45Doll

NJ Firearm Purchases Spike in 2020

It's not really news at this point, but the numbers are interesting.

There were 442,214 handgun permit applications filed in 2020, a 332% increase from the 102,270 filed in 2019.

The largest spike in applications came in June. There were 109,709 applications filed that month, compared to just 18,038 in May.

Applications dipped to 42,694 in July and hovered around 40,000 each month until December, when the number fell to 32,841. But interest in gun ownership is not waning. From Jan. 1 to Jan. 12, there were 9,344 applications submitted

.In Hoboken, where registered Democrats outnumber Republicans 48.5% to 15%, there were 605 permits filed to purchase a handgun in 2020, compared to 237 in 2019. The city issued 423 firearm identification cards last year, up from 147 in 2019.

In Brick, where registered Republicans account for 33.2% of residents compared to 24.3% Democrats, there were 3,662 applications for handgun permits filed in 2020, up from 1,354 in 2019. There can be up to a six-month wait to get a handgun application processed. This time last year, applications took about a month to handle.

Personally I think the 'interest' is only going to increase.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Can you post a link to this info?  I'd be interested in seeing some South Jersey data.

As I've noted elsewhere, I live in Democrat controlled Cherry Hill, in Democrat controlled Camden County . . . obviously, all in Democrat controlled New Jersey.  I already had my FID when I moved here two years ago but the PD was great when I changed the address on my FID and last September when applied for three handgun permits.  They even ISSUED the permits with the 90 day extension essentially giving me 180 day permits.

I don't know if they like my face and I don't know if anyone else in town would tell you the same thing.  I just executed the last of the three and I'm considering three more . . . You know . . . Just in case . . . 

1 hour ago, EdF said:

Can you post a link to this info?  I'd be interested in seeing some South Jersey data.

It was in a article on NJ.com today.

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/01/nj-gun-permit-applications-are-spiking-how-fear-brought-unprecedented-demand.html

...."In nearby Toms River, Joe Hawk, the owner of Guns & Roses gun shop, has to rub his eyes to make sure he’s seeing straight every time he looks at his sales numbers.

Since March 2020, business is up 1,000%, he said. He sold more than 5,000 guns just in the final nine-plus months of the year.

“I know — it’s hard to believe those numbers,” Hawk said.

The statistic that’s jumped out to him is three out of every 10 customers is a first-time gun buyer, he said. Prior to the pandemic, one in every 20 customers was making their first firearms purchase.

“They’re anti-gun and they still feel guns are the last resort, but they are uncertain about the political future,” Hawk explained. “They’re just terrified.”

5 hours ago, 45Doll said:

It's not really news at this point, but the numbers are interesting.

There were 442,214 handgun permit applications filed in 2020, a 332% increase from the 102,270 filed in 2019.

Those numbers probably would have been 50% higher if it weren't for the arduous N.J. FID/PP application process.

Lets see if Murphy, up for re-election, tries to give a big F-U to all those new and soon to be firearm owners. 

34 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Those numbers probably would have been 50% higher if it weren't for the arduous N.J. FID/PP application process.

Lets see if Murphy, up for re-election, tries to give a big F-U to all those new and soon to be firearm owners. 

I am sure he will try his best.

On 1/14/2021 at 2:44 PM, Bomber said:

Will not matter one bit,    We have commie liberal fudds right here on this form  that will still vote for him.