Princetonian58

NRA Files for Bankruptcy Protection

Will this mean Wayne won't get any new Italian suits?

...."The National Rifle Association filed for bankruptcy protection and said it plans to restructure itself as a Texas nonprofit, the latest twist in its legal battle with New York Attorney General Letitia James.

The gun-rights group, which has been a New York-registered nonprofit since 1871, said it was taking the measures “to exit what it believes is a corrupt political and regulatory environment in New York.”

The New York attorney general’s office, which oversees the state’s charities bureau, filed a lawsuit last August seeking to dissolve the NRA, alleging that insiders violated the state’s nonprofit laws by illegally diverting tens of millions of dollars from the group through excessive expenses and contracts that benefited relatives or close associates."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sniper said:

The gun-rights group, which has been a New York-registered nonprofit since 1871, said it was taking the measures “to exit what it believes is a corrupt political and regulatory environment in New York.”

They just figured this out, NY environment corrupt. Makes mow wonder how smart they really are.

Some things don't belong on a forum, especially when ALL the info is NOT posted IN ONE PLACE so as to enable the community, how ever cognizant they think they may be, to draw the correct conclusion(s).  This is one of those topics.  The "NRA Haters" will come outta the woodwork and poison the well once more.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

We so like to eat our own around here.  

Reorganization in Texas is not something they (the NRA Board of Directors that actually didn't resign out of fear) dreamed-up yesterday.  Certain dominoes have to be played in order for that to happen.  This is merely ONE domino. 

Instead of wishing for the worst (the HATERS) or having teletype diarrhea (posting w/o facts), every NJ gun owner should plan of helping to make the NRA stronger for a Biden/Harris transition.  So who among you actually wants to do something besides BITCH?

I'll wait...

~R 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kind of agree with Smokin .50 here.

It's easy to hate on the NRA lately, and I'm certainly not happy with their spending practices as of late.  However, they are the largest pro-2A group in the nation and we will absolutely need them to fight the upcoming administration.

• Agree 2

I tend to agree with @Smokin .50 and shephard9, I don't like the bad press from them like everyone else on what they have done, but I think we, I feel the way we do is because we pay and for years and nothing good has happened in NJ,

Things are actually worse. 10 rd mags was 15, some stores will now not ship to NJ, And just this weekend I was in Sportsman Warehouse and was told they will not sell in store to NJ residents, and I'm sure more to come.

So I understand that they are the biggest and are Pro2a, but I feel like every time I send money, I'm helping some other state keep someone else's rights.

I rather send money to my local 2a at least they know where NJ is. 

I'm pissed with the NRA over the financial misdealing.  Not their activity or lack thereof.  It's not the NRA's fault that we are getting screwed in NJ.  It's our own.  We're the ones electing these asshats.

It doesn't matter what you groups you donate to.  Sure, the local groups keep the money and efforts here and the NRA MAY be better on the national stage.  But, just giving either money doesn't do anything to assure your rights.  Activity is the only thing that will do that.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

I feel the way we do is because we pay and for years and nothing good has happened in NJ,

Exactly how I feel... the Return on Investment has been negative in this state.

57 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Things are actually worse. 10 rd mags was 15, some stores will now not ship to NJ, And just this weekend I was in Sportsman Warehouse and was told they will not sell in store to NJ residents, and I'm sure more to come.

So I understand that they are the biggest and are Pro2a, but I feel like every time I send money, I'm helping some other state keep someone else's rights.

Exactly... being the biggest really doesn't do squat for us here, we've LOST more 2A rights then gained them recently, while Wayne buys new Italian suits and goes on nice trips...

I look at it this way, I don't hire any contractors or pay for any services if my payment/contribution doesn't match the services I get in return. The NRA, in my view, is just another organization that hasn't done anything to help us here for many years.

51 minutes ago, EdF said:

It's not the NRA's fault that we are getting screwed in NJ.  It's our own.  We're the ones electing these asshats.

It doesn't matter what you groups you donate to.  Sure, the local groups keep the money and efforts here and the NRA MAY be better on the national stage.  But, just giving either money doesn't do anything to assure your rights.  Activity is the only thing that will do that.

And that's the real truth. As we saw this past year, voting, at any level, produces crappy results for Conservatives and Pro 2A people. Until the TOTAL population wakes up to that fact, and decides to change it themselves.... we're just stuck in the Definition of Insanity... Doing the same thing, over and over, expecting a different result!

