PolishPete

First rifle - what to look for.

1 minute ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Buy an AR...it is a superior weapon....

I have "x" amount of ARs already... I build them seasonally....

Won't disclose for prying ATF eyes.. most were lost in a terrible accident,  blah blah blah....

I want a damn M1 now!   The interest was peaked with a cover vs concealment meme and now I absolutely NEED one.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Shepherd9 said:

So is anyone willing to be expelled from CMP?   Otherwise looks like we're done....  

Why?  It’s easy to meet the CMP requirements, and it unlocks all the treasures in the CMP store. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 10X said:

Why?  It’s easy to meet the CMP requirements, and it unlocks all the treasures in the CMP store. 

Its evidently to much work for the youngins...

Immediate gratification and all....

Lol

44 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

Take an Appleseed course. You get to shoot all weekend, you will become a better marksman, and you will get a CMP golden ticket.  Win, win, win. 

Sure...where?  Flight/transport + cost of ammo + food and lodge...  might as well just buy one off GB...

An Appleseed event is $75. That's for 2 full days of shooting and instruction. Most people shoot it with a .22, so you will need 1 brick of .22 ammo.  A Ruger 10/22 with a sling is ideal.  If you don't have one let them know and they will loan you one. You will leave a much better marksman than you entered. And they are a ton of fun. 

There are usually no events in NJ ( I attended on about 3 years ago and to my knowledge that was the last one), but there are a LOT of events in PA and MD. 

On 1/23/2021 at 10:43 PM, CAL. .30 M1 said:

... it unlocks all the treasures in the CMP store

Is it cheaper to just buy one off of GB? Probably. But once you have the marksman cert you have unlimited access to all the CMP has (M1s! 1911s! Enfields!)- for life. 

And it's a very worthy cause. Check them out: Project Appleseed | Project Appleseed (appleseedinfo.org)

• Like 1

If the OP is still around... one thought I'd add is availability to practice. You may find it easier to find a place to practice with a pistol caliber rifle, like a 9mm PCC, than an AR in 5.56 or a .30 caliber rifle, or others. 

I've looked at the Appleseed before when I saw it on here. Nothing in NJ or Del, but they do have some dates in Pa. Good timing since I need to schedule my vacation time for spring/summer now. Thanks for the reminder. 

On the CMP front, I need to get a letter from my club, proving I'm a member, then I can put in my application/order. 

Just FYI - I have attended 3 Appleseed events so far (had registered for another one last year but Covid got in the way) - NJ, PA, and MD. All were different; different instructors, different ranges, etc. And every single one was worth what I paid all-in. You are never going to find 2 days worth of instruction for $75.  Go once and I guarantee you will go again. 

And just FYI - this is not a defense course. But if you want to consistently hit targets out to 200, 300 yards or more, everything you learn here will help immensely with that. 

• Like 1