jm1827

Valve adjustment ?

Looks like my wife's car needs a valve adjustment,  she has a 2011 Honda Pilot, 220K miles.

Is this something that I can do myself?  I don't want to spend a lot, the car is near the end of its useful life.

Thanks,

• Like 1

Don't know your skills so I don't know if you can do it or not . . . But, if you type "2011 honda pilot valve adjustment" into your favorite search engine you will find some videos that show you what you need to do and you can decide for yourself. 

Let us know!

20 hours ago, EdF said:

Don't know your skills so I don't know if you can do it or not . . . But, if you type "2011 honda pilot valve adjustment" into your favorite search engine you will find some videos that show you what you need to do and you can decide for yourself. 

Let us know!

Good point. I think my skills should be fine, the actual valve adjustment isn't the hard part, taking everything apart to get there is more of the issue.  

• Agree 1

Um... I can't think of a single modern production car engine that uses non-hydraulic adjusters, thereby eliminating the need for valve adjustment, unless things are SERIOUSLY worn out.  Which in that case your motor is probably toast anyways.

ETA: Ok, so I did some searching... Honda Element engines suggest valve adjustment is advised at 100k mile.
Holy shit, honda.  Did you use a motor from the fucking 1950s?

• Haha 1
  • Crazy 1

3 hours ago, Sota said:

Um... I can't think of a single modern production car engine that uses non-hydraulic adjusters, thereby eliminating the need for valve adjustment, unless things are SERIOUSLY worn out.  Which in that case your motor is probably toast anyways.

ETA: Ok, so I did some searching... Honda Element engines suggest valve adjustment is advised at 100k mile.

Just about all their over head cam motors are adjustable. 

On 1/15/2021 at 5:41 PM, jm1827 said:

Looks like my wife's car needs a valve adjustment,  she has a 2011 Honda Pilot, 220K miles.

Is this something that I can do myself?  I don't want to spend a lot, the car is near the end of its useful life.

Thanks,

the front bank may not be too overly hard, but the rear bank will be. it's something you'd probably be thenkful for having left to your mechanic.

8 hours ago, jm1827 said:

Good point. I think my skills should be fine, the actual valve adjustment isn't the hard part, taking everything apart to get there is more of the issue.  

you won't be able to use your feeler gauge from your old hotrod. you'll probably also need an angled set of feelers. i've not done a v6 honda, but i needed 2 sets to do the 4bangers.

5 hours ago, Sota said:

yea. almost all hondas call for valve adjustment at some point, per the periodic maintenance schedule.

so now all that said, what makes you think you need a valve adjustment? 'cause if i gotta be honest, although nearly every honda engine calls for it, i haven't touched the valve adjustment on a honda in 20 years.

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

the front bank may not be too overly hard, but the rear bank will be. it's something you'd probably be thenkful for having left to your mechanic.

you won't be able to use your feeler gauge from your old hotrod. you'll probably also need an angled set of feelers. i've not done a v6 honda, but i needed 2 sets to do the 4bangers.

yea. almost all hondas call for valve adjustment at some point, per the periodic maintenance schedule.

so now all that said, what makes you think you need a valve adjustment? 'cause if i gotta be honest, although nearly every honda engine calls for it, i haven't touched the valve adjustment on a honda in 20 years.

The engine has 220K on it, and you can hear a definite valve tap.  With my limited experience, it sure sounds like there is too much valve lash somewhere.

24 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

The engine has 220K on it, and you can hear a definite valve tap.  With my limited experience, it sure sounds like there is too much valve lash somewhere.

if you've got an audible tap, then the adjustment is necessary.

just checked....motor only calls for 3.5 hours.

specs......

Valve Clearance

Intake:

0.20-0.24 mm (0.0079-0.0094 in)

Exhaust:

0.28-0.32 mm (0.0110-0.0126 in)

also...this engine gets adjusted cold......

6 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

if you've got an audible tap, then the adjustment is necessary.

just checked....motor only calls for 3.5 hours.

specs......

Valve Clearance

Intake:

0.20-0.24 mm (0.0079-0.0094 in)

Exhaust:

0.28-0.32 mm (0.0110-0.0126 in)

also...this engine gets adjusted cold......

Thanks again.  I think the 3.5 hours may turn into 6 or 7 for me but it seems doable.

On 1/15/2021 at 2:41 PM, jm1827 said:

Thanks,

Don't know your skill, but i will rather get the mechanic to fix it