PolishPete

First rifle - what to look for.

In all honesty with God as my witness, I started out with a 44 magnum revolver...must've been around 12-14 years old.  

My pops would've whipped me hard if he ever found out...haha

Surprisingly it was everything I expected and luckily I never got wacked in the forehead from the muzzle flip.  

But to the original poster, seems he is knowledged to a certain degree about firearms and mature so my advice for the first rifle is...

AK47

It's not picky about ammo (eats steel cases for breakfast), packs a harder punch than the 223/556, accuracy between the 2 is negligible for the average shooter and most importantly...it's more reliable.  Who cares about that over penetration/ballistics stuff for HD because we're talking about rifles here anyway...

The FUDD is strong in this thread.  Really love the "ARs are a fad"

Honestly, feel most sad for new posters coming here, asking valid questions.

This is pretty much this forum on every topic:

OP: "Hi guys, been thinking about getting a Porsche, any suggestions?"

"Yeah, a 1973 VW Beetle is a rear engine, so it's the same thing, you should get one of those"

"I like my Chevy Silverado, that's available in rear wheel drive, that's my suggestion"

"I raced a porsche with my mustang once, and I beat it, so porsches suck"

"I voted for Biden because of his stance on fuel economy, you should get a Civic"

"What's your budget?"

"I don't like German cars"

"Porsches are a fad, you should get a manual crank start"

"You can't take advantage of it in NJ, so why even buy one?"

etc etc etc

To the OP, I hope you got some good answers before this thread was derailed.  I would say that if you can find an AR platform for a reasonable price, it might be a good start, though ammo in almost any popular caliber will be a pain to find in quantities needed to familiarize yourself with the platform (and likely a pain on the wallet, too).  I found the AR platform to be extremely intuitive, doing well using a borrowed one long before I had my own.  You can customize almost anything about the rifle in the future should you decide you want to change something, so you should be able to tailor it to your preferences.  Whatever you get, find something that does fit you well, including having the stock pinned to a length that suits you and not just fully extended like many offerings seem to be.  Do realize that prices are vastly inflated now vs what they were not that long ago, so you likely won't make any money back if you sell it off in a couple months.

Personally, while I have a pistol, shotgun, and AR ready as home defense guns, I would pick the AR 100% of the time if I'm given the choice for ease of use, ease of aim, ease of reloading, and overpenetration concerns even though nearest neighbors are 300+ feet away.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

To the OP, I hope you got some good answers before this thread was derailed.  I would say that if you can find an AR platform for a reasonable price, it might be a good start, though ammo in almost any popular caliber will be a pain to find in quantities needed to familiarize yourself with the platform (and likely a pain on the wallet, too).  I found the AR platform to be extremely intuitive, doing well using a borrowed one long before I had my own.  You can customize almost anything about the rifle in the future should you decide you want to change something, so you should be able to tailor it to your preferences.  Whatever you get, find something that does fit you well, including having the stock pinned to a length that suits you and not just fully extended like many offerings seem to be.  Do realize that prices are vastly inflated now vs what they were not that long ago, so you likely won't make any money back if you sell it off in a couple months.

Personally, while I have a pistol, shotgun, and AR ready as home defense guns, I would pick the AR 100% of the time if I'm given the choice for ease of use, ease of aim, ease of reloading, and overpenetration concerns even though nearest neighbors are 300+ feet away.

Malice4you...  you're absolutely right in regards to the thread drifting away from the OPs question and I'm guilty of contributing to that however sometimes going off on a short detour may be enlightening for all those that have chimed in and educating for others as well...however you're absolutely right and I apologize to the OP because I would be annoyed if it was me.  

To the OP, look into the AK47.

Sorry again OP.   Second thought, AK47 may be a good 2nd or 3rd rifle for you.

Go with a off-the-rack AR platform for all the reasons listed above but ideally...I would suggest going to the range and renting many different rifles and go with whichever you think is the right fit for you.  

Everyone is different.

As a note, once you start going down the AR path...there is no turning back.  It's become an expensive hobby and I hope you have deep pockets.  

1 hour ago, Malice4you said:

Fudd?

Lol.

Ok ...special ops ar15 wielding high drag low speed ninja...  lol  ...

To each his own....  the ar is a toy in the hands of most....  just by the fact that you own and ar doesn't make you an operator...

