Xtors

NICS EO in the works on 1/20?

Not trying to start up the rumor mill here. A friend of mine picked up a lower recently and the FFL said there were better than even odds that an EO would come down on 1/20 shutting down NICS. In a sane world this would never survive court challenge but last I checked we were no longer living in a sane world. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has heard such talk.

13 minutes ago, Xtors said:

Not trying to start up the rumor mill here. A friend of mine picked up a lower recently and the FFL said there were better than even odds that an EO would come down on 1/20 shutting down NICS. In a sane world this would never survive court challenge but last I checked we were no longer living in a sane world. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has heard such talk.

If they decide to do that, that would be one of the worst things they could do.  Almost inviting bad things to happen.

27 minutes ago, Xtors said:

In a sane world this would never survive court challenge but last I checked we were no longer living in a sane world.

I had to quote that.... someone want to remind me how well Trump's three SCOTUS picks have helped us?

10 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Of NICS goes down, don't all requesr automatically get approved if there is no response in so many days?

It was supposed to be approved in 3 days, but that went out the window.

15 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Of NICS goes down, don't all requesr automatically get approved if there is no response in so many days?

Once a NTN is issued, the FBI has 3 business days to approve. The dealer needs that number before the clock starts ticking.

I recently transferred a firearm to someone after 5 total days, and NICS denied him on day 8. Oops. LOL. They should have been quicker.

• Informative 1

NJ NICS is a point of contact for a Federal System, and the NJSP have acknowledged that the Federal "3day" rule does apply.

They don't publicly state it, but we have it confirmed, that they (NJSP) defer to the fed ruling - 3 business days (not including the day of submittal) if the NICs is not approved or denied, a Dealer can (if he so chooses) make the transfer w/o an approval.

Now, getting a dealer to do it is another story. We have turned over guns to very well known and trusted clients after the fouth day but it is rare and only for very specific curcumstances (like a permit is going to expire)...........

9 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

NJ NICS is a point of contact for a Federal System, and the NJSP have acknowledged that the Federal "3day" rule does apply.

They don't publicly state it, but we have it confirmed, that they (NJSP) defer to the fed ruling - 3 business days (not including the day of submittal) if the NICs is not approved or denied, a Dealer can (if he so chooses) make the transfer w/o an approval.

Now, getting a dealer to do it is another story. We have turned over guns to very well known and trusted clients after the fouth day but it is rare and only for very specific curcumstances (like a permit is going to expire)...........

Maybe if more dealers started doing this, they would get off their ass and move faster.

• Like 1

My last NIC check was last Saturday and took an hour and forty-five minutes to get approved. I left my FFL and came back when it passed. In FL they give you a link to a website to check the status on the pending transfer approval. You check it yourself.

In the free states this is what happens when delays become too long.

https://patch.com/new-hampshire/concord-nh/new-hampshire-overhauls-gun-line-face-calls-disband-it

Now, the FFL makes a phone call and stays on hold while they check.  He gets an answer either way before he hangs up.  From what I understand NH pulled 7 troopers off the street to handle the call volume.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wreckless said:

My last NIC check was last Saturday and took an hour and forty-five minutes to get approved. I left my FFL and came back when it passed. In FL they give you a link to a website to check the status on the pending transfer approval. You check it yourself.

On what exact day did you either fill out the 4473 or give the dealer your NICs info.?

one hour & 45 min NICs check last week in NJ is impossible.......

11 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Wow. Big delay. My approved checks in Merica are either instant or 15 minutes max.

Yeah, They have been getting worse in FL by the month. Prior to last weeks debacle was a December purchase transfer that took about 45 minutes. FL used to be 5 minutes or so but not any more.