KeithD

Hello!

Hello!

Soon to be new gun owner here in Morris County; waiting on the NICS to clear on a Beretta 92A1 from my LGS. It was tough researching what to buy vs what was available until I held that beauty in my hand. Sold! Easy, haha.

For some reason I had this idea stuck in my head that I wanted to wait until I owned seven kittens before I armed myself. In retrospect, I have no idea why I enforced such a dumb rule on myself,  everyone knows it’s a litter of six and under that are defenseless. It’s almost like being raised by lions brainwashed me or something, haha. Missed out on years I could have been learning! Now that I do own seven kittens, oh boy, the timing of this couldn’t have been any (sarcastically) better, uh. Sorry for being amongst the millions contributing to all the shortages out there. On a positive note, despite all the horror stories I heard, the FID & permit process went smooth for me.

A quick background, I have limited experience with firearms; mostly from time living out of state and visiting friends in other states. I’ve been fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to use a fairly wide range of guns over the years. That’s one of the main attractions for me when visiting one of these states! And friends get a kick out of watching the Jersey-boy to safely blast a watermelon to pulp for the first time, haha.

I have been to RTSP a few times to rent and to take a class. Nice facilities and helpful staff from my experience. On my most recent visit I was met by an hour long wait to get on the range though, ouch. As you all know, haha, there’s not many options to shoot round here, jeez! I will more than likely stick with RTSP and their by-the-hour range for now, but I have inquired about membership to a couple other clubs.

I would prefer to gain some proficiency with the Beretta before moving on to a second gun. A shotgun will most likely be purchase #2 since I have friends who trap shoot and that would provide another layer of HD if, hopefully never, needed.

I must thank the community here for maintaining the wealth of knowledge contained on these forums. In a state like NJ with all the confusing laws, rules, restrictions, exceptions and exemptions this place is an invaluable resource to someone just starting out. Stay safe. Thank you all!

Keith

Oh hey!! Welcome! I also live in Morris County (I'm from Morris Township) and recently bought my first home! I'm not so new to shooting/ guns as I've been shooting for almost 20 years and a gun owner for almost 15. Local public ranges have turned me off with such long wait times lately so I joined a private one (Cherry Ridge in Vernon. It's a drive, but scenic and worth it to me) Locally, I'm about 10-15 minutes from the shotgun practice range at the Chester WMA, Black River. And I head there for some quick clay busting when the mood strikes. 

Feel free to reach out to me if you wanna chat about local spots! 

:)

Rhi

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

Oh hey!! Welcome! I also live in Morris County (I'm from Morris Township) and recently bought my first home! I'm not so new to shooting/ guns as I've been shooting for almost 20 years and a gun owner for almost 15. Local public ranges have turned me off with such long wait times lately so I joined a private one (Cherry Ridge in Vernon. It's a drive, but scenic and worth it to me) Locally, I'm about 10-15 minutes from the shotgun practice range at the Chester WMA, Black River. And I head there for some quick clay busting when the mood strikes. 

Feel free to reach out to me if you wanna chat about local spots! 

:)

Rhi

Hey Rhi!

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

Yes! Black River is where my friends go. I will likely be there often once I have a shotgun and license. Side note, as kids, my seven sisters and I all lived near a trap range and we used to swim thru the swampy reeds to grab missed clays, get stung by bees, wasp and hornets. Ants too. We’d all go back home, all eight of us, with targets for our pellet guns & slingshots, haha. Oh to grow up in not New Jersey.

I added Cherry Ridge to the list of clubs to look into. I just watched their welcome video. Thanks for the recommendation! Yea, that is a drive, but beautiful for sure. Hey, I’d rather spend 4 hours on a scenic drive than staring at my phone, out the windshield and back to my phone for an hour, haha. Easton is a similar 4-4.5 hour commute and other places I’ve submitted inquires to are SCFGPA & Shongum.

Right now I have found some benefit as a new shooter in having a RO watching my back and to ask questions to as they come up. Knowing myself though, haha, as I become more confident I am soon going to seek the comfort of a private range.

I appreciate the offer to chat! 

Take care!
Keith

Hi, Keith and Rhi,

You can't beat the price of the WMAs for a place to shoot clays, but you're also not to far from the North Jersey Clay Target Club in Fairfield.  NJCTC  It's open to non-members as well as members.  They are almost exclusively a trap club, but a few times a year they set up for five-stand or some other gun game.

Trap is $5 a round for members, $10 for non-members.  They don't sell ammo on site, but a few times a year when they get a truckload of clays, members can place an order with the supplier and have ammo delivered at the same time.   Target loads seem to be one of the few things that haven't shot up in price.  This month's delivery was still priced at $56 for a flat of 10 boxes  Federal Top Gun in 12 Ga, no shipping or tax.  Lots of other brands, gauges available as well, plus wads and shot for the reloaders (they can't bring in powder or primers).

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 10X said:

Hi, Keith and Rhi,

You can't beat the price of the WMAs for a place to shoot clays, but you're also not to far from the North Jersey Clay Target Club in Fairfield.  NJCTC  It's open to non-members as well as members.  They are almost exclusively a trap club, but a few times a year they set up for five-stand or some other gun game.

Trap is $5 a round for members, $10 for non-members.  They don't sell ammo on site, but a few times a year when they get a truckload of clays, members can place an order with the supplier and have ammo delivered at the same time.   Target loads seem to be one of the few things that haven't shot up in price.  This month's delivery was still priced at $56 for a flat of 10 boxes  Federal Top Gun in 12 Ga, no shipping or tax.  Lots of other brands, gauges available as well, plus wads and shot for the reloaders (they can't bring in powder or primers).

