Displaced Texan

Stock picks..anyone do some small time investing?

2 hours ago, Barms said:

AAXN is the former “Taser” stock.  They actually make more money in body cameras now.    If you think more civil unrest is in the cards and more less than lethal means needs to be deployed i think it’s revenues are unlimited in the future.  LAPD just renewed their contract and the DEA just signed exclusive deal.   

Interesting... Sure could be a bigger demand for their products in the future. That stock has doubled in the last year, wonder how much room it has left to run?

When every-single-cop-on-the-planet is required by law to wear a camera.   And when every-single-cop-on-the-planet is required by law to discharge a taser before  their firearm.   There you go.  I just told you how much more room to run it has.  

19 minutes ago, Barms said:

When every-single-cop-on-the-planet is required by law to wear a camera.   And when every-single-cop-on-the-planet is required by law to discharge a taser before  their firearm.   There you go.  I just told you how much more room to run it has.  

How will that work out with Biden's and the Dems plan to "Defund the Police"?

Some people go through life always thinking out the downsides of things.  “What about this?   What if that happens”.  I’ve found out that those people never hit home runs.  Those people will never get a get a chance to have something life changing happen to them.   Those are the people who say “it crashed before.  It probably will again.”    These people are just happy being “content” I guess.   I know  a ton of people like that.  They just think “but what happens if it goes down?”     Those same people will look at a Tesla or a bitcoin going up 20x or Amazon or Apple or whatever and be like “man you got lucky” or something.    But in reality those people aren’t lucky.  They just don’t go through life saying “but what if....(fill in bad thing that can happen here).

Stop having your first thought be “what if this goes down” and have your first thought be “what is there left for this to accumulate?”

56 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Smart investors look at BOTH sides of the trade.

You have to represent both sides accurately. Defunding the police has zero to do with increased calls for accountability and mandatory recording systems. Oversimplified statements like the one made above does not make one a smart investor. 

Everyone knows democrats would fire 10 cops to pay for body cameras if they could. 

55 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Defunding the police has zero to do with increased calls for accountability and mandatory recording systems. Oversimplified statements like the one made above does not make one a smart investor. 

Really? If the police budgets are cut back, please tell me how the departments pay for all the additional costs of the cameras?

Is Biden going to pay for them?

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

Really? If the police budgets are cut back, please tell me how the departments pay for all the additional costs of the cameras?

Is Biden going to pay for them?

Nearly every department is recieveing some kind of money provided by state and yeah maybe federal grants if Biden gets his way. Very few have spent their dedicated budgets on them. 

Did you not know this?

Murphy signed away 58 million for NJ cops... 

This will be part of their police reform package i expect will come up sooner than later. 

On 1/18/2021 at 6:03 PM, gleninjersey said:

I've been eyeing AMC.  It's been absolutely hammered and tettering on running out of cash.  But with vaccine roll out and a little time it could be a nice turn around play.  Or it could go belly up and equity investors get wiped out.

Should have bought last week.  Up 31% yesterday.  Up to $3.06 now & indicating opening up .25 to .30 at the open today.

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I jumped into AVGR yesterday morning when the market opened. In two days, it's up 38%.

I get the buy low mantra, but geez that thing cratered in 5 years.  high of $6484 in Jan 2016, down to $2.29 today.  small company and no dividend.  what's the attraction?  are you planning to just churn and burn a few cents profit and get out?

2 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

I get the buy low mantra, but geez that thing cratered in 5 years.  high of $6484 in Jan 2016, down to $2.29 today.  small company and no dividend.  what's the attraction?  are you planning to just churn and burn a few cents profit and get out?

You need to "see" the future.

I'll take a +50% profit and move on... I'm not greedy..

15 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

and I see a dead horse that will yield a few cents (decent %) on the dollar as profit. 

That's all I'm doing it for. These are short term plays, not long term investments. I think I'm in a different situation then many of you, since I'm retired. This is just playtime to make a few bucks. If I throw in $10K, and then jump back out making +30% or so, it allows me to go buy lunch..

If you were thinking about getting into Crypto now is a great time.  BTC and ETH are going to go nuts over the next couple months. 

Check out Bitboy Crypto, Tyler S, Crypto Crow on youtube.    

You can earn free crypto on coinbase.check out the rewards section.  Earn money in crypto watching short videos. 

Etoro has a virtual account so you can make trades before putting any money in.  For ease of use these two are great. 

The staking alone is worth it. Staking is like earning interest.  But unlike the .01 % the banks are giving..if your lucky. lol   Average 5%  some coins are up to 8%.  .On etoro u don't have to do nothing,  coinbase u have to opt in under rewards section. 

15 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Where may the ceiling be? Seems the good news is a few days old now..  Think it may have peaked?

We think it still has room to run. Wifey is the medical expert and follows this stuff, as Avinger expands their Tigereye system, it should gain more interest. Reason, cardiovascular disease is the number one killer in the USA every year (650,000), and kills millions worldwide, kills way more than Covid. This technology could be revolutionary compared to current procedures.

23 minutes ago, Family1st said:

BTC and ETH are going to go nuts over the next couple months. 

I'm not so sure about that. I seems like BTC is setting up to follow the same trend line that it did in the start of 2018. It's been heading down since the first week of January, That's the same thing that happened in 2018, after everyone jumped into the pool in Dec. 2017.

17 hours ago, Sniper said:

That's all I'm doing it for. These are short term plays, not long term investments. I think I'm in a different situation then many of you, since I'm retired. This is just playtime to make a few bucks. If I throw in $10K, and then jump back out making +30% or so, it allows me to go buy lunch..