Spend time on many firing lines....  most ar junkies can't even shoot offhand and hit anything !

This is not an Ar bash thing....i just don't think it is right as a hd weapon...but that again my opinion...use what tool YOU think works....

I will stick with my HP, 45's, sixguns and shotgun primary....  m1 and m1a for other troubles...and heaven forbid.....  milsurp bolts for more longterm shenanigans....enjoy your rifle soon to be de-platformed.   

This thread has been a great learning experience. Getting everyone’s opinions is always good as I get to see things from other perspectives. I appreciate the sarcasm, humor general „rubbing”, and overall civility of the exchange. Fantastic environment to participate in. Many thanks to all for your input!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, PolishPete said:

This thread has been a great learning experience. Getting everyone’s opinions is always good as I get to see things from other perspectives. I appreciate the sarcasm, humor general „rubbing”, and overall civility of the exchange. Fantastic environment to participate in. Many thanks to all for your input!

It's a forum, after all.  Drift and opinions are always going to happen.

Ultimately, due to the crazy market, your options may be somewhat limited.  Search the shelves and see what's available.  Then get to the range and gain familiarity and comfort with it.

Ammo is limited in every caliber so stock up on what you can and be prepared to pay a premium for it for the time being.

And by the way.......  AR!!!!!!!!!

Haha

• Haha 1

OP, the only true answer is to get multiple firearms.  All the arguing is simply about what order to purchase them in!

Personally I think the AR, with a red dot, light and the right ammo is a very good HD firearm.   That said, it is a HG (also with light and the right ammo) I have locked where I can quickly get it.   That’s mostly due to space however. 

I find it interesting that over penetration is a concern with a 357 revolver but not an AR? :icon_eek:
The 357 is pushing a bullet with a relatively large frontal area out at 1200ish FPS.  The AR is pushing a streamlined little bugger that's quite pointy at close to 3000FPS.  

To the OP:
What is your home's layout and size?  
Do you share a wall with  a neighbor?  
Do you have a spouse/kids or do you live alone? 
Do you have any training on firearms?
Do you understand the differences between "ball" ammo and defensive ammo?
Are you someone that can actually point the muzzle of a firearm at someone and attempt to destroy them?  

No need to answer these questions in the thread.  They are posted just to give you something to think about.  

For me, I have a striker fired, semi auto pistol with passive safeties next to my bed with a flash light.  It is loaded with defensive hollow point ammunition.  Why?  Because my home is small and my neighbors are close.  HP's expand in walls and dump their energy into the plaster better than ball ammo will.  When I miss my intended target with HP, I feel some reassurance that the bullet will stop in the wall/ceiling/floor before hitting someone that I did not intend to hit.  

That's me.

If I had a larger house and/or more land to "defend" I would consider an AR for home defense.  But for my scenario, my choice makes sense to me.  It may not make sense to or for you.  
I have owned more than a few AR's over the years and have never considered them in a defensive role in my home.  They are toys for me.  I have a battle rifle, but it's not what sleeps next to me.  It is, however, the gun that I would use my pistol to fight to get to if the time came.  In the world, it's a very versatile tool.  In my home, hard pass.  

And, by the way, if you're simply looking for an excuse to purchase an AR, by all means have at it.  

Good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bully said:

To the OP:
For me, I have a striker fired, semi auto pistol with passive safeties next to my bed with a flash light.  It is loaded with defensive hollow point ammunition.  Why?  Because my home is small and my neighbors are close.  HP's expand in walls and dump their energy into the plaster better than ball ammo will.  

I have owned more than a few AR's over the years and have never considered them in a defensive role in my home. 

The OP didn't say the rifle would be his primary HD weapon, he has a 9mm handgun so maybe that is his primary HD tool and he's looking for an AR in case Antifa rolls into the neighborhood.

Regardless of the firearm selected, HP ammunition is a no brainer for HD.  Even an AR should not be loaded with FMJ.  Plenty of rounds for easy expansion out there.  If chambered in 300 BLK, even better.

For Antifa?  I like the crew served belt fed option mentioned above!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ar-home-defense-clay-drywall-raw-meat-myth-busted/

spoiler: if you miss the bad guy, all calibers and loads go through multiple (5?) walls.  If you hit the bud guy,  HD loads of rifle penetrated the walls behind the least. 

