PolishPete

First rifle - what to look for.

18 minutes ago, Shepherd9 said:

I've checked their site before.  Guess you have to join the CMP to be able to purchase through them?

There are a lot of CMP affiliated organizations, membership in one allows you to buy through CMP.  Some clubs and collector organizations, GSSF, etc.

I thought ANJRPC, of which it looks like you are a member, is also a qualifying affiliated organization, but a quick look on their website didn't turn anything up.  Perhaps someone else on the board will know.

Just now, 10X said:

There are a lot of CMP affiliated organizations, membership in one allows you to buy through CMP.  Some clubs and collector organizations, GSSF, etc.

I thought ANJRPC, of which it looks like you are a member, is also a qualifying affiliated organization, but a quick look on their website didn't turn anything up.  Perhaps someone else on the board will know.

yes but that alone doesn't qualify you.  it's just paperwork really

the question is here, who has a membership and can we do a group buy?

5 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

c7291b2d99c479528e53eaacd53a591e.jpg

I like that.

Someone (not sure who) makes a T-shirt that reads:

M1 Garand

Turning cover into concealment since 1936

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

go through the cmp, it's cheaper to be honest.  the private mkt is out of line with reality, so many of these guys think they have gold in wood. 

The folks that have hoarded M1's are going to be kicking the bucket - and the market will be flooded.  It will be a buyers market soon enough.  CMP is still the best bet - the private market - UNLESS it is a truly collectible configuration, is 10000% inflated. Agree.

3 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

you need one!  Need is understatement, every American SHOULD have one  lol

You get used to how to feed it.  It's so easy once you do it right, it's like riding a bike

Done correctly - no M1 thumb....correctly that is.  :)

2 hours ago, 10X said:

I like that.

Someone (not sure who) makes a T-shirt that reads:

M1 Garand

Turning cover into concealment since 1936

I have that meme some where on my phone - and many do not know - a LOT of the 30CAL WW2 is steel core armor piercing.....  :) - and they were NOT blacktip...

So the phrase turning cover to concealment is 100% true.  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I'm dead serious, if someone has an acct, let's do this

Lol...  not so much an acct...but meeting the requirements...  ;)

Haven't bought from the cmp in like 5 years...

My acct might be active...will check

25 minutes ago, Shepherd9 said:

I'm in if the price is reasonable. 

Whats the ballpark on a decent M1 through CMP?

There is a wealth of information on their website--it's worth a look.  They sell a lot more than just M1s.

The M1 page lists about 30 combinations of grade and manufacturer.  All but one are sold out, and it's been that way for quite awhile.  

The field grade Winchesters they have are $850, shipping to your FFL included.  Gone are the days when the DCM (precursor to CMP) charged $165 and shipped them directly to your house.

There has been a lot of hand-wringing over people buying their limit of 8/year, only to resell for profit to those not interested in the civilian marksmanship requirements that are part of the CMP charter.  But they've not figured out how to prevent it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 10X said:

There is a wealth of information on their website--it's worth a look.  They sell a lot more than just M1s.

The M1 page lists about 30 combinations of grade and manufacturer.  All but one are sold out, and it's been that way for quite awhile.  

The field grade Winchesters they have are $850.

There has been a lot of hand-wringing over people buying their limit of 8/year, only to resell for profit to those not interested in the civilian marksmanship requirements that are part of the CMP charter.  But they've not figured out how to prevent it.

Well anything in the $850 range, give or take a bit is fine by me if we can figure out a group buy.

1 hour ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Lol...  not so much an acct...but meeting the requirements...  ;)

Haven't bought from the cmp in like 5 years...

My acct might be active...will check

please do and let's do a buy!!!!  please

1 hour ago, 10X said:

The field grade Winchesters they have are $850, shipping to your FFL included.  Gone are the days when the DCM (precursor to CMP) charged $165 and shipped them directly to your house.

totally fine with a field winnie but even the cheaper 700 ones are good.  I'm stripping the barrel off and doing a 308 anyway  !!!!!

I wish that I could find it but many years ago, I read a report that studied LEO involved gun fights.  It showed that the average took place at a distance of less than ten feet, twenty rounds were fired and no one was injured.  I have also heard, second hand, that most of the weapons carried by local LEOs may not even fire if they pulled the trigger.  They don't go to the range and don't clean their weapons.  They turn them to the armory every two years for cleaning.

17 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I'm in for a group buy! I always wanted an M1. :)

I love how this thread started trying to help a guy with a home defense rifle and spun into a large group buy of M1 Garands!!!

"You get a Grand, and you get a Garand, and you get a Garand..."

• Haha 1
  • Crazy 1

Just now, Shepherd9 said:

I love how this thread started trying to help a guy with a home defense rifle and spun into a large group buy of M1 Garands!!!

"You get a Grand, and you get a Garand, and you get a Garand..."

. . . Don't they all?

4 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

Excellent

Now who can take our orders and how much is the vig:)

The vig is the purchaser gets first dibs on which rifle he keeps from the batch.  Who knows what really will be the condition of them when received. 

20 minutes ago, Dooly said:

The vig is the purchaser gets first dibs on which rifle he keeps from the batch.  Who knows what really will be the condition of them when received. 

There are tiers for condition. 

Anjrpc does qualify, however I'm not under the impression you can do group buys through the CMP. I thought the rifles were dedicated for only members that qualify, and not to be directly distributed or transferred to those who don't. CMP will blacklist people who intentionally violate their rules. The civilian Marksmanship Program has some strict rules as to your intentions for purchasing rifles, primarily personal use to promote Marksmanship programs. Which is why they only sell to people part of clubs and organizations that qualify with Marksmanship programs, even if you don't participate in them. ANJRPC has yearly shooting competitions specifically for CMP acquired rifles, and other historical rifles. Doing a group buy for people who don't qualify imo is a big red mark on the reason the program exists, who ever buys them if you guys do this should understand the potential consequences of never being able to buy again in the future. 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

There are tiers for condition. 

Anjrpc does qualify, however I'm not under the impression you can do group buys through the CMP. I thought the rifles were dedicated for only members that qualify, and not to be directly distributed or transferred to those who don't. CMP will blacklist people who intentionally violate their rules. The civilian Marksmanship Program has some strict rules as to your intentions for purchasing rifles, primarily personal use to promote Marksmanship programs. Which is why they only sell to people part of clubs and organizations that qualify with Marksmanship programs, even if you don't participate in them. ANJRPC has yearly shooting competitions specifically for CMP acquired rifles, and other historical rifles. Doing a group buy for people who don't qualify imo is a big red mark on the reason the program exists, who ever buys them if you guys do this should understand the potential consequences of never being able to buy again in the future. 

^^^^^^   This.

Each rifle is as part of the transfer, NICS to the buyer...

The buyer cannot just hand em out...that would be a straw purchase...  

Essentially this 'group buy' is never going to happen....

Well sounds like we could do it with subsequent FFL transfers to individuals.

Except the original buyer would be violating the rules of CMP membership and probably jeopardizing their status with CMP.

So is anyone willing to be expelled from CMP?   Otherwise looks like we're done....