Jump to content
StarGazer

Converting 30 rd Pmag to 10 rds using Magblocks

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

my understanding had always been if it could "readily and easily" be converted to normal capacity. the hexmags can't be due to their spring being too short.

That falls into line with what I've been told with the Gock 15rd magazines.  That even though the base plate is not epoxied, they are not "readily and easily" converted back to original capacity because the follower would have to be replaced in order for it to hold 15rds again.  

In theory, if I epoxy the spring to the Magblock limiter, then to convert the PMAG back to 30 from 10 I would have to replace the spring and the locking plate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 1:44 AM, StarGazer said:

I don't have any Hexmags I saw one video that showed an easy conversion and they I saw the following where the mag is riveted and needed to be drilled out.

 

 

This guy sounds like Clinton

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

It did sound like Clinton. Useful info if we ever get back to 30 rounds!:)

yea, but when boners post this shit online, you know as well as me that the atf is gonna go after them eventually......or politicians will. imagine if they just decided that we can't have those 30 round bodies anymore? that's what this kind of crap's gonna get us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

It did sound like Clinton. Useful info if we ever get back to 30 rounds!:)

yea, but when boners post this shit online, you know as well as me that the atf is gonna go after them eventually......or politicians will. imagine if they just decided that we can't have those 30 round bodies anymore? that's what this kind of crap's gonna get us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

It did sound like Clinton. Useful info if we ever get back to 30 rounds!:)

yea, but when boners post this shit online, you know as well as me that the atf is gonna go after them eventually......or politicians will. imagine if they just decided that we can't have those 30 round bodies anymore? that's what this kind of crap's gonna get us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

yea, but when boners post this shit online, you know as well as me that the atf is gonna go after them eventually......or politicians will. imagine if they just decided that we can't have those 30 round bodies anymore? that's what this kind of crap's gonna get us.

Triple tap.    Yes I agree, First rule of fight club.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

yea, but when boners post this shit online, you know as well as me that the atf is gonna go after them eventually......or politicians will. imagine if they just decided that we can't have those 30 round bodies anymore? that's what this kind of crap's gonna get us.

You can say that again...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

yea, but when boners post this shit online, you know as well as me that the atf is gonna go after them eventually......or politicians will. imagine if they just decided that we can't have those 30 round bodies anymore? that's what this kind of crap's gonna get us.

I think some of you guys worry wwaaayyyyy too much about magazines. Remember, we had decades of larger cap mags neutered down to 15 rounds in larger bodies, and it never was an issue. I really doubt having larger bodies neutered to 10 rounds is any different.

No one will be examining epoxy, rivets, blockers, base plates, springs, etc.

Also, like I mentioned above, the 10 round law went into effect October 2018, 2-1/2 years ago. You think 10+ round mags haven't gone to the ranges since that time? Has anyone heard of someone getting busted for it?

My advice, stop worrying and go shoot what you got... The ATF has a lot larger fish to fry then worrying about mag bodies.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I think some of you guys worry wwaaayyyyy too much about magazines. Remember, we had decades of larger cap mags neutered down to 15 rounds in larger bodies, and it never was an issue. I really doubt having larger bodies neutered to 10 rounds is any different.

No one will be examining epoxy, rivets, blockers, base plates, springs, etc.

Also, like I mentioned above, the 10 round law went into effect October 2018, 2-1/2 years ago. You think 10+ round mags haven't gone to the ranges since that time? Has anyone heard of someone getting busted for it?

My advice, stop worrying and go shoot what you got... The ATF has a lot larger fish to fry then worrying about mag bodies.

This^^^

I think if they're looking at your mags..You have bigger issues to worry about.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

I think if they're looking at your mags..You have bigger issues to worry about.

Another thing I forgot to ask, has anyone had their mags "examined" by a RSO or any LEO when at the range to make sure they were 10 rounders, since the law was changed, or know of someone else who has?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Another thing I forgot to ask, has anyone had their mags "examined" by a RSO or any LEO when at the range to make sure they were 10 rounders, since the law was changed, or know of someone else who has?

At least the RSOs I know might say something if you peeled off 30 quick ones. I'd worry more about a "Karen"  making an issue. The RSO would then almost have to do something. 

Remember, stupid is as stupid does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I think some of you guys worry wwaaayyyyy too much about magazines. Remember, we had decades of larger cap mags neutered down to 15 rounds in larger bodies, and it never was an issue. I really doubt having larger bodies neutered to 10 rounds is any different.

