sage613

want to get into muzzleloader

I am interested in getting into muzzleloaders...mostly handguns..I apologize if this is answered elsewhere but where can I shoot?  I live in Monmouth county area

I am not a particularly wealthy person but hoping to find a place not too expensive?

with thanks in advance

On 1/13/2021 at 12:00 PM, sage613 said:

I am interested in getting into muzzleloaders...mostly handguns..I apologize if this is answered elsewhere but where can I shoot?  I live in Monmouth county area

I am not a particularly wealthy person but hoping to find a place not too expensive?

with thanks in advance

@Krdshrk tagged me to help you @sage613 

Muzzleloading hand guns come as flintlock & percussion.  Flints can be smoothbore or rifled.  Percussion is generally always rifled.  I own Cap & Ball revolvers that work with #10 percussion caps.  I've hunted 300 pound hogs with my Uberti 1847 Colt Walker replica cap & ball w/ a .456 conical weighing 225 grains.

Outdoor ranges are required to fire muzzleloaders since the HEPPA filters at indoor ranges get clogged FAST with black powder smoke.  And they cost MONEY!  Two private clubs offer outdoor ranges near Monmouth Co.:

1.  Monmouth County Rifle & Pistol Club located at the corner of Monmouth Executive Airport

2.  Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club located off Rt. 516 in Old Bridge

I've been a member at Monmouth twice, and I've shot black powder matches at both clubs.  Both clubs hold regular black powder league matches where mentoring can take place, and non-members can attend these league matches and be mentored.  This of course has to be planned in advance, you don't just show up unannounced and expect folks to provide you free rides on their equipment at a moment's notice :) 

Where are you in Monmouth County?  A third range, Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol Club, is located in the pines in Jackson, NJ.  They have a $600 buy-in (initiation fee), but their dues are affordable.

Monmouth Co. R&P usually has a waiting list.  Old bridge does not, and their initiation fee is half of Central Jersey's.

Hope I've been helpful!  Here's a little smoke for ya, lol!  PM me so we can go shooting & start your mentoring :) 

Image may contain: 1 person, hat and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, outdoor and nature

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Image may contain: David Rosenthal, smiling

• Like 1