Displaced Texan

Stock picks..anyone do some small time investing?

While I let my Edward Jones guy do all my REAL investing, I play around with a few small stocks on my own. A little ‘bourbon money’, so to speak. I thought we might get a little group discussion, and have a little fun playing with some minor (or major, if you choose!) stock picks.

I started this around May of last year with a $1500 pot of house money. 
I’ve turned that into $10K with a few decent buys, and trades. 

As with every investment, do your due diligence!

Let’s have some fun, shall we? 

Currently, I’m in:

MVIS (Microvision) A company that makes 3D laser scanning, and LIDAR,. Military, automotive, and many other Tech applications. I bought in at $.29, and it’s currently $6 or so. 

ZOM (Zomedica) They make veterinary testing products. Bought in at $.25, and it’s just shy of $1

POWW (Ammo) sales and manufacture of ammunition products. Bought in at $5, and it’s around $7.60 now. 

F (Ford). Well...they need no explanation. They’ve been fairly stagnant lately. 

AAL (American Airlines). Again, no explanation needed. With the COVID panic, they aren’t anywhere near the level pre-covid, , but I think they will come back once all this crap settles down. 
Bought in at $9, it’s around $15.50. 

What are you guys doing? 

Playing in a couple of areas. My best have been in pet stocks:

FRPT (Freshpet)   bought at $36   now at $141 (+293%)

ZTS (Zoetis) bought at $90,   now at $162  (+80%)

TSCO (Tractor Supply) bought at $87,  now  $153 (+76%)

Also playing with some Biotechs recently:

INMB (Immune Bio) bought at $6,  now $24  (+299%)

VTRS (Viatris) bought at $15,  now $18 (+18%)

a new one the last few weeks VTVT (VTV Therapeutics)  bought at $1.99, now at $2.26 (+14%)... hoping this one takes off like INMB.

and some of my defense stocks are holding up well:

PPA (Aerospace) bought at $44, now at $68 (+53%)

XAR (TR Aerospace) bought at $69, now at $116 (+68%)

I wish I had a crystal ball to see the Covid panic and lockdowns coming, where tons of people bought dogs and cats, the pet stock companies have really done well, I wish I originally bought more, as I knew they would be good.

all I will say is that anyone NOT investing their serious money with Edward Jones is a fool.  Edward Jones is the best company on the planet for mom and pop investors.  EDJ cares about doing things right, in ways no one really can comprehend.  They have all our money except a RH account I play with.

I know EDJ intimately, would be a GP years ago if I stayed with them.  great company, glad someone here uses them

that said, I have been in energy companies from t+1 of the market meltdown.  I own some tech, ETH, etc but heavy in oil and gas

5 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

My ‘guy’ at Edward Jones has been doing my entire family’s investing for 30+ years. He’s a great guy, we know him well, and consider him part of the family. 

outstanding!

Edward Jones has a great story about Texas.  Have him tell it you next time you are in

• Like 1

I play around also a bit.

made a nice pile on novavax, flu vaccine. 
doubled my investment so far with, spirit airline.

trippled my investment with virgin galactic. 

buy and sell fastenal when it drops to the 20’s, always good for a few bucks. 
picked up some apple stock when it split. 

Great picks, y’all!! I’ll look into some of these. 

I expect MVIS to make a run upwards in March/April. 

ZOM has a new diagnostic product hitting the market late March. I expect them will do well with that. 

POWW...well, they are an ammunition company...I expect that to do well over the next year. 

I’m sniffing around EMAN, thinking about dumping my low performers and jumping into that one. They make OLEDs related to military hardware (and are a client of mine). 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

ZOM has a new diagnostic product hitting the market late March. I expect them will do well with that. 

After I posted earlier, wifey came in and told me to look at ZOM for that same reason. She knows about my love for pet related stocks. She noses around in the medical news and stocks area, with her medical and clinical research background, and points me towards possibilities.

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Any good future picks? Would love a thread for that.

If we had a crystal ball, we'd all be rich.

But, pick any Biden policy, and ride that wave. Green energy, free healthcare, free college, illegal alien services, etc.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I think green energy is going to go up. As is natural gas. 
Pharma. Pets (as Sniper has pointed out). 
There is a video game company (RBLX I think) that’s about to open public trading I am also having a look at. 

• Thanks 1

Additionally, if you can find a publicly traded company that recycles wind turbine blades....I’d probably think seriously about getting into it. This is a good article outlying the problem and some potential solutions: https://grist.org/energy/todays-wind-turbine-blades-could-become-tomorrows-bridges/

These used wind turbine blades are becoming a big problem. There are thousands of them sitting out in West Texas, and piling up. Very few people recycle them, and no one I see offhand that’s publicly traded. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

If we had a crystal ball, we'd all be rich.

But, pick any Biden policy, and ride that wave. Green energy, free healthcare, free college, illegal alien services, etc.

if you are not buying oil, you are a fool.  Anything Biden does will only make it go higher.  There is something called reality and libs don't understand it.

buy xom, 

and and buy ETH, think of it as a piggy bank.  Buy it and forget it as it's tech is akin to the internet in the mid 90s

40 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

if you are not buying oil, you are a fool.  Anything Biden does will only make it go higher.  There is something called reality and libs don't understand it.

buy xom, 

and and buy ETH, think of it as a piggy bank.  Buy it and forget it as it's tech is akin to the internet in the mid 90s

I agree with this. And natural gas stocks too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Is this a stock? Or a cryptocurrency? What platform do you use to invest in this

it's in the crypto space but not a true crypto.  it's blockchain technology has utility and real value, not a measure of a persons' view of wealth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

yes, this is it.  buy it and forget it

Will history repeat itself? That's a hell of a correction from the previous high in the beginning of 2018. It almost looks like the pattern is repeating?

eth.jpg