Displaced Texan

Stock picks..anyone do some small time investing?

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

What are some good books on reading charts? Ive been doing well by googling and researching companies as opposed to trends however i understand the importantsce of said trends. 

'old practice' but in today's highly manipulated markets, they don't mean nearly as much.

I'm not much of a speculator, so most of my holding are municipal bonds and precious metals to help offset the risk of inflation to bonds.  But I recently put some money into shares of Mc Donald's when it was getting hammered.  While I rarely eat there, I admire their business model of giving people the kind of food they want at a price they are wiling to pay, with systems in place that allow them to take people off the street and have them consistently produce their products.  The shares have come back nicely, and I'm sure will do even better after the restrictions on dining are eventually lifted.  Plus, I believe it pays a decent dividend.

Also, I dumped a few bucks into an ETF that holds cryptocurrencies a few months ago, and my timing was fortuitous, as it has nearly tripled in that time.  Wish I had put a lot more into it, but isn't that always the way?

I'll LTC to the ETH I was talking about earlier

all of them are trading in tandem with BTC but ETH has the ability and probably will at some point, break away and trade on it's own.  the weekends push up the price and 20%-30% swings are typical in crypto so not for the faint of heart.

I like these two, these two I have money in

5 minutes ago, Family1st said:

Crypto is the way to go!!  I'm loving ADA / Cardano.  still undervalued at .30  You can earn 5% interest.  Compounding if you leave it and forget it.    ARKW I'm gonna check that out.  

Crypto scares me a bit as the potential for loss is too much for me. Investing in stocks that follow crypt feels slightly safer. Maybe I just need some lessons on investing in them though.

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Crypto scares me a bit as the potential for loss is too much for me. Investing in stocks that follow crypt feels slightly safer. Maybe I just need some lessons on investing in them though.

I agree with you. At least, when you buy a stock, you're buying a piece of a company..

With crypto, you're buying air...  what ever someone wants to value that air at...

52 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

And how secure are online wallets? With crypto is it possible to lose more than your initial investment? 

well with any investment you can lose more than your initial investment so that is a moot point.

I don't use online wallets but paypal lets you store there and they let you buy coins as well

6 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

well with any investment you can lose more than your initial investment so that is a moot point.

I don't use online wallets but paypal lets you store there and they let you buy coins as well

Im referring to stocks. As long as your not playing with margin you'll never lose more than your initial investment. 

11 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Im referring to stocks. As long as your not playing with margin you'll never lose more than your initial investment. 

How so?  Anything you put into the market you could lose

45 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Correct. 

No...nothing is guaranteed, not even mmkt funds backed by tbills if rates go negative.  There are zero guarantees you will not lise your initial investment.  Where are you guys getting this?

• Like 1

Just now, RUTGERS95 said:

How so?  Anything you put into the market you could lose

Exactly, that's why i said my initial investment. My understanding is once you get into cryto you can actually lose more than you invest on certain platforms. 

12 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Exactly, that's why i said my initial investment. My understanding is once you get into cryto you can actually lose more than you invest on certain platforms. 

That makes no sense. For something lauded as a "currency" how can you lose more than your investment? If I buy a bitcoin, how can its value drop below 0? Do certain platforms allow options on the purchase and sale of crypto? 

31 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

That makes no sense. For something lauded as a "currency" how can you lose more than your investment? If I buy a bitcoin, how can its value drop below 0? Do certain platforms allow options on the purchase and sale of crypto? 

I'm going to dig a little deeper. My boss was explaining this to me but maybe i misinterpreted his words. Let me do a bit of research and iron this out! 

So my understanding is its almost necessary to use leverage on platforms like forex (because it moves by such small amounts). So ultimately you can't lose more than your initial investment unless you use leverage.  

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

So my understanding is its almost necessary to use leverage on platforms like forex (because it moves by such small amounts). So ultimately you can't lose more than your initial investment unless you use leverage.  

Wouldn't that be the same as using margin to buy stocks? Otherwise, what Jack said, under normal investing in anything, you can only lose your initial investment.

Or, in the case of what happened back in 2018, where the kids jumped into Bitcoin at 16K, and put it on their credit card, only to see it crash down to 4K, so they lost their initial investment money, and were paying 24% interest rates to pay back their credit card balance. A double lose lose.

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Wouldn't that be the same as using margin to buy stocks? Otherwise, what Jack said, under normal investing in anything, you can only lose your initial investment.

Or, in the case of what happened back in 2018, where the kids jumped into Bitcoin at 16K, and put it on their credit card, only to see it crash down to 4K, so they lost their initial investment money, and were paying 24% interest rates to pay back their credit card balance. A double lose lose.

Yes so ultimately i misinterpreted how it was told to me. 

21 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Anyone who does that is an idiot. 

• Agree 2

AAXN is the former “Taser” stock.  They actually make more money in body cameras now.    If you think more civil unrest is in the cards and more less than lethal means needs to be deployed i think it’s revenues are unlimited in the future.  LAPD just renewed their contract and the DEA just signed exclusive deal.