6 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ar-home-defense-clay-drywall-raw-meat-myth-busted/

spoiler: if you miss the bad guy, all calibers and loads go through multiple (5?) walls.  If you hit the bud guy,  HD loads of rifle penetrated the walls behind the least. 

Vmax rounds are awesome! 

And yeah, miss with ANYTHING and drywall isn't stopping it.

23 minutes ago, Bomber said:

The OP didn't say the rifle would be his primary HD weapon, he has a 9mm handgun so maybe that is his primary HD tool and he's in the market for an AR in case Antifa rolls into the neighborhood.

Here's the OP original post:

- primary use is home defense

- secondary use is range training (I’m in Sussex county, considering rtsponline.com as training facility)

- ease of acquiring and cost of ammunition

So, it sounds like it's his go-to tool.

1 hour ago, Bully said:

What is your home's layout and size?  
Do you share a wall with  a neighbor?  
Do you have a spouse/kids or do you live alone? 
Do you have any training on firearms?
Do you understand the differences between "ball" ammo and defensive ammo?
Are you someone that can actually point the muzzle of a firearm at someone and attempt to destroy them?  

No need to answer these questions in the thread.  They are posted just to give you something to think about.  

Those are great, and something everyone needs to consider.

Here are some other points of consideration, how will you defend yourself from different areas of your home?

If you're sitting in the family room, and a perp kicks in your front door, getting to the locked safe in your bedroom for your H.D. AR15 is going to be a real problem.

Everyone needs to do a walk through, and war game every area of your home, and how you'll react if a intruder comes through various doors. In many cases, it might require having quick access tools in multiple places. Is placing multiple AR15s in different rooms the solution in your houses? It's not in mine.

Many people think they can buy a AR15 or shotgun, and stick it in a locked safe in their bedroom closet, and they're protected. That's a really poor plan.

That plan is as bad as the people who install a Ring video doorbell, and think they have great a video surveillance system protecting their home, or buy one fire extinguisher and put it in the garage, and think they're safe from fire.

Home defense is a multi level, multiple ring system, that requires various tools and plans. Here's the motto I live by:

• One is none
  • Two is one
  • And Three is where you want to be
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bomber said:

The OP didn't say the rifle would be his primary HD weapon, he has a 9mm handgun so maybe that is his primary HD tool and he's looking for an AR in case Antifa rolls into the neighborhood.

Antifa is not rolling into any neighborhoods in Sussex County.....   they want press....they will stay focused on cities....

*and* by chance it happens....do you want a puny 62grn bullet or 147 to 168grn bullet ?

c7291b2d99c479528e53eaacd53a591e.jpg

Had to...  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

love me some .357, my absolute favorite handgun round.  I'm getting just over 1500 fps out of a 6" 686 with a recipe from a friend.  That's a 158gr jhp.  It can be pushed harder too so never underestimate the 357.  The round has been toned down

also love me some m1 ping!!!!!!

If the op has a 9mm already, then by all means get an AR.  I'd build one in this mkt however

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shepherd9 said:

Classic.

Getting your thumb smacked in the action, also classic, but much less fun.

The Garand has earned its place though.

I have to be honest, it's never happened to me, not once.  Came close on a tanker when screwing around but never at the range or in actual use.  Just use your palm side as the rest, insert, load up and go baby!

I'm thinking of sending my stuff in to the cmp to get another one to convert to full size 308

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I have to be honest, it's never happened to me, not once.  Came close on a tanker when screwing around but never at the range or in actual use.  Just use your palm side as the rest, insert, load up and go baby!

I'm thinking of sending my stuff in to the cmp to get another one to convert to full size 308

Never happened to me either but I have very little time on one.  Just some fun at the range with a friends M1 and I was very diligent so as not to let it happen.

Given enough time I could see getting my thumb pinched at some point.

3 minutes ago, Shepherd9 said:

Never happened to me either but I have very little time on one.  Just some fun at the range with a friends M1 and I was very diligent so as not to let it happen.

Given enough time I could see getting my thumb pinched at some point.

you need one!  Need is understatement, every American SHOULD have one  lol

You get used to how to feed it.  It's so easy once you do it right, it's like riding a bike

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Shepherd9 said:

I've checked their site before.  Guess you have to join the CMP to be able to purchase through them?

you do but it's easy although, I've not done it yet but been meaning too.  I wish we could do a group buy with someone who has a membership