No one will be examining epoxy, rivets, blockers, base plates, springs, etc.

Also, like I mentioned above, the 10 round law went into effect October 2018, 2-1/2 years ago. You think 10+ round mags haven't gone to the ranges since that time? Has anyone heard of someone getting busted for it?

My advice, stop worrying and go shoot what you got... The ATF has a lot larger fish to fry then worrying about mag bodies.

The issue is what the rule is. AWB era 10 round mags were a much different beast than what has been made for state compliance, and that was in part because the ATF evaluated the requirement. The reality is without banning tools and skill, they can't make any mag limit irreversible. Even something like the S&W 10 rounder for the M&P where it's a short body and a long floorplate isn't going to do it if you have a tig welder, the skill to use it, and access to normal floorplates (and 3d printers or a cnc machine gives you that from scratch). 

58 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Another thing I forgot to ask, has anyone had their mags "examined" by a RSO or any LEO when at the range to make sure they were 10 rounders, since the law was changed, or know of someone else who has?

Nope. But I shoot at private ranges and at matches mostly, so hardly a thorough example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told today by an FFL I trust that you cant even have 15 rounders sent to NJ with your new pistol for compliance work.  I did not know that.  I was under the impression that they could be made compliant and then transferred but I guess not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THE point is that if we all keep talking about it online(which i wish i wasn't saying this), then just like pistol braces, the atf's gonna go batshit on us. we'll all be walking around with ar's that look like we put their junk in chastity. yea. it's a weird analogy, but it's gonna happen if we're not careful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

THE point is that if we all keep talking about it online(which i wish i wasn't saying this), then just like pistol braces, the atf's gonna go batshit on us. we'll all be walking around with ar's that look like we put their junk in chastity. yea. it's a weird analogy, but it's gonna happen if we're not careful.

The atf doesn't have any mag limit regulations. They aren't going to go batshit on anyone because they literally 100% do not care at this moment. Not their rule, not their problem. 

Will the state AG care? Maybe, but do they want to take the case to SCOTUS right now? Doubt it. 

Additionally, you have the issue that literally nothing you do makes it impossible to convert a mag. With the sunset of the AWB there was more than one business that would take your metal 10 rounders, chop them up and tig weld them into mags with higher capacity. If it can be made, it can be remade with sufficient equipment and skill. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

THE point is that if we all keep talking about it online(which i wish i wasn't saying this), then just like pistol braces, the atf's gonna go batshit on us. we'll all be walking around with ar's that look like we put their junk in chastity. yea. it's a weird analogy, but it's gonna happen if we're not careful.

I still think you worry too much.

It's been said that there's 1 million gun owners in NJ. There's only a few dozen people that participate regularly on this forum, and some are from out of state. I truly doubt the AG has that much free time to "watch" the few people who post here. If that was the case, black SUVs or SWAT teams would have already shown up at some homes, and dragged some guys away.

I haven't heard of one report of that happening yet. Has anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sniper said:

If that was the case, black SUVs or SWAT teams would have already shown up at some homes, and dragged some guys away.

I haven't heard of one report of that happening yet. Has anyone else?

I mean, if they come take you away and put you in a hole, it's not like they give you a cell phone or computer to post, "hey guys, won't be posting anymore for 10-30 years, NJSP nabbed me lolz"

We all know this state is wasting tax dollars keeping tabs on this place in some manner or other.  All of us who can pass a background check are obviously the problem ones, not the guy who is out on parole or bail for the 14th time in the last 4 years with a multi-page list of felonies on his record.  Unlike Mr. ABSOLUTELY reformed THIS time who DEFINITELY won't get arrested and bailed out a 15th time in a few months tops, I'm willing to bet that the level of interaction most of us have with a cops is still at worst a speeding ticket.

IMO, do whatever level of permanent you are comfortable with.  If you choose not to fully comply, that's on you.  I'd suggest in that case to avoid drawing attention to yourself.  If you've made efforts to make the mag compliant, I highly doubt you're gonna get further scrutiny unless something else has gone seriously wrong, in which case, you are probably screwed no matter what you do, because they can always try throwing whatever bullshit they want at you and see what sticks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is most people are nabbed when served with a TRO or when there is a house fire and the police come to seize/secure the firearms (and magazines/ammo depending on the dept.). There is a common denominator there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...