Displaced Texan

Stock picks..anyone do some small time investing?

Just now, NJSigfan said:

anyone dabble in new stocks these past few weeks?  i picked up more dividend paying stocks like MO and SPG and closed out positions on some dogs like pinterest and HUT 8 mining.  Now debating dumping my POWW stock since its been a dog for me.  any strategy to keeping it long term?  it doesn't pay a dividend, its 10 months off its high of $10.XX+ and has traded narrow between $4.5 and $5.5 for most of 2022 and analysts are now bearish on it.  

let me know what you guys think.

I've been buying lots of blue chips that dropped. I put a bunch in tesla when it was in the 800s, bought some amd and Nvidia as well.

Disney is a good long term buy and so is roku and meta imo.

i hear ya on picking up blue chips and companies like Nvidia.  my boss loves that stock.  He's recently dumped most of bonus and stock incentive money in it.  For a while he was down like 30% on it, but its rebounded nicely for him and he continues to buy more.

ideally I'm looking to get to a nice level of dividend income to supplement my retirement money.  So for now i'm more focused on those stocks but hearing about some of these upcoming splits like tesla have me thinking about getting into that game.

2 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Lol same except for me it's been since biden became president

Yeah.  I started dabbling in stocks in January 2021.  And my first firearm purchase was November 2008.  My choices were not based on Presidents, but it sure looks like it.

14 hours ago, father-of-three said:

I am patiently waiting for that Ammo Inc "takeoff," but their stock is just dipping lower.

Yeah I don’t know what’s going on with them. I’m holding it for now.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 2:30 PM, Barms said:

I lost my cool couple weeks ago ranting to Sniper about coin.  Drank too much wine and I’m ashamed of myself and gave  myself a timeout.  I want to apologize and don’t know why I got so fired up.  I don’t even want to go back and read it, seriously.     I’m not commenting about coin anymore.   Congrats to all the longs in BTC and ETH.    Buy the dips.  $100k next.    Stay humble.  
Peace and Love....   peace and love....

:lol:

Don't drink and post.

59 minutes ago, Family1st said:

NJ Sig...What about Amazon and the up coming 20 to 1 stock split on June 3rd..

A single share will equal 20 shares.   

If you like the stock and believe in it's growth potential and it's fundamentals then buy it.  It's definetly WAY down from a month ago.  Could it go further down?  Yep.  IMHO stocks still have a way to go down.  How much more?  Who knows!  But I don't see a lot of "good news" out there right now.

Stock splits don't effect the value. Just the number of shares you hold.

Let's say one share of AMZN is worth $2,000 (which is amost where it is at right now).  You buy one share and it's worth $2k.  

If the price doesn't move at all between now until after the split occurs then after the split you'll have 20 shares worth $2k or $100 a share.

The idea behind stock splits is generally to broaden the buyer pool and to create more liquidity (more buyers and sellers participating).  People may not want to buy one share at $2k but 20 shares at $2k is a much better deal!!  The value of the company does not increase.  Just the number of shares outstanding.  It's mostly a psychological thing.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Market continuing downward slide. 

Down 800 on Friday and currently down 675.

Crypto getting CRUSHED today as well.

Yes/ouch.

I didnt think crypto would would dip so far so fast.

I saw bombardier did a change in their stock.  Im not sure of the ratio change.  I bought some last year after reading Displaced Texas's recommendation/post about it, and it's one of my better performers....sofar.

7 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

Yes/ouch.

I didnt think crypto would would dip so far so fast.

I saw bombardier did a change in their stock.  Im not sure of the ratio change.  I bought some last year after reading Displaced Texas's recommendation/post about it, and it's one of my better performers....sofar.

Look at how fast crypto went up. It can go down even faster. 

Bitcoin was about $500 before the big money got into it to pump it up and start taking a cut in converting it to cash and cash into crypto. 

Then the real big money realized they can manipulate it like the metals market and pfof. Pump it and front run the pump, dump it and front run the slide, and take a percent on every conversion. But they knew the piper was going to have to be paid overall, so they have been trying to cash out of things at peak so they can add to the inevitable carnage, get it over with, and buy back in at record lows.  Without them playing games, it was $500. If retail holds it won’t be that low, but it will be a small fraction of the peak. 

At the close:

Dow           -876    -2.79%

S&P            -151    -3.88%

NASDAQ    -531    -4.68%

Meanwhile, how's those sanctions on Russia working out for the U.S.?

How Are Those Russia Sanctions Workin' Out for Ya, Joe? – PJ Media

LOL Ruble hits a five year high against the dollar. And Putin sells oil and gas at record prices. That a boy Brandon!

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

So on July 28, when they officially announce we're in a recession, then what?  Dow 400? S&P 39?  Cheese line announcements and bags of Soylent Green being handed out?

Thanks for the reminder of the 2 quarters of negative GDP needed to make our ailing economy an official recession, although I'm sure that will get spun too.

I heard talk on wfmz69 that Governor Wolf want to hand out $2000 stimulus checks to all Pennsylvania residents making less than 80 thousand a year.

6 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

I heard talk on wfmz69 that Governor Wolf want to hand out $2000 stimulus checks to all Pennsylvania residents making less than 80 thousand a year.

Yes. That was the word last Friday out by Hazleton on the local talk station in Wilkes-Barre.

Buy some Democrat votes anyone?

16 hours ago, father-of-three said:

16 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Buy some Democrat votes anyone?

"They" didn't use all their Biden Bucs because "they" were waiting to send out checks right before the election.

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

My personal gut feeling is the Dow will bottom out around 27,000. 

Predictions? 

Typical bear markets hit 30% off highs.  That last peak was 36,799.65

That gets us to around 25,700.

That occurs when you have a sane president that isn't trying to do a great reset, to re-order the world to some insane ESG horseshit.

The worlds greatest wealth transfer in history is happening right now.   It's a private club, and you ain't in it.

Therefore, I predict a DOW of 18400.   A 50% haircut is what us plebes will need to deal with.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:59 PM, raz-0 said:

Look at how fast crypto went up. It can go down even faster. 

Bitcoin was about $500 before the big money got into it to pump it up and start taking a cut in converting it to cash and cash into crypto. 

Then the real big money realized they can manipulate it like the metals market and pfof. Pump it and front run the pump, dump it and front run the slide, and take a percent on every conversion. But they knew the piper was going to have to be paid overall, so they have been trying to cash out of things at peak so they can add to the inevitable carnage, get it over with, and buy back in at record lows.  Without them playing games, it was $500. If retail holds it won’t be that low, but it will be a small fraction of the peak. 

Any predictions on where between $500 and $2000 it will drop to?