37 minutes ago, kman said:

Interesting article, and really sums it up. Looks like the NRA has been playing Defense, and being reactive to all the lawsuits, instead of playing Offense, and protecting our 2A rights.

Here's a snip... everyone should read that whole article:

...."Now on to the mess in the NRA. To begin with, it’s not just one lawsuit. The NRA is involved in a maze of lawsuits. In response to the suit by the New York Attorney General, the NRA has counter-sued New York State. In addition, the Association filed suit against New York Governor andrew Cuomo back in 2018 for trying to prevent banks and insurance companies from doing business with the Association. There is also a suite filed bye the AG of Washington, D.C., this one against the NRA Foundation. And there are several other lawsuits that have been filed over the past year involving the NRA’s long-time PR firm, Ackerman McQueen.

All of this litigation and related activity, has been costing NRA members a lot of money. A year ago, during the September Board of Directors meeting, Wayne LaPierre estimated that the whole mess had cost the Association between $80 and $100 million as of that point in time. Since then, several keystone NRA programs, including Carry Guard and NRA TV, have gone belly-up, and NRA members have been paying a single law firm something in the neighborhood of $2 million a month.

Then there is the lost revenue from wealthy members who have withdrawn pledges and regular members who are withholding donations until they see some sort of stability and accountability return to the Association. Not to mention the tens of millions of dollars that have apparently been squandered or shoveled into the pockets of a select few top NRA executives, and their pals.

Another questionable item - Marion Hammer received ~$430k compensation from the NRA in 2020:

https://onlygunsandmoney.com/2021/02/16/she-works-hard-for-the-money.html

The latest filings in the NRA’s bankruptcy case contain a treasure trove of information. This is especially true for the NRA’s statement of financial affairs. It goes well beyond a mere balance sheet and includes a complete list of payments and distributions to insiders. Insiders would be the officers of the NRA as well as all members of the Board of Directors.

Reading through the list, most of the payments are recruiter payments. While I might quibble on whether or not directors or their organizations should be compensated for bringing in new members, it is a relatively minor thing and the amount of money was not material (using an accounting term).

Bearing in mind that 2020 was a horrible year, financially and otherwise, for many people, there is one person who did rather well in 2020.

Marion Hammer.

Ms. Hammer received $246,500 in direct payments for “consulting services”. In addition, she received another $183,600 in indirect payments made to United Sportsmen of Florida for a “consulting agreement.” (See pages 53 and 54 of the NRA’s filing.)

As Donna Summer sang, “She works hard for the money.
So you better treat her right.”

Being Wayne LaPierre’s No. 1 defender and attack cat (she is a cat person) is hard work. He must have thought so which is why she got $430,100 of member’s money in an effort to treat her right.

https://restorenra.com/

What is Restore the NRA?

Restore the NRA is an effort to ensure the NRA continues its mission with the highest integrity to effectively service and represent gun owners, sportsmen and hunting enthusiasts.  Restore the NRA is not an organization, it’s just the banner under which funds are being raised to directly pay the legal fees to pursue the motion by Kansas District Court Judge and NRA Board Member Phil Journey asking the Bankruptcy Court to appoint an independent Examiner to determine the merit of allegations made in the avalanche of litigation filed by the New York Attorney General, NRA vendors, and NRA donors and members.

If the independent examination is authorized by the court, what happens when its findings are revealed?

Depending on the outcome of the findings – i.e. whether the various allegations have merit or not – there are alternatives the bankruptcy court can pursue.  If some or all of the allegations are determined to have some merit and involve individual executives or NRA Board members, the likely outcome is that those individuals will then be held to account, and the corporate governance of the NRA will be restructured to implement strong safeguards for member funds and to refocus those resources more effectively on the NRA’s mission to advocate for the Second Amendment and to service the sporting needs of NRA members.

14 hours ago, kman said:

Here's a blog with all the details of the internal hollowing out of the NRA, it is extremely sad reading and really the fact that things have been allowed to get this bad and they still re-up Wayne LaPierre every time is heartbreaking.

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/blog/

This was equally disturbing: 

The Weirdness of Wayne LaPierre, the NRA’s Reluctant Leader | Vanity Fair

They paint the guy out to be the Casper Milquetoast of 2A. The buildup to a conclusion is inevitable, and it may not be good. 