I need to get better at thinking in the short term with this stuff.  No time like the present to live and learn.

13 hours ago, Family1st said:

If you were thinking about getting into Crypto now is a great time.  BTC and ETH are going to go nuts over the next couple months. 

Check out Bitboy Crypto, Tyler S, Crypto Crow on youtube.    

You can earn free crypto on coinbase.check out the rewards section.  Earn money in crypto watching short videos. 

Etoro has a virtual account so you can make trades before putting any money in.  For ease of use these two are great. 

The staking alone is worth it. Staking is like earning interest.  But unlike the .01 % the banks are giving..if your lucky. lol   Average 5%  some coins are up to 8%.  .On etoro u don't have to do nothing,  coinbase u have to opt in under rewards section. 

agree with this.  pullbacks and consolation are healthy but the future is bright. 

19 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

I need to get better at thinking in the short term with this stuff.  No time like the present to live and learn.

a good safe short-term play is exxon.  will be 60ish by June

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

If you don't have a lot of time to invest, look for no-load mutual funds or ETFs with high ratings and the lowest annual fees in the sectors in which you want to invest.  Or get an index fund covering the whole of the NASDAQ, Dow, or S&P 500.  Those will have the lowest fees of all.

Yes, the potential upside for individual stocks can be a lot higher, but the potential downside can be a lot lower.  If you have time to do the research, can be smart about when to get in and when to get out, and pay attention to what is happening with your investments, by all means build a portfolio of individual stocks.   If you don't have the time or inclination, manage the risk with mutual funds or ETFs.

• Like 1

Hey sniper.  At what price of bitcoin up will you stop talking about the “crashes”  that bitcoin holders don’t give a rats ass about. You do know there has not been an asset ever before thar goes up the way bitcoin has.   You know what we do when it “crashes”.  We buy ficking more and it puts in another 5x from there.   So at like what price in the future will you give up?  $50k?   $75k?  $100k?    We don’t give two fucks about the crashes when we believe the next turn is all time high again. 
So please. Just tell me the number?  2x from here?   When I’m 10x up will you still tell us to watch out for the crashes?  When I’m 20x up?   I mean just stop it.  Just call it a ficking home run for people that own it and move on.   Jesus I can’t take it anymore when there is so much winning and someone is like “ oh but watch out for the crash”.   Just be happy for the winners for crying out loud.   It’s almost like you HATE that there is so much winning in bitcoin.   It’s crazy   Why do you hate it so much?

Obviously me and Rutgers follow the same guys.   Hey sniper:  If I you create a Coinbase account I will send you 1/2 a bitcoin just so I can stop you from warning us about the crashes.   If you own some will you just stop it?   I would send you a whole one but a half a one is up 100% in a month.   Just stop man.   You can dunk on us all you want when we are defeated but as of now it’s SO MUCH WINNING  so just stop.  It’s like I know a buddy of mine I’ve been telling him to buy for like 5 years and he keeps telling me about money laundering and terrorist financing and I’m like it’s 50x in your face and your still preaching to me   Just give up. I don’t know why it bothers me so much but you just can’t help yourself to comment negative about the coin   Look at the scoreboard man.   I’m not telling you to buy.  If it’s not your gig that’s fine but stop it with the “oh oh looks like it’s gonna crash” 

1 hour ago, Barms said:

I’m not telling you to buy.  If it’s not your gig that’s fine but stop it with the “oh oh looks like it’s gonna crash” 

Yeah, like it never happened before with Bitcoin, right? A famous quote, "Those who fail to learn Learn From History, are Doomed to Repeat it".

For every person who made money on Bitcoin, there's probably 10 that got screwed.

Not everyone gets sucked into get rich quick schemes. Good luck with your journey on becoming a millionaire with Bitcoin.

I chose to become a millionaire the old fashion way, by working hard, saving from every paycheck and investing wisely. I won't lose what I have, depending on which way the wind blows. And it wasn't on get rich quick schemes.

Here's some educational reading for you:

https://medium.com/finance-republic/i-just-lost-a-bunch-of-money-on-bitcoin-heres-how-i-m-dealing-134ff802115e

https://www.investing.com/analysis/why-most-people-will-lose-money-in-bitcoin-200269300

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/bitcoin-latest-updates-who-lost-money-price-investment-crytocurrency-exchange-a8124406.html

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jan/11/experience-i-lost-1m-on-bitcoin

https://www.quora.com/How-many-admit-they-lost-money-with-Bitcoin?share=1

https://medium.com/@whatbitcoindid/5-easy-ways-to-lose-money-trading-bitcoin-and-crypto-a417bfd67340

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/11/investing/bitcoin-crash-victim/index.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cbovaird/2020/03/12/bitcoin-lost-roughly-50-of-its-value-in-a-day/?sh=5a8257f3056a

https://www.creditkarma.com/insights/i/investors-lost-1-7-billion-bitcoin-but-dont-plan-to-deduct

There's tons more, just ask if you want any additional...

1 hour ago, Barms said:

I don’t know why it bothers me so much but you just can’t help yourself to comment negative about the coin  

The Bitcoin groupies remind me of the Qanon groupies. No level of facts or logic will change their minds. Go ask a "Q" follower how well that worked out this past year.

1 hour ago, Barms said:

I’m not telling you to buy.

Really?.. you've been pumping it up like crazy.

1 hour ago, Barms said:

Just stop man.   You can dunk on us all you want when we are defeated but as of now it’s SO MUCH WINNING  so just stop.

Is that what people called it in the Fall/Winter of 2018... Winning? Or was that the chant in Dec. 2017?