JeepGunner

Converting 30 rd Pmag to 10 rds using Magblocks

Assuming I did this work over at a friend's house in PA, is it legal to have 30rd Pmags converted to 10rds using magblocks and rivets in our great state of NJ?

I've heard conflicting reports about being able to modify AR15 magazines past a certain date in NJ. 

Thanks for any and all input.

Here is a video on the procedure.

3 hours ago, StarGazer said:

Assuming I did this work over at a friend's house in PA, is it legal to have 30rd Pmags converted to 10rds using magblocks and rivets in our great state of NJ?

I've heard conflicting reports about being able to modify AR15 magazines past a certain date in NJ. 

Thanks for any and all input.

Here is a video on the procedure.

In my opinion that is not a permanent modification.

Assuming you own them and assuming they are in PA...and you want 10 round mags.

Leave them in PA, they might be worth something soon or at least be grandfathered...and buy new 10rnd mags.

If you want to modify them, cut the mag body to 10rnd length and the mag plate can be pinned on...  works like a charm.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Epoxy and rivets have been used (separately) by major resellers to make plastic mag mods permanent. 

well it depends on how it's done.  I've seen people epoxy bottom on the outside and it's clearly not going to fly as you'd need to do is cut through it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I've seen people epoxy bottom on the outside

I cannot speak to how some individuals make the mod permanent.  Just how Charlie Cooper and GMW do it.  I can assure you, the epoxied mags are as permanent as permanent can be according to the law.  I've also seen roll pins inserted laterally through the floor plate.

• Like 2

Almost all modified 10/30 pmags are epoxied after the magblock is installed.  These are permanently modified magazines and sold as NJ compliant.

The intent is to render the magazine permanently limited to 10 rounds.  Just because you "can" dissolve or cut through the epoxy does not make it non compliant.  There is nothing that can be mechanically done to limit a 30 rd magazine that could not be undone with enough effort.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shepherd9 said:

Almost all modified 10/30 pmags are epoxied after the magblock is installed.  These are permanently modified magazines and sold as NJ compliant.

The intent is to render the magazine permanently limited to 10 rounds.  Just because you "can" dissolve or cut through the epoxy does not make it non compliant.  There is nothing that can be mechanically done to limit a 30 rd magazine that could not be undone with enough effort.

it absolutely does.  If you can modify it, it's not permanent.  There are many ways too do this I agree but if it can be modified, it's not permanent.  Now if it's riveted or blocked with rivets great but if only using epoxy, you're cooked

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shepherd9 said:

There is nothing that can be mechanically done to limit a 30 rd magazine that could not be undone with enough effort.

This is correct, nothing is permanent.

Even rivets can be easily drilled out.

My suggestion, put in the mag blocks, epoxy the base plate, and stop worrying.

There hasn't been a single report in over 2 years of anyone being arrested at the range with a +10 round mag.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

This is correct, nothing is permanent.

Even rivets can be easily drilled out.

My suggestion, put in the mag blocks, epoxy the base plate, and stop worrying.

There hasn't been a single report in over 2 years of anyone being arrested at the range with a +10 round mag.

agree

I believe if it requires tools to modify, you'd be safe but my issue is just the epoxy.  I can melt epoxy with a lighter if needed, boil it away, etc etc.  I can make that epoxy disappear faster than 1k brick of ammo if needed.  That's why the 'only epoxy' crowd, and they are out there, need to be careful

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StarGazer said:

Thanks for you input.  I only have the short 10 rd pmags.

Would epoxy make it a permanent modification?  And are there any issues with using mag blocks themselves for the modification?

Magpul just introduced 10/30 rd pmags at a MSRP of $18. I'd buy those and save on money & headaches. Keep those 30 rd mags whole. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hexmags show what a clusterfvck NJ law is.  You can easily disassemble the 10/30 Hexmag, swap out the spring and have a full 30. Undoing a riveted or epoxied Magpul is tons more difficult.

Edit:  just a clarification - the old 10/30 Hexmags could be easily disassembled.  It looks like the newer series 2 Hexmags have a rivet at the base.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StarGazer said:

... old 10/30 Hexmags could be easily disassembled.  It looks like the newer series 2 Hexmags have a rivet at the base.

Either you have the old 15/30 hexmags someone converted to 10, or someone messed with a hexmag 10, because my Gen 2 10/30 Hexmags have no rivet. The entire point with limited Hexmags was they were still able to be disassembled to clean.

42 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Either you have the old 15/30 hexmags someone converted to 10, or someone messed with a hexmag 10, because my Gen 2 10/30 Hexmags have no rivet. The entire point with limited Hexmags was they were still able to be disassembled to clean.

I don't have any Hexmags I saw one video that showed an easy conversion and they I saw the following where the mag is riveted and needed to be drilled out.

1 hour ago, StarGazer said:

I don't have any Hexmags I saw one video that showed an easy conversion and they I saw the following where the mag is riveted and needed to be drilled out.

Interesting, never heard of them, though even on sentry's own website the 10/30s don't show the rivet (but do mention it). So it sounds like it is either a new addition or an option. I own a number of gen 2 hexmag 10/30s bought around when NJ's bullshit went into effect and they are absolutely not riveted nor were they ever.

Where are there guidelines that state you can block or pin magazines? 

I thought you were given three options when the law was changed: 

a.     Transfer the semi-automatic rifle or magazine to any person or firm lawfully entitled to own or possess that firearm or magazine;

b.    Render the semi-automatic rifle or magazine inoperable; or

c.     Voluntarily surrender the semi-automatic rifle or magazine pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-12.

6 minutes ago, ronhonda said:

honestly why bother when you can buy them shortly from magpul.

With a MSRP of 17.95 I'm sure it could be found for less.

Plus shipping..

What if you already have like 20 Pmags?

Magblocks are like $4 each.

31 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Plus shipping..

What if you already have like 20 Pmags?

Magblocks are like $4 each.

I'm in the same boat. I might have a substantial amount of mags living in PA until further notice.

Also still cheaper than what most retailers were charging in the past.

14 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Interesting, never heard of them, though even on sentry's own website the 10/30s don't show the rivet (but do mention it). So it sounds like it is either a new addition or an option. I own a number of gen 2 hexmag 10/30s bought around when NJ's bullshit went into effect and they are absolutely not riveted nor were they ever.

I have many Gen 2 10/30 Hexmags, purchased at different times. The earlier ones had no rivet in the baseplate, the more recent ones did.  Their key is if the riser was missing the spring would be too short and they wouldn’t feed. 

As mentioned above, if you had 30-round springs you could throw out the riser and make the conversion...but it’s just as easy to get a spring as it is to drive 15 minutes west and buy standard cap mags if one were so inclined. So...:crazy: there’s no rationalizing 

Hi Everyone,

Assumeing that under the text NJ law that the use of a rivet or epoxy = permenant.  Then replacing the locking plate of a Magpul PMAG M3 30rd with a Magblock 10/30 limiter securing the bottom slide plate with a rivet or epoxy = legal.

My question is; If we replace the PMAG locking plate with the Magblock limiter and epoxy the spring to the Magblock limiter, leaving the bottom slide plate free to open for cleaning the magazine, is this still "permanent"?

I ask because I have seen Glock 15rd magazines limited with a Magblock 15/10 epoxied to the follower and the bottom plate left free so that the magazine can be opened for cleaning.