That was written by an NPR correspondent and published by vanity fair so take your grains of salt

but if this guy Wayne actually cared about the NRA he’d fall on his sword, guilty or not. Take his golden parachute and GTFO so the rest of the organization can move on 

11 hours ago, Shocker said:

That was written by an NPR correspondent and published by vanity fair so take your grains of salt

but if this guy Wayne actually cared about the NRA he’d fall on his sword, guilty or not. Take his golden parachute and GTFO so the rest of the organization can move on 

What is even more heartbreaking is that apparently it took a Democrat Attorney General from New York to show the NRA members that their premier gun rights organization has been totally violating the laws governing nonprofits, and has been completely wasting millions of dollars of member dues and donations on things having nothing to do with gun rights, to the point that it can't even fix the roof on its own headquarters, let alone prudently spend member dues and donations on the actual 2A cause.

And that it took a Vanity Fair article to finally cut through this fake image of Wayne LaPierre the NRA has put together, and give NRA members a look at what type of person has been leading the NRA to the brink of disaster.

Why couldn't actual 2A supporters find this out first and fix it before it became so bad and so much money was wasted?  Oliver North tried and was thrown out and no one defended him.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=MXZLcCl9fRX7yBbDJanoRA==

LaPierre should step down?  The board re-upped Wayne LaPierre to his post with celebration a few weeks ago, October 2nd.  The entire NRA has to be reformed from top to bottom.

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2021/10/03/nra-members-meeting-aftermath/

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2021/10/02/2021-members-and-board-meetings/

The NRA is so broke it can't fix the roof of its headquarters and yet it is apparently spending $2 Million a month on attorneys to fight the NY Attorney General's suit rather than admit what is now obvious which is that it doesn't follow basic rules for governing a nonprofit and refuses to fire and replace those who are responsible for the violations. 

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2021/10/18/nra-legal-bills/

When you actually did break the law, the sooner you admit it and try to make amends the more lenient the court will be to you. This is common sense.

Not too long from now, the NRA will have spent on lawyers everything it can get its hands on and will have to file a real bankruptcy action.  This AG took down Cuomo you think she can't take down the NRA if it keeps simply denying all of this well documented mismanagement, as it has been doing?

Robert Conquest's quote comes to mind:

“The behavior of any bureaucratic organization can best be understood by assuming that it is controlled by a secret cabal of its enemies.”

Think about that for a bit.

11 hours ago, Shocker said:

What is even more heartbreaking is that apparently it took a Democrat Attorney General from New York to show the NRA members that their premier gun rights organization has been totally violating the laws governing nonprofits, and has been completely wasting millions of dollars of member dues and donations on things having nothing to do with gun rights, to the point that it can't even fix the roof on its own headquarters, let alone prudently spend member dues and donations on the actual 2A cause.

And that it took a Vanity Fair article to finally cut through this fake image of Wayne LaPierre the NRA has put together, and give NRA members a look at what type of person has been leading the NRA to the brink of disaster.

Why couldn't actual 2A supporters find this out first and fix it before it became so bad and so much money was wasted?  Oliver North tried and was thrown out and no one defended him.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=MXZLcCl9fRX7yBbDJanoRA==

LaPierre should step down?  The board re-upped Wayne LaPierre to his post with celebration a few weeks ago, October 2nd.  The entire NRA has to be reformed from top to bottom.

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2021/10/03/nra-members-meeting-aftermath/

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2021/10/02/2021-members-and-board-meetings/

The NRA is so broke it can't fix the roof of its headquarters and yet it is apparently spending $2 Million a month on attorneys to fight the NY Attorney General's suit rather than admit what is now obvious which is that it doesn't follow basic rules for governing a nonprofit and refuses to fire and replace those who are responsible for the violations. 

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2021/10/18/nra-legal-bills/

When you actually did break the law, the sooner you admit it and try to make amends the more lenient the court will be to you. This is common sense.

Not too long from now, the NRA will have spent on lawyers everything it can get its hands on and will have to file a real bankruptcy action.  This AG took down Cuomo you think she can't take down the NRA if it keeps simply denying all of this well documented mismanagement, as it has been doing?

Robert Conquest's quote comes to mind:

“The behavior of any bureaucratic organization can best be understood by assuming that it is controlled by a secret cabal of its enemies.”

Think about that for a bit.