EdF

I'm Pretty Damned Sure That I Already Know the Answer

But, I'll ask anyway:  I have a part-time, second job that is seasonal.  The season is starting now.  For the next few month, I will be spending a few evenings and Sundays in a small office owned by my father.  We will have clients coming in randomly (very few schedule appointments), many are on the less than savory side of the spectrum.  In years past, we have had to throw some out, some issued threats, some came back with friend.  The police have been in the office on a number of occasions.  We are, by some of our clients, mistaken for a government office.

Is there a legal way that I can arm myself for this situation?

As noted, I'm very sure that I know the answer.  However, I am also interested in the discussion.

There's always the Lucille option or her cousin, Louisville a.k.a. the slugger.

Several ways to use it beyond Mark Mcquire.   There's the Arnold Palmer to the jewels and of course the forward jab to the solar plexus.

I'm on the payroll.  We have the same name but that won't carry any weight.  What if it was HIS gun kept here?

A taser is a pretty good suggestion as is mace or pepper.

There's no bat in the office but there is a big assed knife.

I'm not talking about "business disputes"  . . .  There is usually only a few thousand dollars cash here but some of our clients could EASILY believe that there is a lot more and some think that we are actually a branch of the government.

On 1/17/2021 at 4:31 PM, EdF said:

I'm on the payroll.  We have the same name but that won't carry any weight.  What if it was HIS gun kept here?

I'm not talking about "business disputes"  . . .  There is usually only a few thousand dollars cash here but some of our clients could EASILY believe that there is a lot more and some think that we are actually a branch of the government.

As the owner of the business, you're father could keep a firearm on the premises.  

However this is NJ so how it plays out if YOU have to use HIS firearm for defense is going to be complicated.  

On 1/20/2021 at 11:07 AM, Shepherd9 said:

As the owner of the business, you're father could keep a firearm on the premises.  

However this is NJ so how it plays out if YOU have to use HIS firearm for defense is going to be complicated.  

I read something here on the forum  years ago very closely related to this. There was statutes quoted in that thread, but like I said I read it years ago and I don't remember even exactly what they said. But, this is the scenario:

Guy legally owns a gun and keeps it stored in a closet. Wife knows the gun is there and knows how to use it. Intruder breaks into the house while the wife is home alone and the wife feels her life is in danger (life threat being valid or not is irrelevant in this scenario). Wife gets gun and shoots intruder (shooting the intruder also irrelevant in this scenario).

The conclusions and ramifications: (Regardless of and not withstanding weather or not the shooting was warranted.)

1) The husband/owner gave permission for the wife to take physical possession of the gun (under any circumstances). In New Jersey the husband is guilty of an illegal firearm transfer

2) The wife took physical possession of the gun without the owners/husbands permission. In New Jersey  the wife if guilty of theft of a firearm.

There is an exception to 1). that would be if it were to take place on a licensed firearms range.

Like I said this post was years ago so I don't remember the statute numbers or even the contents of them, but (sadly) they do support the above concussions

On 1/17/2021 at 4:31 PM, EdF said:

to the best of my knowledge you have to be the owner, and have to be in possession of the property...as in if it's leased, you have to be the leasee....if it's owned, you have to be on paper as an owner. if he's ok with it, have him change things so that you're a business partner/part owner, and list you on the lease. that's probably the best way. other than that, it's gonna be taser or baseball bat.....or a pepperball gun possibly?