went to all paddle automatics.

The C7 was the last series with a stick. The C8 only has the DCT Automatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At first I was looking at maybe getting a c5 its cheap easy to mod, but then I'm afraid of the issues with ecb, and not being able to get parts for an older car, and having alot of  Mechanical issues of an older car. So now I'm more focused on either c6 or c7. Not sure if I should do normal sting Ray, grand sport or z06. I know for sure I want 2lt or 3lt trim. I'm also trying to figure out convertible or coupe. Do you guys daily drive your vettes or are they garage queens? I plan to daily drive just not in the snow... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daily driver, stay away from C7 GS or Z06. The rear wheels have an issue with developing cracks. They're very wide. If you're gonna do forged wheels, then go for it. My C6 was my favorite, but it got drowned in Sandy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually have considered the kit, where you put a c2/c3 body on new chassis (think c5 or c6).

David, would not worry about mechanical issues or inability to get parts.  That is simply not the case with any year to be honest.  Whether it's an older c1-4 or the new ones.  Parts acquisition is simply not an issue

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I actually have considered the kit, where you put a c2/c3 body on new chassis (think c5 or c6).

David, would not worry about mechanical issues or inability to get parts.  That is simply not the case with any year to be honest.  Whether it's an older c1-4 or the new ones.  Parts acquisition is simply not an issue

Your probably right, I read too much into internet stuff. That's why I like asking you guys this type of stuff. If I was to get a nice c5 can I register and insure as a collector or classic car? Someone mentioned to me about doing this, cheaper on the budget? Fdhog so sorry for your corvette loss, do you miss any? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, david8613 said:

Your probably right, I read too much into internet stuff. That's why I like asking you guys this type of stuff. If I was to get a nice c5 can I register and insure as a collector or classic car? Someone mentioned to me about doing this, cheaper on the budget? Fdhog so sorry for your corvette loss, do you miss any? 

checkout the corvette forums, lots of good info there as gun boards are not a good source of accurate info on cars, or guns for that matter.  lol

collectors insurance where to begin.  This depends on who you use as some carriers have different mileage requirements per annum however, all offer full rate at 20+ years.  I've been at this for a long time and doing this 'on a budget' or looking to save some pennies is a recipe for disaster.  Pick a car you like, find a good one, don't worry about price as much as quality, condition, and reliability if she's to be a driver.  If you are looking for a hot rod or to do engine mods then your approach is vastly different

 

what exactly do you want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be my daily driver that I can also have fun driving to nice places on the weekends. Im not a hot rodder or anything like that, but I am pretty handy if I need to. I would like to shoot for a nice c6 or c7 3lt I would like all options in her. Z51 package would be a nice plus. I'm 50 years old, might retire in 5 years, no kids in the house anymore. I plan on staying with this car for a long while. I'm gonna join some corvette forums and are there any forums that you can recommend? I'm not in a rush for purchasing, I plan to make this purchase in September. I don't want to purchase during summer rush plus my lease goes back in that time period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...