Jump to content
Lu6973

Ruger Mini-14

Recommended Posts

I have one.  It's a good alternative to an AR, similar ballistics (perhaps not quite as accurate), but doesn't look tactical.  I call it my FU gun, because there's a good chance they could remain legal under an "assault weapons" ban.  There are lots of You  Tube videos about them.  Watch a few, then get one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had two and sold them as I didn't like them at all.  Accuracy is terrible, reliable, uses AR mags but it's 223.  If you must go this route, get a flightlite lower if you can find one and have at it.  Or wait, other companies will build something similar soon enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newer ones with thicker barrel are supposed to be more accurate.  I purchased a pre-owned one dated to late 70s.  It shoots fine for me.  One of my brother inlaws family has one at a farm they own.  He says the Mini-14 has taken more deer on the property than any other rifle.  

Here's a good article about their "problem".  If you buy one made after 2006 you should be fine.

https://www.offthegridnews.com/self-defense/the-ruger-mini-14s-biggest-problem-and-how-to-fix-it/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one and I think it's a great rifle and very good alternative to an AR for those who are looking. With a 5 round magazine it has a low profile and can pass for a .22 or any other "non-black" rifle.

General opinion/observations:
I have a newer one (made in 2017 I think) and it cycles every kind of ammo I put through it.  I have thousands of rounds through it with no failures.

It was the first centerfire rifle that my kids shot and it's still the one they enjoy shooting the most.

While I've had scopes and other optics on it, I'm a big fan of the iron sights it comes with.  Very easy to see/get on target.

Takedown/cleaning/maintenance is easy and it doesn't mind running a little dirty.

Accuracy:
I respect everyone's opinion here, but I'm not sure that they're all based on the newer (post 1980's) barrel profile. 

Accuracy is fine.  Mine is a 2 - 3 MOA shooter at 100 yards, so for my purposes that's fine.  It's DEFINITELY not a benchrest gun and it's not a 1 MOA (or sub MOA if you believe the braggers) AR or high-end battle rifle.

The only real gripe I have is that it doesn't take AR magazines.

 

Happy to answer any specific questions you have.
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had always had a Mini 14 around for over 40 years.  Before the late 70s if one wanted a military style semiautomatic rifle you had 3 choices.  The Mini 14, Colt AR15, or M1A.  I bought my first in the middle 70s for about $160, about half the price of an AR15 at the time.

I see it as a modern version of a M1 Carbine using a more effective round.  We had them a work back in the 80s and 90s so I probably shot a few dozen of them.  Never saw one that couldn't shoot 3-4" at 100 yards.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks to all.... placing a special order @ Heritage Guild in Branchburg ..... will be waiting for months no doubt, unless someone knows if I can place an order somewhere else and reduce that to weeks..... maybe a large internet seller (like Bud's Gun Shop) and I just use a NJ FFL.  Sorry always purchased my firearms in NJ.

Looking to get SKU 5801

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@remixer Steve at Monmouth Arms is my go to FFL / gun guy.  He may be able to help you out if he's not too far for you. 

I've also used JT Customs and Tactical Concepts.  

All were excellent.  

There is always Gunbroker.  But I was shocked at the prices I saw for the "buy it now options".  I think the least expensive "buy it now" choices was $950 for a Ruger Mini-14.  And it was an older version.

Good luck.  Great looking rifle!

Link to the $950 used one if interested:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889661746
 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

@remixer Steve at Monmouth Arms is my go to FFL / gun guy.  He may be able to help you out if he's not too far for you. 

I've also used JT Customs and Tactical Concepts.  

All were excellent.  

There is always Gunbroker.  But I was shocked at the prices I saw for the "buy it now options".  I think the least expensive "buy it now" choices was $950 for a Ruger Mini-14.  And it was an older version.

Good luck.  Great looking rifle!

Link to the $950 used one if interested:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889661746
 

Thanks, sent a PM to remixer.  I don't mind driving to Englishtown

Yeah.. I searched in gunbroker..really interested in a new one instead of buying used.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2021 at 7:47 AM, RUTGERS95 said:

had two and sold them as I didn't like them at all.  Accuracy is terrible, reliable, uses AR mags but it's 223.  If you must go this route, get a flightlite lower if you can find one and have at it.  Or wait, other companies will build something similar soon enough

They do NOT use AR mags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 11:50 PM, dajonga said:

FYI....Shooters in LEHT has a new Mini 14 on the shelf.

Thanks....just picked up my Mini-14 from Shooters....and just received my 10 rd mags from Rugers that I ordered online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lu6973 said:

Thanks....just picked up my Mini-14 from Shooters....and just received my 10 rd mags from Rugers that I ordered online.

Please let us know about the function of the 10 round mags please.  I want to buy some,  but I read horror stories about them not working at all,  or not being able to load 10 and insert into gun with bolt closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tunaman said:

Please let us know about the function of the 10 round mags please.  I want to buy some,  but I read horror stories about them not working at all,  or not being able to load 10 and insert into gun with bolt closed.

I think the Ruger magazine are OK, but most of the non-Ruger branded 10 round magazines have a "break in" period before they'll easily/comfortably be able to seat when the bolt is closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I think the Ruger magazine are OK, but most of the non-Ruger branded 10 round magazines have a "break in" period before they'll easily/comfortably be able to seat when the bolt is closed.

I only ask because I read on the Ruger website the reviews for these 10 round magazines suck.  Maybe they got them straightened out but I would like to hear from a recent customer of the Ruger magazines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...