Everyone has suggested I check out Fairfield, but I haven't yet. CR has some 5 stand I think but if I'm going to make a whole day of clays I like taking the drive out to Lehigh. I really should make some time to see Fairfield for myself

• Agree 1

Howdy, OP, welcome to the forum. 

Many of us utilize the WMAs for shotgun shoots. Usually Clinton and Stafford Forge. Y’all are welcome to join us the next shoot. We usually announce them in the ‘Events and Meetups’ section. 

Hope to see y’all! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, KeithD said:

I am new to all this and honestly don’t really know too many people who even own guns around here.

Probably they're keeping their firearm ownership quiet.

Outside of a couple of trusted friends I don't discuss what I own or don't own with anyone. 

IMO anonymity (what little is possible these days) is important, you might want to be careful with personally identifiable info publicly posted. Use the messaging feature for that stuff.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, 10X said:

Hi, Keith and Rhi,

10X, thank you for the recommendation! I will be sure to check them out, they’re now on my list.  Check!

Rutgers, Mrs. Peel, Glen & Tex - Thanks all for the welcoming welcomes! I will be sure to keep an eye on the Events & Meetups page, sounds like fun!

Redeye, I’m with you, all this clay talk I may end up with that shotgun sooner than I thought, haha.

6 hours ago, Bomber said:

Probably they're keeping their firearm ownership quiet.

Outside of a couple of trusted friends I don't discuss what I own or don't own with anyone. 

IMO anonymity (what little is possible these days) is important, you might want to be careful with personally identifiable info publicly posted. Use the messaging feature for that stuff.

Bomber, thanks for looking out buddy! I did get a bit chatty on my intro, haha. I will tweak it...

58 minutes ago, KeithD said:

10X, thank you for the recommendation! I will be sure to check them out, they’re now on my list.  Check!

Rutgers, Mrs. Peel, Glen & Tex - Thanks all for the welcoming welcomes! I will be sure to keep an eye on the Events & Meetups page, sounds like fun!

Redeye, I’m with you, all this clay talk I may end up with that shotgun sooner than I thought, haha.

Bomber, thanks for looking out buddy! I did get a bit chatty on my intro, haha. I will tweak it...

You’re welcome to shoot mine. I kind of consider my shotguns to be the ‘village bicycle’...everyone gets to ride. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since I mentioned the North Jersey Clay Target Club in Fairfield  NJCTC   in this thread already, I'll note that I just received an email from them this morning.  For the next four months, starting Feb 1, they are doing a cross-promotion with the Reloaderz range in Wayne.  NJCTC members get a 50% discount on range time at Reloaderz ($17.50/hour instead of $35).   Reloaderz members get a 50% discount on trap at NJCTC ($5 round instead of $10 round).   They'll evaluate at the end of 4 months to see if they want to make it a more permanent promotion.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, gleninjersey said:

Welcome.

We should have a clay shoot at Chester WMA.

We could try to do one at Black River WMA.  I've been a bit busy and haven't been able to call one.  Anyone have more experience with that location?

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

How welcoming are they of larger groups?  Usually 15-20ish.  Generally with 2 throwers.

Someone would if course have a hunting license.  Which reminds me, I need to renew mine!

I feel like it's not as many stands as Clinton, but it's also not really as busy. I usually go on weekdays (I have my hunting license, and l just renewed it) so I'm not sure how busy a weekend morning is normally (probably not as busy during the winter months) I've seen largish groups shooting of like 6-8 on a single thrower at a single stand. So I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if it's not packed. 

I can swing past this weekend to do some recon if there's interest.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hello everyone. Although I'm new to this forum I'm certainly not new to shooting. I bought my first handgun and rifle nearly 30 years ago. I've been on and off with shooting (mostly off) but recently I've started shooting again. I just bought my second handgun a couple of months ago and I'm looking to get another rifle so I'm hoping to learn a few things before I pull the trigger (pun intended).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tonester2 said:

Hello everyone. Although I'm new to this forum I'm certainly not new to shooting. I bought my first handgun and rifle nearly 30 years ago. I've been on and off with shooting (mostly off) but recently I've started shooting again. I just bought my second handgun a couple of months ago and I'm looking to get another rifle so I'm hoping to learn a few things before I pull the trigger (pun intended).

Hi Tonester2! Welcome!

FYI, not sure if you know you posted your intro within an intro here? You can go a page back and start a new thread. No biggie! Just a friendly FYI. I’m sure someone with 30 years of experience can attract and hold a more engaged conversation with the folks here than I can after 30 days of gun ownership, haha. 

Have you owned one handgun and one rifle for 30 years? 

7 hours ago, KeithD said:

Hi Tonester2! Welcome!

FYI, not sure if you know you posted your intro within an intro here? You can go a page back and start a new thread. No biggie! Just a friendly FYI. I’m sure someone with 30 years of experience can attract and hold a more engaged conversation with the folks here than I can after 30 days of gun ownership, haha. 

Have you owned one handgun and one rifle for 30 years? 

Yeah, I'm probably not as tech savvy as most here. Yes, for the last 30 years I've owned just 1 handgun (38 Special) and a rifle (.22 LR). A couple of months ago I got my second handgun (1911 .45 ACP) and now I'm looking to get a NJ AR-15 type "rifle", most likely an "Other" firearm chambered for 5.56 so I have the flexibility of using 5.56 or 223 rounds.